Old 01-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #41

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Nobody said anything about hopper dredges...I work for a dredging company and equipment can move sand,rock mud or what have you. I'm not saying its economically feasable. It probably isn't but its done in similar inlet situations worldwide, where economically worthwhile. "dig for floatation isn't a new concept. Equipment always available money, not so much...
Equipment can move sand, rock, mud and whatever. My comments was targeted to our state in particular. You may or may not know that the problem in particular to our region is where do you place the displaced material with all of the development. This is where the hopper dredges and bucket and barge setup comes into play.

You have less set up with the hopper dredges and they can cut a sanded in area from an inlet much more quickly if the inlet is large enough for the equipment to maneuver safely. Then they can dump offshore. But we do not have but a limited amounts of the smaller ones.

And FWIW the folks that like to enjoy our beaches are partial to "just the right type of sand to place on our beaches for the renourishment programs. . Afterall our area is called the Crystal Coast for a very good reason too.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #42
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I think an "environmentally conscious boater" would sell his/her boat and take up golf or knitting. A person who calls himself "environmentally conscious" wouldn't be buying a boat made from petroleum, filling it up with gas or diesel and then burning the fossil fuel going places he/she doesn't need to go and back at 3 miles per gallon. :roll eyes:

It's amazing how many environmentally conscious people have boats, cars, etc., but think its ok for them but not for you. The whole EPA should have been shut down years ago.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
Equipment can move sand, rock, mud and whatever. My comments was targeted to our state in particular. You may or may not know that the problem in particular to our region is where do you place the displaced material with all of the development. This is where the hopper dredges and bucket and barge setup comes into play.

You have less set up with the hopper dredges and they can cut a sanded in area from an inlet much more quickly if the inlet is large enough for the equipment to maneuver safely. Then they can dump offshore. But we do not have but a limited amounts of the smaller ones.

And FWIW the folks that like to enjoy our beaches are partial to "just the right type of sand to place on our beaches for the renourishment programs. . Afterall our area is called the Crystal Coast for a very good reason too.
Have seen hydraulic dredges pump to cleared land, spoil islands or parking lots, drained, then trucked or barged away....or just pumped offshore. Where there is a will there is a way. Plus they have dredged inside the inlets south of Cape Fear in the last year ir so.....the spoil went someplace.

Sure hoppers are in and out quick, but I dont believe they can do an already shallow inlet and also I believe they move a fraction of the sand over time.

Guessing good for maintenance dredging but not in the shoaled in state the inlets I am thinking of are currently in.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #44

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
It's amazing how many environmentally conscious people have boats, cars, etc., but think its ok for them but not for you. The whole EPA should have been shut down years ago.
Yep. Doesn't Al Gore have a large private jet?

Back on topic, I participate in several groups that are specifically for boating the great loop. I'll probably never do it myself but I cruise part of it each year.

The thought of the great loop being closed has never come up on those groups so I think it's a pretty far fetched thought. Possible, but not likely. Sure, there's a cost to keep it open but there's also a significant financial gain to the various towns and cities along the way. And there is still commercial traffic on significant parts of the loop.

Someone mentioned tolls and states spending tax money on parts of the loop. There is a toll on the Erie Canal. You buy a pass for certain time periods or the whole season. The tolls may or may not pay the entire cost of maintaining the canal, but like the rest of the loop, the Erie Canal brings a lot of business and money to the towns along its length.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #45
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
There was an article last year I posted about the Erie Canal and thoughts about shutting it down.

I thought there were some financials about water management thoughout the state and how that would impact much more than just the canal..... so therecare external pressures besides boaters....to a point.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Interesting (not) that there are so many skeptics on TF of all places. One might be left with the impression that completing the loop takes precedence over the environment.

Close the locks and provide a land bridge, or do the eastern portion down to Chicago and return in the clockwise direction. It's the best part anyway. Do something for the environment...support the lock closure. Contact your representatives. (Fat chance).
I don't think anyone is arguing the Loop over the environment. Think it's more a matter of exploring other possibilities. Most of the commercial traffic goes through the Calumet river. It might be possible to close the lock at Chicago and use the spillway to control water level in the Chicago river (they're not going to let it go dry). Then reduce the water flow through the Calumet to locking procedures only, and chlorinate it. That would provide a toxic barrier (along with all the pollution in that waterway ) to keep all living organisms from transiting through. Make the chlorinated section 5 miles long. Chlorine such as what's used in pools, has a relatively short half life in open air. So the water should be chlorine free before it reaches the confluence of the Calumet and Chicago rivers.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #47
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Closing the passage through Chicago could stop the Asian Carp from migrating into the Great Lakes
I wonder why the lake is not already infested given how prolific reproducers they are. Lake water too cold perhaps?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
I should hope that every environmentally conscious boater would support closing the locks at Chicago.
I am environmentally concious and I do NOT support closing the locks.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
As I said in my earlier post, the national politics are tilting toward closure. Pointing to what's happened in other lakes is a crutch to avoid making hard decisions regarding the health of this national wonder. The GLCA is an enemy to the Great Lakes sport and commercial fishing community.
I don't care about your sport fishing. Really, do you think cuz you like fishing your "rights" trump all others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Unfortunately, closing the locks will likely not prevent the inevitable. Hint: the Asian carp didn't come to the USA through a lock. I support trying to prevent the carp from getting in the Great lakes, but they have already been found in land locked lakes. Preventing trailerable boats and wild birds from unintentionally transporting the eggs will be the far greater challenge.

