Looking for PNW Cruising Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ka,
Your milage I think is as the crow flies. Sea To Ket is 800 and change but as a straight line. By the time you go like a snake up the coast and out of the way to get to anchorages and points of interest Sea to Ket could be 1200 to 1500 mi. And running about in SE could easily run up 1500.

I admit it's possible my memory is bad and I'm basing this all on the 800 or so miles to Ketchikan. Took us 23 days on our 6 knot Willard LaConner to Ketchikan. And we were not sight seeing. Whatever the number it's a long way even if only one way.

More than a few years ago, we left GH at noon in a 33ft Grady. Spent the first night in Campbell River... The second night North of Shearwater, The third night in Dundas Island, the 4th night in Wrangell... We stopped to fish along the way and had to wait for the wind to die down in Dixon else we would have been in Ketchikan in 2 and a half days... We stop and enjoy the areas along the way, now it's 2 and half weeks to get up there...

We will be traveling most of April to see grand kids on their spring brakes. Hopefully we can meet you at La Conner or on the water at one end of your trip to the NW.

Fred P..................

Wifey B: I don't know how people get bored exploring on the water. It's not the area that's boring, it's the person. I've not yet explored any area I found to be boring. Now, some I move on from quicker than others but almost all I look forward to returning to one day. We love Annapolis, by the way, one of our faves. But I do so look forward to returning to the PNW. The islands are all so cool, but then we had Alaska to see, and then the coast and just not enough time in a year or life. If you're getting bored, I'd suggest looking a little harder.

I totally agree that getting bored is more about the person than the place, almost any place! Bruce is fond of telling folks that as long as I'm on the water, I'm happy. There's a lot of truth to that.

One of the challenges of cruising is to do "the right amount of stuff" for whoever you are, wherever you are. Some folks like a fast paced hit-and-run approach, while others are far more leisurely, and tend to find a happy place just to hang. I always feel the tension between enjoying where I am while simultaneously not wanting to miss something else I'd love, or like, or find memorable, or just want to visit for the sake of the visit...whatever. I'm certain we could enjoy poking around the San Juans for weeks or months or more, but I always worry about the opportunity cost of hanging in a small area, and thus not experiencing a larger or different area. Choices, choices! Part of the great fun of cruising.

We love the varied input from a diverse group of folks, and then in the end, we have to make choices.

We will be traveling most of April to see grand kids on their spring brakes. Hopefully we can meet you at La Conner or on the water at one end of your trip to the NW.

Fred P..................

Yes! Thank you!

The advice to shake-down locally is excellent, but your advisors are actually geographically challenged. Get a small-scale (or is it large-scale, I can never keep that straight!); large-area anyway, chart and note that much of the best part of Canada is nearer than Olympia or even Seattle.

While you're learning the boat, equipping, provisioning, breaking/repairing, I'd base in Anacortes, near your starting point at LaConner, which has the best services and facilities, good moorage rates (there is no cheap moorage), and radiate from there:

1. State marine parks at Sucia, Stuart, Jones Islands, a short days drive each way

2. Victoria BC, a longer day each way.

3. Canadian parks in the Gulf Islands; include the town of Ganges, maybe ending in Nanaimo (dont miss Newcastle Island park and the floating pub).

4. Vancouver. I know its a big city, but it is the most beautiful and engaging city in the Americas, and you can moor right in the heart of it.

Then you'll be ready to strike out, either more Canada or south. In Puget Sound, you'll actually find few of those isolated anchorages, but there are nice waterfront towns like Poulsbo, Gig Harbor, Winslow.

It is quite possible your insurance will have a geographic restriction; "inland waters south of 50N" is a common limit, especally for a new boat. 50N is Cape Scott, the north end of Vancouver Island. That will still leave you with several months of wonderful cruising.

Bill Butler
MV Seeadler
"

Not sure of the insurance requirement, but 50°N only gets you to Campbell River on the island and not even in to Desolation Sound.

Other than that I agree with the post. Canadian Gulf Islands have a different vibe then the San Juans.

"
It is quite possible your insurance will have a geographic restriction; "inland waters south of 50N" is a common limit, especally for a new boat. 50N is Cape Scott, the north end of Vancouver Island. That will still leave you with several months of wonderful cruising."

I think you mean 51N.

"
It is quite possible your insurance will have a geographic restriction; "inland waters south of 50N" is a common limit, especally for a new boat. 50N is Cape Scott, the north end of Vancouver Island. That will still leave you with several months of wonderful cruising."

I think you mean 51N.

I would definitely hope to go further north. I think so many settle for just SE Alaska. There's so much more beauty to see within relatively easy reach. At the minimum, I'd want to get to Glacier Bay. Ideally to Valdez, Seward, Kodiak.

"

I think you mean 51N.

Yes. I was working from memory; just checked and Port Hardy is 50d 43m North.

Fwiw, my insurance limits me to to inside the entrance to the Juan de Fuca strait and North to the tip of Vancouver Island. I would need to change my insurance to head to Alaska or to the West side of Vancouver Island.

Yes. After 20 years in Alaska, including a yacht delivery from Seattle, I know those places, but dont underestimate the scale. I am currently planning a trip similar to what you propose; I'm thinking five months, and I have the advantage of familiarity. Prince William Sound alone is worth a month.

Take manageable bites and savor them.

Bill
MV Seeadler
Tacoma

I would definitely hope to go further north. I think so many settle for just SE Alaska. There's so much more beauty to see within relatively easy reach. At the minimum, I'd want to get to Glacier Bay. Ideally to Valdez, Seward, Kodiak.

Disagree ....
Very few pleasure boats will venture north from Cross Sound into the Gulf of Alaska. IMO boating north of Cross Sound is for local people only.

Disagree ....
Very few pleasure boats will venture north from Cross Sound into the Gulf of Alaska. IMO boating north of Cross Sound is for local people only.

Agreed, generally. I have done that passage once in a very sturdy 41' boat, but we were willing to hang out behind Hinchinbrook island (Elfin Cove if you're westbound) for as long as it took to get optimal weather. Traveling in company also highly recommended.

Bill
Seeadler

My 2Cents. Plan to spend at least a week in the San Jaun's. They will knock you socks off, and you could easily spend the whole month there. If the boat is running good and you are feeling confident in it, head down to Port Townsend, Seattle, and Through the locks into Lake Union and Washington. You could easily do that in a week. If the boat is running well two weeks would be plenty to have a very nice trip to desolation sound. forget the Gulf islands in Canada and plan on blowing through them. They are fine, but not as nice as San Jaun's, or Desolation. Victoria, and Vancouver are also fun. Vancouver is best if you have a nice weather window to get back south from. It is no problem when it is calm, but could beat you to death if it is blowing from the south. Have fun, you are going to love it.

Disagree ....

Well, I'm very glad we went further. Glacier Bay was a must to us. I don't know if you're considering it within your Cross Sound wall or not as it's technically north of it. You can still go from Juneau up to Haines and Skagway inside and they're pleasant to see. I would agree with foregoing Valdez, Seward and Kodiak in his situation.

I dont think he's referring to Glacier Bay, but the Gulf beyond Cape Spencer.

I agree it requires great care , but people do make that passage all the time and there are dozens of people who make their living on those waters year-round in boats no bigger than yours.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom