Looking for a piece of wood trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon J

Guru
Vessel Name
Didi Mau
Vessel Make
Currently looking for next boat
I would like to swap out chart plotter's as well as auto pilot control head. The helm station below has what appears to be some sort of walnut or maple trim. Can someone tell me where I might find someone who can provide a piece Like the one in the photo?

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 516
I would like to swap out chart plotter's as well as auto pilot control head. The helm station below has what appears to be some sort of walnut or maple trim. Can someone tell me where I might find someone who can provide a piece Like the one in the photo?

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Is it veneer or mica?

Either way a good cabinet shop should be able to get it for you.

Personally I would consider changing it to flat black.

Of course these guys, http://www.tecnografic.com, can make it look anyway you want.

Last edited:
The wood shop at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge should be able to duplicate the trim for you.

Thanks Tomas, I will give them a call. It is apparently wood veneer mounted on a thin sheet of plywood.

Gordon

What is overall dimensions of the sheet? Is it under 24"x12"? I concur w Bills suggestion to put everything on UHMW or HDPE plastic sheet stock. Easy to cut, route, inlet and mount stuff to. Comes in Black, amber, bronze, blue, white, clear. It has no real strength to it, but is easy to work with because its plastic.
https://www.grainger.com/product/GR...archRedirect=plastic+sheet&sst=All&s_pp=false
Water and spilled drinks run off it, and it doesn't swell or shrink with humidity.

Woodworking supply stores like Rockler carry all types of veneers in rolls that can be applied by various methods. Some come pretreated with an adhesive - just peel and apply. Others are iron on adhesive that melts under the heat of a hot iron. Others come bare and you apply your own adhesive.

It might be easier to pick one you like and replace/recover it all instead of trying to match it up perfectly with what's on there.

I would consider a dark grey or Matt black. It will accent our helm nicely.
They also make some nice burl work looking laminate, that almost looks real. Check out the samples.

Go on eBay and search 'burl veneer'. You'll get lots of hits.

Thicker veneer gives you more chance to get things flat enough and sand-able. Typical thickness these days is 1/42": pretty awful for an amateur! 1/32" is the old standard. 1/16" is rare and rather like working with lumber. Burl is a little tougher to work with as an amateur, but certainly doable. Contact cement is pretty easy; thermoplastic glues are traditional but requiring skill and tools (hot glue, hide glue, etc.). Hard setting, thermosetting, glues require good clamping; it's hard to get ripply stuff down on the substrate and get it flat enough to sand w/o fear of sanding through. I've been successful with Olive, Oak, and Walnut burl.

If you're lucky, perhaps you can buy burl solids rather than veneers. I was able to 'resaw' thick Walnut crotch into 1/2" thick planks which were stable enough for a cabinet door panel and drawer front.

If you like the look, stick with real wood veneers. I would eschew using PLam in fake wood patterns, it's true that the good ones are good from a distance.

Last edited:

You use the word "trim" and I would take that to be the piece of wood that surrounds the helm, not the flat panel the instruments are mounted through.

Most of the suggestions given here seem to be for the flat panel, not the trim.

Regardless, if you have to ask, you may be better off having a skilled craftsman do this for you. This type of work, and especially veneer work, takes some skill and practice and a few special tools.

WesK,

No, the folks here have got it right. As I said, I am upgrading electronics and will needf a new panel to replace the burled walnut, or what ever it is.

Probably for me the wood grain is not as important as color. I would hate to stick some black piece of plastic into all the great wood work.

Gordon

WesK,

Probably for me the wood grain is not as important as color. I would hate to stick some black piece of plastic into all the great wood work.

Gordon

Any decent wood shop should be able to stain a new panel to closely match color once you / they find a veneered wood grain you like.

Look up 'Poplar Burl'. Or 'Mappa Burl'
They are both variants of European poplar.
That's about as close as I can see to what you have.

The walnut I see looks too dark all around to blend to what you have. (Even allowing for sunlight aging).

Can you see part of that wood that has been covered, or otherwise kept out of the direct sunlight to see what it really looks like unbleached by sunlight?

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom