Looking for a new boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9986mkoh

Hi,

My name is Mike and I've been boating/fishing Lake Erie since I was little, and had 4 different boats since I was 16.

1. 1974 Sea Ray 190
2. 1993 Bayliner 2655
3. 1995 Bayliner 2859
4. 1985 Silverton 34C (Current)

I use the boat for perch and walleye fishing, as well as some occasional overnight trips. I'd like to get into a trawler or sailboat so I can do some more of this with a little less money ($4 a gallon at .9 mpg is pretty steep). The problem is I don't know much about either type of boat, specifically.

I value seakeeping ability (who doesn't though) of a boat very much given the kind of conditions we get on Lake Erie in a hurry. My current boat lets me down some in this respect being pretty tender and requiring much more attention than any of my other boats in a following sea, even as small as 2 feet. I know every boat has its quirks, but this one has tendencies to be a little more picky than anything else I've had. I can go slow with it since I pretty much have to, but I'd rather have something more stable and fuel efficient if I'm doing 10 miles an hour. The other boats I had were much easier to handle in my opinion, I'd say mostly because of the weight being biased to the rear with sterndrives.

That being said, I don't need to get places too fast either which is why I'm looking at other boat styles. The real problem is that I don't know how to get into sailing a 32 or so foot boat without any help from somebody with experience, so a trawler might be easier for me. I generally sleep 4 people on the boat, and do fishing in anything around 4 foot waves. Yes, they are pretty big being as short period and steep as they are, but I've managed.

I have $40-50k to spend, and am looking for a little guidance from some people with experience in this area so I can maybe have a better chance of finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!

boat type

Boat type is a personnel choice. A sail boat has lots of space and it sits nicely in the water. When things get snotty, a heavy keel and smooth bottom is very nice. Although 5 - 6knots is all you'll do. I learned to sail by joining a local sailing club. I asked for volunteers to help me bring my boat around to my slip. It's fairly easy.

A tug or a trawler is nice. They are fuel efficient and safe. You can usually get 3 - 5 GPH at a speed of 8 knots (maybe 10 knots) $0 - 60 K you won't get a very new trawler. You can get a pretty nice sail boat for that money.

Suggest you find someone with a sailboat and go out on a day sail with them. (can't be shy) See how it feels.

Good luck. (Fishing on a sail boat is not ideal) But, 5 knots is a good trolling speed!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom