Old 09-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
The Bay-class ice breaking tugs use a DC diesel electric system powered by a FairBANKS Morse. They were commissioned in the 70s and 80s.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Although we rarely did, the propeller thrust (speed and direction) on these diesel-electric ships could be controlled from the bridge. I imagine this vessel has similar capabilities. With that setup, you can have one person on watch in each of the two propulsion spaces to monitor equipment but not require a third body to spend endless hours watching to control the propeller in case somebody on the bridge wants to change propeller RPM or thrust direction. That leaves one or two on the bridge, preferably two for a grand total of four people running the ship. Now, the critical issue is how long do you want to run a day? If you are a cruiser, maybe eight hours; so, a two-section watch. That's eight people.

When I was the chief mate on a Navy diesel-powered 223-foot ocean surveillance vessel, the engineering spaces were unmanned because of the investment in extensive alarm systems terminated in the chief engineer's stateroom. We had two of us on watch on the bridge - TOTAL. Along with the secret squirrel surveillance equipment operators, we had about 38 on board. Captain and chief engineer and chief steward and his helpers stood no watches.

Our US Navy underway watch quarter and station bill for the WWII era towing and salvage ship would have had one switchboard watch (for answering the engine order telegraph if propeller not controlled on the bridge), one each roving watch in each of the two propulsion spaces, a sounding and security roving throughout the ship, one lookout on top of the pilothouse, one lifebuoy/aft lookout, one helmsman/EOT operator, one quartermaster, and one OOD. That's nine people per watch section, and we had a 69-man crew. Cooks and helpers and laundrymen and medical corpsman and oil king and senior chief petty officers in deck and engineering and XO (also navigator) and I stood no watch. Chief engineer stood officer of the deck watch.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

https://www.oceanguardian-og.org/acushnet

Old news I guess..... guess they can't afford it any more. She was still active and busy when I was in Kodiak 1990-1992.

My optometrist, who was a Coast Guard deck officer before joining the Naval Medical Corps, served on one of the same class, though not the Acushnet, tells me they were originally Navy salvage tugs before being "surplused" to the Coast Guard.

I think there's another one in Portland, just west of the I-5 drawbridge.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #24
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
My optometrist, who was a Coast Guard deck officer before joining the Naval Medical Corps, served on one of the same class, though not the Acushnet, tells me they were originally Navy salvage tugs before being "surplused" to the Coast Guard.

I think there's another one in Portland, just west of the I-5 drawbridge.
Tough little ships built to take it. Thus their very long lives.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Looks like fun for a dedicated organization. I would love to be a crewmember.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
For a time, I was on a US Destroyer, DD881,built in 43 or 44. They were chipping the bilge and poked a hole through it. No water leakage, they were in dry dock. Just weld a patch on the outside of the hull, presto! No more hole.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #27

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
You people aren't thinking this through. The apocalypse is upon us! What a great platform to wait this out on (remember, zombies can't swim).
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
For a time, I was on a US Destroyer, DD881,built in 43 or 44. They were chipping the bilge and poked a hole through it. No water leakage, they were in dry dock. Just weld a patch on the outside of the hull, presto! No more hole.
Ha! Reminds me of a time I was at home one fine Sunday afternoon when I got a call from the tug's command duty officer telling my that a 1/2-inch hole had appeared in the bilge of the propulsion motor room when the steel rod used by the sounding and security patrol to check the bilge water level every hour for 30 or 40 years had finally worn through the striker plate and the hull. He said we had a nice little 4-5 foot fountain in there. A diver was called, and a box patch was welded in place allowing us to just go on about our business. The steel rod was replaced with a plastic one!

In the middle of a transpacific transit, a destroyer I was on had a several foot long crack develop in a fire room, and we were taking on water with every roll. The advice from ashore was to drill a small hole at either end of the crack to stop the crack from growing until we got to a shipyard for repair. We did not sink; so, I guess it did work.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #29
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Tough little ships built to take it. Thus their very long lives.

I have to say, there is a certain robust utilitarian aesthetic about the vessel. Sign me up for the "fantasy crew." QM3, I think.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
In the middle of a transpacific transit, a destroyer I was on had a several foot long crack develop in a fire room, and we were taking on water with every roll. The advice from ashore was to drill a small hole at either end of the crack to stop the crack from growing until we got to a shipyard for repair. We did not sink; so, I guess it did work.
Yup, those holes job, stress relieving points.
These thing happened before the days of battery operated drills. I guess there was an air driven drill available.
The main seawater induction, in the fwd engine room, to the condenser was cracked so they wrapped very tight with cord. Guess it worked. We didn't sink. Pretty too.
A shaft bearing was over heating so they put a rag on it a slow drip of sea water on the rag.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Shear Bliss
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44
I would be in my happy place just at the dock on this boat wondering about the stories she could tell and wandering the passageways looking/touching; "where does this go? what does this do?"
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #32

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Why not just anchor it in front of some expensive house in Miami, and live aboard. I bet it would take a while to fill the holding tank...
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Fast View Post
Why not just anchor it in front of some expensive house in Miami, and live aboard. I bet it would take a while to fill the holding tank...
The home owners' would complain, "You are blocking my view." The 2 story condo here started complaining a while back. Went no where.
They complained about exhaust smell, they were told, what did you expect at a marina with boats? Then they complained about workers.....
Just cant please anyone.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #34
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I'm probably not in good enough shape to be much help as a crew member but I would LOVE to go on as a passenger.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #35
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I just motored by the vessel today on my way to Anacortes. She is in rough shape. Expect to pay 5x the sell price just to deal with the cosmetics.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #36
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
These projects are soooo unrealistic.. Some guys get together to "save" these old ships. ALWAYS underfunded, never get off the ground etc. Pilotage, Manning docs, maintenance and repair knock most of these projects out of the water...
Old 09-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
These projects are soooo unrealistic.. Some guys get together to "save" these old ships. ALWAYS underfunded, never get off the ground etc. Pilotage, Manning docs, maintenance and repair knock most of these projects out of the water...
Yup - Boats [ships] such as these were nearly unlimited Tax-$$$ maintained throughout their life with service persons serving superiors' orders while aboard. In other words, there was no expense nor any work effort not covered every day of the govt owned boat's life.

Billionaire could handle that type of enormous expense... but... why would they? Guess their bean counter could use it as a BIG write off
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
It has 4 engines???? I thought these huge displacement hulls were usually powered by a massive single?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:07 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Check out the success story of LST 325 at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-325
Old 09-04-2021, 10:30 PM   #40
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
It has 4 engines???? I thought these huge displacement hulls were usually powered by a massive single?
This type of powerboat is essentially Diesel-Electric.
Multiple generators that power multiple electric drive motors.
A very flexible system but rather complex.