Looking for sub-$50K boat in PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Ray

Vessel Name
GOML
Vessel Make
1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
I have arrived at the conclusion that there’s no room in our life for a boat priced between $50K and $200K.

“Why?” you ask. Or maybe you didn’t, but I’ll tell you anyway.

At under $50K (and 40-ish feet), we can afford to buy and maintain a boat while still living in our house. Boats priced in the $50-200K range aren’t something we care to live aboard full time due to size, newness, features, etc. (we’re pretty enamored with the KK48, for instance). And we’re not ready to move aboard a boat yet anyway.

So I’m on the hunt for a boat (trawler) that we can enjoy around the Puget Sound and along the B.C. coast, spending up to three weeks at a time aboard, but more commonly three- to four-day trips between April and October. An island queen would be our strong preference, but a vee-berth would be acceptable. We’d like to take friends, so a second berth space (convertible dinette?) is another important feature. Beyond that, I prefer a single engine with a bow thruster over twin engines. My wife would prefer a large cockpit area or other outdoor lounge space (flybridge) and no musty smells.

If we were in the Gulf, or the Great Lakes, there are plenty of boats for sale that fit our criteria, and a for budget of $35K we could have our pick of boats (though it’s hard to say in what condition). Here in the PNW, similar boats are scarce.

Any ideas or recommendations someone has that will help my search, speak up.

Probably a tall ask at under $50k. An older Nordic Tugs 32 is still going to be higher than your target. Maybe look at some gas powered express cruisers? A 1970-80s Taiwan Trawler might come in near your target but it would not likely be in very good condition. Maybe a sailboat?

You might be able to buy a gas boat for that amount. Or a trawler that needs a lot of work. Or a ex-commercial fish boat....many of these is the PNW and BC.

Not a bad boat, though not sure I’m ready to solo it up the coast. Talking to someone in B.C. about a 1980 Mainship 34 that looks like a good bet. Price is right.

I am biased but that mainship 34 listed here looks like a good value. If you can live with a V-berth or a quality pull out in the salon you can be comfortable. They have served as serviceable starter trawlers for many and well kept ones are easy to sell should you decide it isn't for you or you decide to upgrade.

We will be in the same market hopefully within a couple years, I'll be interested in what you come up with.

Anyone thinking of selling in a couple years keep us in mind. :)

Not a bad boat, though not sure I’m ready to solo it up the coast. Talking to someone in B.C. about a 1980 Mainship 34 that looks like a good bet. Price is right.

Saw that. We had an '87 Mainship 34, really good boat.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom