Old 01-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #21

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
While asking if you have firearms or ammo aboard is within their rights, the questions about whether you own firearms, have training, or a concealed carry permit in the US seems downright creepy. What possible business is it of Canada what you do solely in the USA? This has some deeply disturbing overtones and one assumes they're sharing data with and getting data from the US. I assume that they're aware that criminals don't permit weapons and would lie anyway.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Going to canada from seattle to see relatives has always been easy but just before covid we went up with the motorhome for a few days and had trouble getting back into the states. I have air brakes and was told to turn off the engine but not to engage the spring brakes likely because they dont like the sound. He kept asking me questions about what the rig cost and what i did for a living to afford it. As time went on the air pressure kept going down since i had the brake pedal pushed. At around 60 psi the spring brakes automatically went off as designed. This caused the guy to get pissed off and ask us to get out of the rig while they detained us for an hour or so with the rig still blocking the lane and them trying to direct traffic. Just a total joke. Going into canada they are happy to have us and very accommodating at the boarder. Getting nexus for me was not to get into canada easy it was to get back.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:21 AM   #23

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
I've always found US customs more of a pain. Each year they seem to choose which US sourced vegetable that can't re-cross back into the US. One year they yelled at us because my son jumped off to help with the lines in a 40' single screw. They threatened a $50,000 fine. Really? They certainly weren't helping with the lines and landing a 40' single is much easier if a young person can jump ashore, but don't dare do it near a customers person. Just plain inane.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:37 AM   #24
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
looks like Canada cancelled all nexus appointments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
While asking if you have firearms or ammo aboard is within their rights, the questions about whether you own firearms, have training, or a concealed carry permit in the US seems downright creepy. What possible business is it of Canada what you do solely in the USA? This has some deeply disturbing overtones and one assumes they're sharing data with and getting data from the US. I assume that they're aware that criminals don't permit weapons and would lie anyway.

Why is it disturbing? This isnít the state line between Washington and Idaho. They donít have to let you in.

And yes there is a tremendous amount of data shared between law enforcement in both countries. Much of which Iím aware of from working before retirement, some of which Iím probably not.

And I agree, despite still being a little sore about being busted by them for untaxed bear spray back in 1999* I would take Canadian Border Services every day of the week and twice on Sunday compared to USCBP.

*sore because, like the anecdote about potatoes above, I continued my drive to Waterton and bought the same brand and size that they had just confiscated.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo;
While asking if you have firearms or ammo aboard is within their rights, the questions about whether you own firearms, have training, or a concealed carry permit in the US seems downright creepy. What possible business is it of Canada what you do solely in the USA? This has some deeply disturbing overtones and one assumes they're sharing data with and getting data from the US.
Downright creepy? Really?
Are you naÔve or just didn’t think this through?

They also ask if you have ever smoked weed. Not ok?
Pretty much any question they ask is related to things done solely in the US.

Would your exceptionalism lead you to believe they shouldn’t be allowed to ask about (pick a crime) done solely in the US? Would you say anyone entering your country, from anywhere south of the US, should be exempt from the same questions by CBP?

CBSA, as with any country’s border agents, can ask any question they like and you have every right to tell them it’s none of their business. More often than not, the question and answer are not meaningful. How you answer, is.

More than once I’ve had border agents in both directions ask about my motorcycle or boat for purely personal reasons, unrelated to travel, just because they had a similar interest.

And yes. Huge amounts of data are shared. They might know more about you than your family does and that works going both ways.

They might even have your Facebook open before you come to a full stop at the booth.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
With only a tiny bit of training in cross examination (I hope they get more than a tiny bit) the border agents will only be interested in you when your answers are "interesting" to them. It is those interesting answers that will generate the next question, then the next.......

As for data sharing, they have never stared at their screen while I have waited, long enough for even a speed reader to see more than just what my license plate number will bring up about my history of contact with authorities in the country I am entering. If, as a result of "interesting" answers, you get moved to the parking area and need to go inside, they have time to look further, but do they?

When I have gone inside (never for a secondary inspection) it was always clear to me that the agent inside had not looked at even what the guy outside had time to see.

I am not concerned about that level of interrogation.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #27
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Must say some nice things about US border guys.
We were clearing customs at the airport and I could tell this guy was a newb the way the other two observed him before it was my turn. Got the wand and then the pat down. Then have a seat and take off the shoes. (I have Nexus) I knew he was going through the motions. So he proceeds to feel, not pat my foot, going so far as a gentle massage.

He then stops and starts to get up from one knee and I said wait, you missed a spot. That felt good, can you do it some more. He was shocked but the other two guys could not hold the laughter back.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for both sides. Regarding firearms, it's their job to ask and didn't bother me. The above was just my experience at the dock. Love NEXUS.

The last couple of years when crossing back to the U.S. I was asked for my LAT/LONG.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
... Would your exceptionalism lead you to believe they shouldnít be allowed to ask about (pick a crime) done solely in the US? Would you say anyone entering your country, from anywhere south of the US, should be exempt from the same questions by CBP?

CBSA, as with any countryís border agents, can ask any question they like and you have every right to tell them itís none of their business. More often than not, the question and answer are not meaningful. How you answer, is.
Have a DUI on your record? Good chance Canada won't let you in.

FWIW, I've always had a harder time with USCBP getting back into the US, than entering Canada.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #30

City: Exeter,
Regarding NEXUS. We have been preliminarily approved for NEXUS pending our interview. The interview was cancelled due to Covid last year. We have continued to try to maintain contact for an interview but, about a month ago we received an email that our application has been cancelled. Have not been successful contacting a human and emails have gone unanswered.
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #31
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
We both just got approved for Global Entry. Mainly for flying, but wonder if it will help for marine entry?? We have special cards!!!
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Must say some nice things about US border guys.
We were clearing customs at the airport and I could tell this guy was a newb the way the other two observed him before it was my turn. Got the wand and then the pat down. Then have a seat and take off the shoes. (I have Nexus) I knew he was going through the motions. So he proceeds to feel, not pat my foot, going so far as a gentle massage.

He then stops and starts to get up from one knee and I said wait, you missed a spot. That felt good, can you do it some more. He was shocked but the other two guys could not hold the laughter back.
The other 2 guys were laughing, really? I would think you would have been afforded further scrutiny for mocking a fellow officer. The last time I crossed the Canadian border was in the 70's, Detroit - Windsor. Actually crossed it dozens of times in my younger years. The border officers were always the epitome of professionalism on both sides of the border. Must be a union shop now. Your recount makes me shake my head.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #33

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
I have global entry for many years. My NEXUS has been pending for months. Not canceled though.
jimdavi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #34

City: Camden, Maine
Vessel Name: Willie Dawes
Vessel Model: Newburyport 37
Lots of us use Nexus. It gets you thru airports quicker, and best part is usually when crossing border by boat, it is just a phone call, both ways, no stopping, as long as all people on board have the card.

Some Nexus cards are renewed by mail, some need interview. I needed interview, wife did not. No explanation. 3 hour car ride for 5 minute interview and thump printing.

Interviews were closed for over a year, then briefly opened, then closed again for Omicron concerns.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #35

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: Hokulele
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48NS
I have an appointment for a Nexus interview at the end of March. After reading your posts I checked on-line and I still have my interview scheduled. There was no post regarding canceling upcoming interviews.
Efrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
One thing to be aware of if thinking of applying for Nexus is that the application will stall renewal of any other rapid entry creditation. For example Global Entry.

I was a Global Entry holder and applied for Nexus. There were no interviews obviously for two years so my Nexus app just sat there. In the meantime my Global Entry was coming up for expiry.

I was unable to renew Global Entry because of the pending Nexus application. This was verified in several lengthy discussions with CBP.

Ultimately in order to renew my Global Entry prior to its expiry I had to withdraw my Nexus application (and forfeit the application fee).

Once I had completed that, the online tool allowed me to renew Global Entry.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:43 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
AlanT How is Global entry different. I was wondering why there were different plans when Nexus covers air sea and land
Old 01-27-2022, 11:02 AM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
AlanT How is Global entry different. I was wondering why there were different plans when Nexus covers air sea and land
Nexus is $50 every 5 years. GLobal Entry is $100 every 5 years. Nexus gives entry to US only from Canada, whereas Global Entry applies to arrivals from all Countries.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote