Looking for a wind instrument or a weather station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I’m looking to add a wind instrument for my boat and found the Airmar 220WX as a possible solution.

The challenge is getting this data to something I can display it on, like a Ipad.

Has anybody figured out a NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 to ethernet solution and a customizable app?

Airmar has a app but they do not list compatible sensor to ethernet converters.

It would be cool if somebody has done this.

Acurite have a mobile application that allows to display the station data to your phone or tablet.
Ecowitt has pc software to do the same.

L

I have a Maretron display, that takes in my Airmar weathercaster info via N2K. I see they also have N2K view for iPad, etc.

Jim

Hang gliding supplies for “air speed indicator”.

I swapped out my wind instruments last year on my sailboat when I was getting everything on a N2K network. In addition to cockpit displays my Garmin 942xs MFD has a set of wind pages that give me everything I need, and I use Active Captain over WiFi to mirror the MFD on a waterproof tablet. This arrangement has worked well for me. Check your MFD, but I get the sense that most modern units will grab data off the network and calculate true wind speed and direction, provide graphing, etc.

I swapped out my wind instruments last year on my sailboat when I was getting everything on a N2K network. In addition to cockpit displays my Garmin 942xs MFD has a set of wind pages that give me everything I need, and I use Active Captain over WiFi to mirror the MFD on a waterproof tablet. This arrangement has worked well for me. Check your MFD, but I get the sense that most modern units will grab data off the network and calculate true wind speed and direction, provide graphing, etc.

My challenge is that I have a vintage 2005 very nice set of integrated dispalys that are Furuno Navnet VX2. Great gear but unfortunately prior generation. NMEA 0183

I am sure that I can get NMEA 0183 into the Furuno units, and display it, but I already have a three display helm station. I am really hoping that I can get this on my Ipad as well. Perhaps I could use a NMEA 200 to network converter?

Sounds like I’m wanting to take a simple function, wind and make it really complicated :blush:

My challenge is that I have a vintage 2005 very nice set of integrated dispalys that are Furuno Navnet VX2. Great gear but unfortunately prior generation. NMEA 0183

I am sure that I can get NMEA 0183 into the Furuno units, and display it, but I already have a three display helm station. I am really hoping that I can get this on my Ipad as well. Perhaps I could use a NMEA 200 to network converter?

Sounds like I’m wanting to take a simple function, wind and make it really complicated :blush:

Thing I like about the Sailtimer is that it is uncomplicated from installation to execution. Nicely made piece of kit primarily aimed at users for whom wind is the whole ballgame.

For plain old weather, I like the simple La Crosse stations, good customer service and so cheap as to be almost disposable. And actually, their wind function is pretty darn good if apparent direction and speed are all you need, just need to do the math in your head for actuals.

Thing I like about the Sailtimer is that it is uncomplicated from installation to execution. Nicely made piece of kit primarily aimed at users for whom wind is the whole ballgame.

For plain old weather, I like the simple La Crosse stations, good customer service and so cheap as to be almost disposable. And actually, their wind function is pretty darn good if apparent direction and speed are all you need, just need to do the math in your head for actuals.

You have the Sailtimer then???

It sure sounds easy, and it sure sounds like a lot of trouble if i want to make the leap from apparent to true wind displayed.

I don't know Kevin, call me a cheap old fart (Crusty hush) I bought mine at Lowe's for $50. It doesn't show me the direction of the wind, I can see that on my burgee, but it tells me everything else. The sensors for wind and temp are Bluetooth and mounted on my arch. Been working great for 7 years

Cheap maybe, maybe a bit conservative but it works.

Me, I got an Acurite weather station from Bass Pro Shops, probably on Amazon also. Does everything I want it to. Now almost 3 years later and still going strong. Still has the original batteries. Not sure if it is Bluetooth but no wires to the small panel.

Good luck Kevin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom