Looking for recommendations for a lightweight, all-purpose rigid dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blind Owl

Veteran Member
My wife and I are still searching for the right 50-to-60-foot boat but whatever we end up buying, chances are it will come with the typical RIB for yachts that size: 12-14 feet with a 30 or 40-horse outboard.

And chances are that the boat deck will have enough room for a second dinghy. If so, we'd like a lightweight rigid dinghy that sails, rows, and motors reasonably well. Of course we don't expect superb performance under sail, power, or oars, which is why I say "reasonably well".

We've been eyeing this: https://www.ghboats.com/our-boats/12-point-defiance/ from Gig Harbor Boat Works. At 155# in fibreglass and 130# in Kevlar, she's lightweight enough to drag up on a beach without worrying too much about falling tides. Plus she's cute.

We'll be attending the Seattle Boat Show where we expect to get a good close-up look at the PD 12, but I thought I'd ask this group for suggestions on other, similar all-purpose dinghies that might fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My wife and I are still searching for the right 50-to-60-foot boat but whatever we end up buying, chances are it will come with the typical RIB for yachts that size: 12-14 feet with a 30 or 40-horse outboard.

And chances are that the boat deck will have enough room for a second dinghy. If so, we'd like a lightweight rigid dinghy that sails, rows, and motors reasonably well. Of course we don't expect superb performance under sail, power, or oars, which is why I say "reasonably well".

We've been eyeing this: https://www.ghboats.com/our-boats/12-point-defiance/ from Gig Harbor Boat Works. At 155# in fibreglass and 130# in Kevlar, she's lightweight enough to drag up on a beach without worrying too much about falling tides. Plus she's cute.

We'll be attending the Seattle Boat Show where we expect to get a good close-up look at the PD 12, but I thought I'd ask this group for suggestions on other, similar all-purpose dinghies that might fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.

Gig Harbor Boat Works manufacturer fine, small, traditional looking small boats. They are built well.

I looked at them a few years ago for a tender.

As you guessed, they sail, row and motor reasonable well. They are a little tender under sail and not thrilling,

I ended up not compromising and bought a 12 foot center console ridgid tender for going fast and a 12 foot Hobie One sailboat. I carry the tender on the boat deck and the sailboat on the pilothouse roof.

I'm not a rower and my wife prefers kayaking.

Second Wave in Gig Harbor has a used Gig Harbor dinghy for sale. They are a marine consignment shop. The dinghy has been sitting unsold for about 6 months and the owner would be ready to take a lower offer by now.

Attachments

• 20190720_101406.jpg
    20190720_101406.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190726_120110_resized_5.jpg
    20190726_120110_resized_5.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 88
We used a Water Tender 10 for many years and was very happy with it. Doesn't sail, but motors and rows very nicely. Great capacity (480 Lbs) and stability due to the cathedral hull shape, planed with a 5hp and 1 (200lb) person. Vacuum molded polyethylene, super light at 105Lbs. New through many mass merchants for less than $500. WEST, Walmart, Dicks, etc.

https://mysportboats.com/Sun-Dolphin-Water-Tender-9-4-p51.html

:socool:

Not EZ to find , but the classic aluminum Grumman dink is perfect for your desirements.

Just over 8 ft and 75 lbs. Sails very well . One joy is 2 rowers fore & aft make even heavy slop a no hassle situation.

Expect to pay about a boat buck for the sailing version.

Last edited:
Blind Owl: We had the 10’ GH Navigator model for 2 years. It was fun to sail with one person and rowed great. It didn’t motor very well with a 5hp-2stroke though. It might have been too heavy so maybe an electric would be the ticket? I did have to modify the plug that went into the center board slot. Water would shoot up through the slot at anything over 7 or 8 knots when we would tow it.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

If we didn't have our hearts set on being able to sail once in a while, the Water Tender might do. Looks darn near indestructible. As for the Grumman dink, no kidding they're scarce! A quick Google turned up only one, and the asking price was 3 boat bucks.

If we want to go far and/or fast, or if we need pickup-truck-type carrying capacity, we'll use the (still hypothetical) RIB. The second dinghy would mostly be for quiet, relaxed recreation: short hops, a little mild exercise, and general poking around.

If time allows, maybe we'll mosey over to Gig Harbor after the boat show, check out that 2nd hand PD 12.

Blind Owl: We had the 10’ GH Navigator model for 2 years. It was fun to sail with one person and rowed great. It didn’t motor very well with a 5hp-2stroke though. It might have been too heavy so maybe an electric would be the ticket? I did have to modify the plug that went into the center board slot. Water would shoot up through the slot at anything over 7 or 8 knots when we would tow it.

Yes, an electric motor would probably suit our intended use. Good to know about the c.b. slot, though I doubt we'll be towing very often. Should be easy enough to whip up a better plug if we need one.

'The Walker Bay 10 is designed to do all that. I've sailed on one briefly. Personally, I'd rather have a boat that one thing really well rather than being mediocre at 3 things. Go cruising for awhile and then figure out what you will really use.

If time allows, maybe we'll mosey over to Gig Harbor after the boat show, check out that 2nd hand PD 12.

I would call Second Wave first to make sure it's a 12. And that they still have it.

No worries, we'd definitely check first. Second Wave looks like an interesting place to poke around in.

Marine consignment stores are becoming extinct. Second Wave, Lighthouse in Poulsbo and Pacific Marine Exchange are the only ones I that still exist.

They are all worth visiting.

There was a huge one in Sidney BC for a long time - Boaters Exchange. It dissapeared a few years ago.

I have a Portland Pudgy as a second tender (up on the boat deck).

About 160 pounds with all equipment. It sails, rows and motors reasonably well, unsinkable, functions as life boat. I use a Torqeedo motor on it...

I have a Portland Pudgy as a second tender (up on the boat deck).

About 160 pounds with all equipment. It sails, rows and motors reasonably well, unsinkable, functions as life boat. I use a Torqeedo motor on it...

Ha! That's pretty cute, and possibly a lifesaver as well. Maybe we could fit one on the swim platform, if the boat we buy has one. Or it might even fit inside the (still hypothetical) RIB or the even more hypothetical PD 12...

And we've been eyeing Torqeedo motors ever since we saw one in a YouTube video. They seem ideal for our purposes.

"Grumman dink, no kidding they're scarce! A quick Google turned up only one, and the asking price was 3 boat bucks."

Think of it as an investment , not a disposable like a condom boat.

Livingston my suggestion. Catamaran and STABLE. 8', 10, 12' and larger. Agree with comment three things compromises all. Walker dinghy practically dangerous if you try and stand up in it. Check Craigslist for your area. I have had every size including the 14' with deck in San Francisco Bay with water coming over the boat. Pictured is an 8' with 5 HP two stroke.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 38
Livingston my suggestion. Catamaran and STABLE. 8', 10, 12' and larger. Agree with comment three things compromises all. Walker dinghy practically dangerous if you try and stand up in it. Check Craigslist for your area. I have had every size including the 14' with deck in San Francisco Bay with water coming over the boat. Pictured is an 8' with 5 HP two stroke.

I've owned a variety of Livingston tenders over the years from 8' to 12'.

They are great tenders. Light, beamy, stable, huge capacity and easy to mount on a swim step.

There are sailing versions out there in the used market.

They go pretty fast with a small outboard.

It rows ok. Hard to row them straight because of the beam and two keels.

I'm not sure if Livingston is still making boats but there are a lot of used ones out there.

Last edited:
Forget sailing without modifications, lee board, rudder, etc. They row fine but not sleek or speedy, can accommodate lots of power options. Four stroke heavier. They were being made recently I think in North Carolina but generally some around on Craigslist. The boats are SAFE because of the stability.

Hmm, I probably should have made the thread title "Looking for recommendations for a lightweight, all-purpose rigid second dinghy." Guess it's too late to change it now. :facepalm:

As I said in my OP, we expect to have a mid-sized, mid-powered RIB (12-14', 30-40 hp) as our primary dinghy, but the idea of having a quiet, low-key, more leisurely alternative has considerable appeal for us. I enjoy rowing and I love sailing, but haven't had the chance to do as much of either as i could wish. I also like the idea of being able to beach a dinghy without having to worry about getting back in time to catch a falling tide.

No doubt some of the catamaran types make excellent tenders: beamy, burdensome, light, and stable as a church. But if they don't row halfway decently or sail worth a darn (if at all), they wouldn't suit our intended use, i.e. to explore an anchorage or an area in relative peace and quiet while getting in a little mild exercise and having some fun. Less work to get off & on the boat, or on & off a beach. When we're in a hurry or have a long way to go, or when we need to haul a lot of cargo or passengers, we'll take the RIB. I could see us using the 2nd dinghy more often, and more readily, than the primary. But we would still want the RIB.

Last edited:
For use at a dink dock be sure to have a way to lock the oars.

Folks are reluctant to "borrow" a B. Whaler to visit friends , but may easily grab your rowing boat .

Use a key lock the combination locks are rough in the dark.

Edson Oar Locking Device - Bronze - Jamestown Distributors

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com › ... › Oars, Oarlocks and Paddles

Theft prevention will definitely be a high priority. That Edson lock is a sturdy-looking piece of hardware...and in bronze, no less (I figure anyone seen hanging around a dinghy dock toting a hacksaw is bound to raise suspicion).:socool:

Theft prevention will definitely be a high priority. That Edson lock is a sturdy-looking piece of hardware...and in bronze, no less (I figure anyone seen hanging around a dinghy dock toting a hacksaw is bound to raise suspicion).:socool:

Not being in Florida waters, theft protection to that degree is unusual and unnecessary in the quiet places you will boat, here in BC.

Your signature line :"It's never too late to have a happy childhood." says it all so I second your choice of a small sailing dinghy like the Gig Harbour. Also consider a more limiting, but also more fun sailing dinghy like the Laser. Lots of old ones around for little $.
On a 50 to 60' mother ship, a 12 to 14 RIB needs a 75hp, then will be very useful and also lots of fun.

'The Walker Bay 10 is designed to do all that. I've sailed on one briefly. Personally, I'd rather have a boat that one thing really well rather than being mediocre at 3 things. Go cruising for awhile and then figure out what you will really use.

Agreed.

For light weight the Walker Bay is probably hard to beat.

I had a Walker Bay 8 which I used as a secondary dinghy with good results. It rowed very well, sailed OK but would not plane so the 4 hp I had was never used near WOT.

Two people could easily man-handle it on to the swim platform where we would often carry it, on its side.

The inflatable ring gave it good stability.

I have used an 11 ft Whaler Sport with a 20 hp engine mounted on a transom Ross Kelly davit for years on our 42 Grand Banks. I am selling this as we are now towing a 17 Whaler. The 11 foot is so convenient jsut push the down button, step onto the swim step get in, unclip two clips and go. Retreival is just eh opposite. I did add a new 20 hp 4 stroke Merc. I want $5,000 for the package. I will send pictures if you are interested. The boat is Bend OR on a trailer and the davit is in Anacorted WA

Good day,
We purchased a Portland Pudgie and absolutely love it!
Durable, easy to clean and safe. Had 2 inflatables before.
Both deteriorated and had to be thrown out.
Take It E-Sea
Monk

Dinghy

Thanks in advance.

Check out Walker Bay dinghies. They are thick plastic, practically bullet proof and very reasonably priced. They make an 8 and a 10 and they even sell an inflatable collar if you want a hard bottom/inflatable dingy. They also have sailing kits if you want to sail. My 8ft Walker Bay weighs 80 lbs. they are also “lapstrake”, so they look traditional. West Marine sells them.

Thanks in advance.
I have exactly that boat and have owned it for 20 plus years. It’s my favorite row boat. With lightweight oars pulls like a dream. I also put a 2.5 hp Suzuki which drives it 5 knots, any more and it just squats. Sails like a pig, so I ditched the mast and sails when I moved. Use it for crabbing. Fun for 2 people or 1 rowing.

I see you are in Abbotsford. I would set up a search on Kijiji for a Minto dinghy and wait. Mine is an original Ranger from 1984.

Sails great, rows great, with a centerboard plug, tows great. Tool around forever with an air-cooled Honda 2hp.

But best of all, it looks great.

I paid $750 for mine (10 years ago). Was a nice refinishing project.

A new set of Barkley Sound oars and you're good to go.

Sailrite makes a kit if you need a new sail.

This post reminds me I need to add some reef points this winter...

IMG_20190609_202014.jpegminto%20(1)~2.jpeg

Last edited:
QUOTEAs I said in my OP, we expect to have a mid-sized, mid-powered RIB (12-14', 30-40 hp) as our primary dinghy, but the idea of having a quiet, low-key, more leisurely alternative has considerable appeal for us. I enjoy rowing and I love sailingQUOTE

Damn. That’s nice dink!

Hardshell dinghys are getting so hard to find that don’t cost an arm and a leg. (I don’t even want to know how much that on costs, lol. Way out of my league.

That ones great looking and light and usable. Betcha it rows like a dream.

I travel a lot and anchor out to save cash, so I really tried to find a good all round dinghy in the 12 foot range. There are nice boats out there but outside my price range.

I finally got a beach wrecked hull and redid it. (Termites ate every ounce of wood off it it. Was a hull made in rhode island made by seaway boats In the 60s-70s. Buy making my own I could work out the rowing geometry etc.... it’s about 155# and rows like silk and puts along great with an old 3hp Evinrude.

I included some pics.

Attachments

• 32739D63-4664-4936-B059-61A13BDF86BB.jpg
    32739D63-4664-4936-B059-61A13BDF86BB.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 922B38C6-FD34-4FE1-8462-720B17EF1094.jpg
    922B38C6-FD34-4FE1-8462-720B17EF1094.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 19C05581-E56F-4A81-9883-0E48D8C49BDE.jpg
    19C05581-E56F-4A81-9883-0E48D8C49BDE.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 20
  • D9432D87-4C6C-4FBF-B088-8EA49DFC61BB.jpg
    D9432D87-4C6C-4FBF-B088-8EA49DFC61BB.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I would certainly second Northern Spy's recommendation of Barkley Sound's oars out of Coombs. Very well made (that is all they make) and works of art to boot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom