Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow, WA
Vessel Name: Red Knot
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Makrolon Semi-rigid Enclosure Windows

I am considering using this for my flybridge enclosure update. They have a new product called Makrolon Marine 5 that has some flexibility The less expensive product that they don't recommend bending at all is Makrolon AR.

Have you had experience with these products? One installer claims that, in his experience with many installations, you can have some curvature in the AR product. He also says he has installations that are 10 years old and still in good shape.

Thanks!

Harlen
Harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #2

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
I put Makrolon AR in the side aft deck windows and the front flybridge window a year ago. While I wouldn’t try to put a sharp bend in it, it’s reasonably flexible, as in won’t break if you put a little flex in it. I’m sure by “cheaper” you meant “not quite so ridiculously expensive”.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
My Lexan (Margard) has a very nice 90 degree curve to it on both forward sides of the enclosure.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
I put Makrolon AR in the side aft deck windows and the front flybridge window a year ago. While I wouldn’t try to put a sharp bend in it, it’s reasonably flexible, as in won’t break if you put a little flex in it. I’m sure by “cheaper” you meant “not quite so ridiculously expensive”.
Actually, I guess you didn’t say “cheaper”, you said “less expensive”...never mind.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Our front three panels are Makrolon, but I don't know which version. There's some slight curvature, and when we lift the center panel to pin it to the hardtop -- with the Sunbrella fabric acting as the hinge -- the Makrolon necessarily flexes just a bit to clear some obstructions. No problems noted.

They've been there 24/7 since 2009, and this year the lower segments of the two outer panels have begun to yellow/haze. I suspect this is where sunlight is most intense. Might have seen the same results on the center panel except we often have that pinned up/open, so it maybe hasn't seen quite the same amount of sunlight over the years.

But we've decided to replace all three panels over this next winter; we've gotten our money's worth. This time I'll pay more attention which Makrolon product we want, though.

-Chris
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
My Lexan (Margard) has a very nice 90 degree curve to it on both forward sides of the enclosure.
Tom, I'm scheduled for a new 4 sided enclosure in November....(Lexan- polycarbonate.)
Anything I should be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0725.jpg  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I used Makrolon to renew my flybridge spray shield windows. 4 years later still looks like the day I put it on.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Tom, I'm scheduled for a new 4 sided enclosure in November....(Lexan- polycarbonate.)
Anything I should be aware of?
Walt I will send you a bevy of pictures in a few weeks. Will you be using Stamoid?

As usual, the installer will play a big role in determining how good a job you end up with. Have you seen a few different boats he has done?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Will you be using Stamoid?

As usual, the installer will play a big role in determining how good a job you end up with. Have you seen a few different boats he has done?
I'll have to check on the type of Lexan.The installer is the oldest shop in San Diego. He has done several jobs for me in the past but this is the first Lexan product for me. He has done others and they look fantastic!