Old 02-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Parts manual for your boat????

You're laughing aren't you!!!???!!! One of the very nice advantages of owning a boat made here in the USofA is the documentation available for your boat. Anyway, for those searching for boats and not considering a US built boat.....check this out....

A parts manual for my boat!!!...at the click of a mouse. Yes, I am bragging.

http://www.carveryachts.com/media/38...-manual_01.pdf
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
I wonder how many other makes provide such details.
Nice drawings however they don't show the supplier part number only the carver part number.

I had a 1997 Carver and IMO they are very underrated. Call it a trawler and everyone would want one.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Nice drawings however they don't show the supplier part number only the carver part number.
That is a correct statement. But most of us have these computers in our pockets that we type on. If you can figure it out, you can actually make a phone call on them!!!! You call that CS number and a friggin' HUMAN ANSWERS THE PHONE!!!!!!! I am not kidding!!! And when they do, you simply say, "Parts please". And they transfer you!!!! No shit!!!! And then the parts guy picks up the call and you ask him about it!!! And then he provides you with the vendor part number!!!!! You just can't make this shit up!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Hatteras is to my knowledge the best for this. They can get you the manual and the "as built" detailed blueprint drawings and important specs for your hull number, almost to the very beginning of the brand. Pure gold. The spin off of their parts department, Sam's Marine, is a treasure trove of knowledge and access to the old and obscure... or the modern replacement thereto.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Maurader
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Trawler
I've been thinking of doing this specifically for my boat, along with a wiring diagram. Anyone know what programs are good for such a thing?
kyle911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Hatteras and Carver are the exceptions. Mainship sure didn't do this, and their wiring diagrams for new boats (until they went bankrupt, wonder why?) are mickey mouse.

Older Grand Banks were good, but not today.

I loved my old Cape Dory power cruiser. In the owner's manual every part was listed with the manufacturer and the part number for that manufacturer. No real wiring diagrams though.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Hatteras and Carver are the exceptions. Mainship sure didn't do this, and their wiring diagrams for new boats (until they went bankrupt, wonder why?) are mickey mouse.

Older Grand Banks were good, but not today.

I loved my old Cape Dory power cruiser. In the owner's manual every part was listed with the manufacturer and the part number for that manufacturer. No real wiring diagrams though.

David
I would agree with you there, David. Having owned a Mainship. I will say that I called them on many occasions(before CH11) and they were at least able to point me in the right direction....ie the vendor that made the part. I do think Marlow has passed down the parts department to a third party contractor if I remember correctly. Times were tough then and many times the vendor was out of business. The Ownder's manual was a joke as well. The Owner's manual on the Carver is very useable and provides good information....especially wiring diagrams.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My boat came with complete wiring diagrams and the manufacturer's installation and service information for parts like the engine, pumps, charger and battery combiner, etc.

Most of this stuff is made by someone else, not the boat manufacturer so if, for example, you need to know something about the potable water pump, you can just look at the plate on the pump and then look up "Jabsco XYZ" or whatever. Also, when something like this fails, you don't need a "Jabsco XYZ" pump, just a pump that will fit and do the job.

Of course, better than a manual for the boat and each part would be the same thing in electronic form. It wouldn't weigh as much or take up as much room. Done right, there would be a way to add notes.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
My builder gave me to file boxes full of manuals, warranties, etc. I digitized the most important stuff, but there are many hard copy documents I will never need to look at. Like the Stidd chair manuals. On the other hand, there are lots of parts not covered by the manuals. Door lock mechanisms come to mind. Not easy to find a direct replacement.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Most boats have a file box with the manual for the stuff. However being male very seldom have I read instructions and manuals. So my wife reads them and tactfully gives me hints suggestions. I figure if it does not work and I can not fix it or bugger it up more, I can have my wife look at it, hire some body who can or most of the time replace it. :hide

So I have a business card file of people to call.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Sea Ray has done a very good job for me in providing wiring schematics, plumbing diagrams, parts manuals, etc.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
David...
I agree re: MS info - I've struggled as well
Have you seen this Marlow-Mainship website?
I have found some useful BOM & schematic diagrams there.
Some are PDF's other Dwh files that need a viewer - some free viewers can be had on the Inet.
The BOM file is a word doc and searchable - not much mfg info but from the description I have been successful finding the mfg w/ an online search using the exact description as listed.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Sea Ray has done a very good job for me in providing wiring schematics, plumbing diagrams, parts manuals, etc.
That is what I would expect from them!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #14
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Some of you may recall that I had some major issues that either started with or resulted in a runaway starter motor on one of my engines. The mechanic has been working on all of the related issues and is getting close to resolving them. Well, he was until he discovered the 24V alternator on that engine was sending 24V to ground. Well now THAT is not a good thing.

So he's continuing with the troubleshooting and we have a new alternator on the way.

I met with him today and in our conversation he said that he has called Sea Ray several times and they have been VERY helpful to him, sending him schematics, offering suggestions and answering all of his questions.

This project was up to a bit over $15K but now with the alternator being replaced I don't know what the total will be. Thank heaven for good insurance.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
A friends 1980 ish Bertram 60ish foot sportfisher has a very impressive set of manuals. Most of the components are obsolete or have been replaced/upgraded but the books are still helpfull.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote