Old 12-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #101
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Yes. After 20 years in Alaska, including a yacht delivery from Seattle, I know those places, but dont underestimate the scale. I am currently planning a trip similar to what you propose; I'm thinking five months, and I have the advantage of familiarity. Prince William Sound alone is worth a month.

Take manageable bites and savor them.

Bill
MV Seeadler
Tacoma
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #102
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would definitely hope to go further north. I think so many settle for just SE Alaska. There's so much more beauty to see within relatively easy reach. At the minimum, I'd want to get to Glacier Bay. Ideally to Valdez, Seward, Kodiak.
Disagree ....
Very few pleasure boats will venture north from Cross Sound into the Gulf of Alaska. IMO boating north of Cross Sound is for local people only.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #103
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Disagree ....
Very few pleasure boats will venture north from Cross Sound into the Gulf of Alaska. IMO boating north of Cross Sound is for local people only.
Agreed, generally. I have done that passage once in a very sturdy 41' boat, but we were willing to hang out behind Hinchinbrook island (Elfin Cove if you're westbound) for as long as it took to get optimal weather. Traveling in company also highly recommended.

Bill
Seeadler
Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #104

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
My 2Cents. Plan to spend at least a week in the San Jaun's. They will knock you socks off, and you could easily spend the whole month there. If the boat is running good and you are feeling confident in it, head down to Port Townsend, Seattle, and Through the locks into Lake Union and Washington. You could easily do that in a week. If the boat is running well two weeks would be plenty to have a very nice trip to desolation sound. forget the Gulf islands in Canada and plan on blowing through them. They are fine, but not as nice as San Jaun's, or Desolation. Victoria, and Vancouver are also fun. Vancouver is best if you have a nice weather window to get back south from. It is no problem when it is calm, but could beat you to death if it is blowing from the south. Have fun, you are going to love it.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 AM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Disagree ....
Well, I'm very glad we went further. Glacier Bay was a must to us. I don't know if you're considering it within your Cross Sound wall or not as it's technically north of it. You can still go from Juneau up to Haines and Skagway inside and they're pleasant to see. I would agree with foregoing Valdez, Seward and Kodiak in his situation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:01 AM   #106
Guru

I dont think he's referring to Glacier Bay, but the Gulf beyond Cape Spencer.

I agree it requires great care , but people do make that passage all the time and there are dozens of people who make their living on those waters year-round in boats no bigger than yours.
Bill