Ted
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
It seems a tough task to fight billions of years of weather and natural coastal subsidence for the sake of developers and recreational boaters. This reality is not lost on other parts of the country fighting for Corps funds. There is little sympathy towards the ICW by a Missouri Congressman who is arguing for his own district's Mississippi River dredging and lock money.
Same old tired argument. Using that analogy why should New Yorkers and Californians pay for infrastructure improvements of any sort in small population states? Fund your own if you will.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
I don't fish...never have. I am, however, familiar with the huge cost associated with invasive species in the Great Lakes. The alewife fish invasion in the 1960's left huge banks of dead fish all around the Lakes. Zebra mussels continue to clog power plant intakes, the gobie fish are gobbling up the smaller food fish and killing some species of sport fish with their vicious spines. The lamprey eel is sucking the life out of native fish and rivers and streams are routinely poisoned in an attempt to kill them off. Invasive plant life clogs harbors forcing expensive "harvesting" of weeds. Another nasty invasion is the last thing the Great Lakes need. So, for all you environmentally responsible boaters out there, I implore you to ask the GLCA to lobby for closure of the locks at Chicago.
And yet the lake is still there.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #52
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Same old tired argument. Using that analogy why should New Yorkers and Californians pay for infrastructure improvements of any sort in small population states? Fund your own if you will.
Cj

My post wasn't analogy, it was right of the Corps annual budgeting process as they allocate very large funds to the river flood restoration areas, locks and commercial endeavors over recreation. From New Orleans to Minneapolis the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers are huge drivers of the nations water borne commerce. The Savannah area because they are the nations 4th largest container port likewise get major funding to keep those specific waterways open.

Does this mean funds are not headed to the ICW for dredging? Not at all, but it is the proverbial tail wagging the dog analogy - oops.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #53

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Loop Lifespan

I’ve been boating on Lake Erie nearly 20 years, having relocated here from the west coast. Every year, according to a large number of people, is going to be the last year.

The water levels were predicted to be so low all the marinas would be mud, and there was no money to relocate the public ramps.

Most of the year before last the water was so high I had to wade on the dock, and many of my slip mates extended their dock posts. Large slips don’t have floating docks.

Last year the water was above the dock the first two months of the season.

Then we had the algae scare. The algae bloom, brought on by fertilizer, would kill all the fish in two years. There was a lean year. Last season the perch fishing, the big draw in the Western basin, was some of the best ever with many people catching their limit in a few hours. The fish cleaning places were begging for workers.

Global warming meant the lakes would never freeze again, which would result in all the fish dying off. Two years ago we had record ice, and here we are this year with the entire marina frozen hard already.

Nobody ever got rich preaching that nature is cyclical, we don’t know near as much as we arrogantly assert, and quite often things just work themselves out.

YMMV
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #54

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Good information and opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I think an "environmentally conscious boater" would sell his/her boat and take up golf or knitting. A person who calls himself "environmentally conscious" wouldn't be buying a boat made from petroleum, filling it up with gas or diesel and then burning the fossil fuel going places he/she doesn't need to go and back at 3 miles per gallon.
Interesting topic, with a lot of good information and opinions. I like this kind of frank expression of opinions and I like others, agree or disagree. I was told not to discuss religion or politics in public by my Mother, if she could advise me today she might include climate change/ man-made global warming to her list. I like to think that as a power boater I/we try to be environmentally responsible without going to the extreme of only boating in a wooden canoe. Climate change, man-made global warming are hot button topics.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Interesting topic, with a lot of good information and opinions. I like this kind of frank expression of opinions and I like others, agree or disagree. I was told not to discuss religion or politics in public by my Mother, if she could advise me today she might include climate change/ man-made global warming to her list. I like to think that as a power boater I/we try to be environmentally responsible without going to the extreme of only boating in a wooden canoe. Climate change, man-made global warming are hot button topics.
Climate change is real and man made. But I don't take a chance on discussing it. But have no fear the CMP [Chemtrail Management Program] is working 24/7 to deal with this for the future generations.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #56
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
But I don't take a chance on discussing it. .
You just did.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
You just did.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #58

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
The reality is, damage to the planet is caused by humans. The solution is to get rid of the humans. Or reduce the population to prehistoric levels.

I try to be environmentally responsible to a degree, but I've worked hard all my life and I'm not going to sit on my porch in a rocking chair until I die.

So, I bought a boat and I burn fossil fuel. I expect everyone on this forum does.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #59
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
Nobody ever got rich preaching that nature is cyclical, we don’t know near as much as we arrogantly assert, and quite often things just work themselves out.

YMMV
So true. Plenty have sure gotten rich preaching doom and gloom.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #60

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Quote:
Climate change is real and man made. But I don't take a chance on discussing it. But have no fear the CMP [Chemtrail Management Program] is working 24/7 to deal with this for the future generations.
Yes you did!
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote