Looking for my Grandpa's Trawler...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalGuyH

I know this is a long shot and please move this to the correct section if I am posting this in the wrong place.

Long story short... my Grandpa built a trawler back in the mid-seventies with Hill Marine (Kenny Hill) in their Seal Beach yard. He lived in the Huntington Harbor, CA and kept it at his back dock for many many years with many memories of us grandkids all growing up around it. When his health turned south, we were forced to sell it (1990's?). I am just looking to see if it is still out there, would love to get some current pictures and show my kids what Great-Grandpa built.

Info...
1975 (I think) Hill Marine Trawler
43' length (+/-)
USCG ID# 566601
Original Name "Lady Helen", port: Huntington Harbor, CA
Last known name "ELENA MARIE", port: Marina del Rey, CA (2006?)

The only picture I have of it is a painting they had hung in their house. It had bunks in the front, master suite in the back, no galley that I can remember, wooden hull, and was powered by a single engine. One small feature that stands out in my mind is the round porthole on the port side of the bow (possible matching one on the stern, I cant remember).

Thanks for your time!
Heath

Attachments

• Lady Helen (Elena Marie).jpg
    Lady Helen (Elena Marie).jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
It appears to be still out there and in active service. I searched for it by document number here...and got the attached.

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx

To get the information about the current owners, I think you have two options. The first is to request an abstract of title from the National Vessel Documentation Center:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...s-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/

The second is to make a FOIA request for the current document to the USCG and see if it is considered a public record or if there is a carve out making the personally identifying information private. I don't know.

https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/Our-Organ...of-Information-Management-CG-61/FOIA-Library/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-145116_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-145116_Chrome.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 95
This is basically as far as I have gotten in the past.

I have just submitted a request to see if I can gain any owners info from them. I'm not sure if that is public information or not... We will see if I hear anything back.

Attached is another search result I ended up with, including a few previous owners names. I haven't been able to get any further contact though.

Might just have to drive to Marina Del Rey someday and walk the docks trying to spot her. At least it would be a fun outing.

Attachments

• Elena Marie 566601.jpg
    Elena Marie 566601.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 44
The previous and current owners names will be on the abstract of title. They could be entities like corporations, trusts, etc. But, they'll be there.

I'm surprised that a woody from 1975 is still around. There are exceptions to the rule, but there just aren't that many anymore. If you do eventually find her, be prepared for what you might actually find.

Some things are better left to the fondness of memory.

Also 43 ft with a 6.2 draft and a 13.7 beam. Long kind of narrow and almost ridiculously deep. It reads like a sailboat hull.

I'm surprised that a woody from 1975 is still around. There are exceptions to the rule, but there just aren't that many anymore. If you do eventually find her, be prepared for what you might actually find.

Some things are better left to the fondness of memory.

Also 43 ft with a 6.2 draft and a 13.7 beam. Long kind of narrow and almost ridiculously deep. It reads like a sailboat hull.

Depth on USCG documentation isn't draft, it's hull depth from the lowest point of the hull (often excluding the keel) to the top of the hull sides where they meet the deck, usually measured at midship.

Well I have promising news. I contacted the National Vessel Documents Center and they were able to release the last Bill of Sale to me!

It is from 2010 but doesn't state condition or price. I do have a good address to contact, so that is my next step. With some luck I will get a response.

I'll keep you posted!

Good luck. Nice little hunt you have going.

Back
Top Bottom