Looper Need Help - Grand Banks Folks Please Read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
This has just been posted on the MTOA forum - if anyone can help him let me know and I will put you in touch.

We have a 1977 Grand Banks 36 Classic with Twin 120’s. Had some issues on the Loop, and currently being repaired in Port Charles MO. I am in need of a strainer basket for the engine cooling intake. (Ours came apart and they say it can’t be welded). The part is discontinued and will be 14 days for the factory part.

Anyone have a spare they would be willing to sell and ship?

Thanks in advance

This has just been posted on the MTOA forum - if anyone can help him let me know and I will put you in touch.

We have a 1977 Grand Banks 36 Classic with Twin 120’s. Had some issues on the Loop, and currently being repaired in Port Charles MO. I am in need of a strainer basket for the engine cooling intake. (Ours came apart and they say it can’t be welded). The part is discontinued and will be 14 days for the factory part.

Thanks in advance
Anyone wishing to help will need to know the maker and model number of the strainer. By the way, the reason that strainer basket failed on that boat is a story unto itself.

Usually it is the handle that has come loose because, incorrect positioning prior to screw on the filter top.
Happened to me, was the weekend and didn't have the cash to buy one. I was able to straighten the handle, drilled the necessary holes between the handle (using the weld marks as a guide) and the basket, screwed in a SS screw and presto, "good enough"
What did I learn? Always carry at least one spare basket for each strainer body, secured near the strainer itself.

When you determine the manufacture of the sea strainer body, pleases post here. I have a terrible feeling I may have same strainer bodies.
Mine are made in China.
This may be the time to change over to Groco.

Thanks in advance
Rather than waiting two weeks (or more) for a discontinued part and paying for dockage, I would simply buy an easily-obtainable whole new Groco strainer. I would think it less expensive overall. I had a similar experience in Midland, Ontario and did just that. I was on my way in two days.

Rather than waiting two weeks (or more) for a discontinued part and paying for dockage, I would simply buy an easily-obtainable whole new Groco strainer. I would think it less expensive overall. I had a similar experience in Midland, Ontario and did just that. I was on my way in two days.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Even if you have to haul it and install a new seacock.

Might as well change out the strainer hose while you are at it.

I cant think of a reason to haul the boat to change out the filter housing.
My experience has been, there is always a length of hose from the hull valve to the inlet to the SW strainer.

Back
Top Bottom