Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
Guru
 
magna 6882's Avatar
 
City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 544
looks like Canada cancelled all nexus appointments

Got an email my nexus appointment has been cancelled. They said all appointments are being cancelled and to check back later.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:25 AM   #2
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,640
What is a Nexus appointment, just for the uninitiated - like me for instance..?
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:34 AM   #3
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,834
Nexus is a secret society of cross border travelers that can mostly travel between Canada and the USA with mostly a wave and a smile, trusted travelers pre screened. With a boat you phone in your intentions and have a nice day.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:37 AM   #4
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 759
Wasn't that done in December already?
Maybe the backlog is such they are just getting to you now.
Edit...
Yeah, here it is; "DECEMBER 17, 2021...the CBSA will again temporarily suspend NEXUS interviews at enrolment centres in the United States starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice."
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:48 AM   #5
Guru
 
magna 6882's Avatar
 
City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 544
What gets me is even if they are eliminating travel again across the border wouldn't it make sense to keep up with the backlog of applicants so when the border does open at some time there wont be so large a backlog.They can do the zoom interviews. Just seems nuts to ignore there will be an end to this madness or perhaps they dont want it to end.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:49 AM   #6
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Wasn't that done in December already?
Maybe the backlog is such they are just getting to you now.
Edit...
Yeah, here it is; "DECEMBER 17, 2021...the CBSA will again temporarily suspend NEXUS interviews at enrolment centres in the United States starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice."
I received an email warning of that back in September and suggested to renew early, which I did and have the new card. No interview, however recent emails are confusing since it says interviews postponed indefinitely, but I have not re interviewed since original registration, so not sure it these emails are for renewals too.
New candidates are on hold until they open again.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:08 AM   #7
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
I received an email warning of that back in September and suggested to renew early.
Yup.

NOVEMBER 16, 2021; Existing NEXUS members who renew their membership before the expiry date printed on their card will retain their membership privileges for a 24 months grace period beyond their scheduled expiration. Therefore, please apply to renew your NEXUS membership before it expires.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:26 AM   #8
Guru
 
magna 6882's Avatar
 
City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 544
my wifes interview was on the day and she hasn't got an email yet but like you say they have already shut it down the are just slow at notifying. I wish i would have caught the news. We usually go south in the winter but cancelled our plans so we would be here for the interviews .Did use the time for boat work though.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Shrew's Avatar
 
City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,492
Technically, they have not announced that either the US or Canada is closing the border. They have announced that they are suspending all nexus INTERVIEWS. This also doesn't mean you can't travel to Canada. It simply means you must follow the normal process, rather than a phone call and a thank you.

Let's not blow this out of proportion.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #10
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew;
Technically, they have not announced that either the US or Canada is closing the border. They have announced that they are suspending all nexus INTERVIEWS. This also doesn't mean you can't travel to Canada. It simply means you must follow the normal process, rather than a phone call and a thank you.
Exactly and Iím glad you point this out. How many cross border travelers use Nexus anyway? This has more to do with (covid) human contact and staffing, than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew;
Let's not blow this out of proportion.
Well thatís what happens when people spend their day scouring the internet for headlines and donít actually read the content. Or worse, leave the research and reality for others to post.

The delay in contacting pass holders should also be acceptable, how often on here do we read about the slowness of bureaucracy? And it WAS announced well in advance.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #11
TF Site Team
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,092
The Nexus program survives. It is the application for a Nexus pass from someone not yet in the program that was suspended early in Covid that has again been shelved, indefinitely. It is all about human contact for that interview, a very important step in the process, that won't be resuming any time soon.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #12
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The Nexus program survives. It is the application for a Nexus pass from someone not yet in the program that was suspended early in Covid that has again been shelved, indefinitely. It is all about human contact for that interview, a very important step in the process, that won't be resuming any time soon.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #13
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,619
It will be interesting to see if NEXUS will be shut down altogether this coming summer. Last summer NEXUS cards were not accepted.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #14
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,277
I renewed my nexus just when covid started, did not need an appointment but was informed that they closed any appointment and postponed them and gave a year of extension because request processing was slower.
If nexus was not accepted last summer it was certainly because border was closed.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #15
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction;
Last summer NEXUS cards were not accepted.
When you cleared Customs northbound last year, did CBSA remove anything from your boat?
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:58 PM   #16
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
When you cleared Customs northbound last year, did CBSA remove anything from your boat?
Nope. We were good.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #17
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Nope. We were good.
I asked because, with the land borders closed, there were a number of landlubbers staffing the marine border.

Some didn't understand boat travel on our coast and so were a little overzealous.

Potatoes were a frequent target, leading me to think some of the agents were from PQ and into poutine.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #18
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I asked because, with the land borders closed, there were a number of landlubbers staffing the marine border.



Some didn't understand boat travel on our coast and so were a little overzealous.



Potatoes were a frequent target, leading me to think some of the agents were from PQ and into poutine.
The Admiral does a good job looking at the rules and making sure we were in compliance. Last year anything with seeds were not allowed. She leaves her priced Orchie at the plant sitters.

The one thing they did hit us hard on was firearms. They asked us several times if we had any firearms on board.

1. Do you have any firearms on board?

2. Do you have any ammo on board?

3. Do you have any firearms cleaning products on board? (Good thing I threw the cleaning patches over)

4. Do you own firearms?

5. Specifically which firearms do you own.

6. Where do you store your firearms?

7. Do you have any firearms training?

8. Do you have any concealed weapons permits. Which States?

They then again asked me if I had any firearms? Do you understand what will happen if we find firearms?? Last chance!

I have taken firearms across when traveling to Alaska by road. Just long guns. No pistols.

I do have a nice ss 410 shotgun that I would like to take to shoot the big halibut, but it's just too much of a PIA. As NEXUS holders, I like the fact of just calling in. With a shotgun on board, reporting to a land base border station is required.

So we just leave it at home.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:07 AM   #19
Guru
 
Portage_Bay's Avatar
 
City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post



Potatoes were a frequent target, leading me to think some of the agents were from PQ and into poutine.
In years past I've had potatoes taken off at Sidney. They were Idaho spuds. So I walked up the road and bought more Idaho spuds.
__________________
Some things are worth doing simply because they are worth doing.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:13 AM   #20
Guru
 
Portage_Bay's Avatar
 
City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
The Admiral does a good job looking at the rules and making sure we were in compliance. Last year anything with seeds were not allowed. She leaves her priced Orchie at the plant sitters.

The one thing they did hit us hard on was firearms. They asked us several times if we had any firearms on board.

1. Do you have any firearms on board?

2. Do you have any ammo on board?

3. Do you have any firearms cleaning products on board? (Good thing I threw the cleaning patches over)

4. Do you own firearms?

5. Specifically which firearms do you own.

6. Where do you store your firearms?

7. Do you have any firearms training?

8. Do you have any concealed weapons permits. Which States?

They then again asked me if I had any firearms? Do you understand what will happen if we find firearms?? Last chance!

I have taken firearms across when traveling to Alaska by road. Just long guns. No pistols.

I do have a nice ss 410 shotgun that I would like to take to shoot the big halibut, but it's just too much of a PIA. As NEXUS holders, I like the fact of just calling in. With a shotgun on board, reporting to a land base border station is required.

So we just leave it at home.
I've had a similar experience. They also asked about drugs. Repeated the full set of questions 3 times then said "Last chance. Do you want to change any of your answers?". When I declined to change answers they conducted a thorough search. I don't want to imply that was a typical border clearance. Usually it is quite smooth and straightforward.
__________________
Some things are worth doing simply because they are worth doing.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012