Looking for a Input on a new boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
loungeitude I apologize for my joke, it wasn't particularly funny or witty. I found the way you put your initial post as amusing and responded in kind.

The reality is, none of us need a boat at all, it's a luxury no matter the size or type from a 25' homebuilt stitch and glue cabin cruiser to a 100ft luxury yacht, it's all un-necessary. It's great that many of us have the time, ability and means to fulfill our dreams and get out on the water in a huge variety of ways.

I had found TF to be a pretty welcoming place up till now, with these kinds of responses it feels a lot more like a stuffy old boys club where it's necessary to fit a certain 'mold' or else be made uncomfortable by a select few that feel the need to point out in no uncertain terms the perceived foibles and shortcomings of anyone new.

usually the mental midgets respond with some garbage like above because they can't offer anything of use to the discussion

Jealous??

Maybe the fact that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit should resonate here.

Hopefully this thread can get back to the original point... discussing some amazing boats. If anyone feels the need to insult me further, please do so in a different thread or a PM and let Loungeitude's thread focus on the discussion at hand.

It's easy to ridicule both sides of this one.

How large of a vessel would you need for two people and four dogs? A cruise ship?

Back to the previously scheduled programming.

But wait!! I heard an ad the other day. Do your dogs itch, scratch, stink or shed like crazy? ...

Last edited:
Fleming is an excellent boat but you mentioned reservations on the price. I find Outer Reef to be a real quality boat and a good boat for rough seas. I would not consider Marlow to even be in it's class. I'd also consider Selene and OA and Cheoy Lee, at least some models of each. I don't think you could go wrong with Outer Reef though.

Yes. Plus, OR's are built with offshore duty in mind and so rated. Been on several with a friend owning the 70 model. Personally I'd take an OR over the Fleming. Marlow not even close with terrible machinery access.

Lounge, while you're at it, buy a good few member.

When I jumped from my 51’ DeFever to my 66’ Cheoy Lee LRC (2 years ago), the only thing the insurance company required was for me to get “checked off” by a licensed captain. He had several pages we went through as we motored around for a couple of hours. I do not have a captains license. I was told by my insurance company that anytime you jump up by more than 10’, you need to get checked off by a captain.

When I jumped from my 51’ DeFever to my 66’ Cheoy Lee LRC (2 years ago), the only thing the insurance company required was for me to get “checked off” by a licensed captain. He had several pages we went through as we motored around for a couple of hours. I do not have a captains license. I was told by my insurance company that anytime you jump up by more than 10’, you need to get checked off by a captain.

Not unusual at all, as this situation is exactly they- a check ride.

Now, going from a 20’ vessel to a 60’ vessel is another situation altogether.

Not unusual at all, as this situation is exactly they- a check ride.

Now, going from a 20’ vessel to a 60’ vessel is another situation altogether.

Wifey B: Our first leap was 30' inland to 44 and 63' coastal. We sort of suggested out plans which was licensed captain on 44 for 7 days and on 63 for 30 days. Insurance said it sounded good to them and wrote it in. By the time we made any other leap we were licensed. :)

Always happy to help.
I spend allot of time at the Outer Reef shipyard in Taiwan so have been on most of the boats over the last 13 years.
If you have any questions please contact me by email on my profile

Steve Forest.
Taiwan

Recently looked at several Offshore’s...very impressive and worth a look.

.....I found the way you put your initial post as amusing and responded in kind.

I had found TF to be a pretty welcoming place up till now, with these kinds of responses it feels a lot more like a stuffy old boys club where it's necessary to fit a certain 'mold' or else be made uncomfortable by a select few that feel the need to point out in no uncertain terms the perceived foibles and shortcomings of anyone new.
We read a different post then, there was nothing amusing about it, he asked a serious question with specific brands and locations in mind.

It's comments like yours that make this place unwelcoming (I don't buy that you were speaking in jest). Why would anyone want to come on here and share and ask for advice if they are going to be judged by others. I see it all the time on this site unfortunately.

Looking to move my life (me and 2 mutts) onto a 60-70' vessel. Presently looking at Marlow/Outer Reef/Fleming. Love the Fleming but cost is much greater than the other 2. Wondering about build quality and rough water hanling and comfort. Plan to cruise from the east coast to Alaska and back and then tour the Caribbean for a few years.

I have a 60’ Selene being painted in Miami. It’s an awesome boat that I’m selling once it is done. Great maintenance history and I am a captain who cares. It may fit your idea of what to buy. John

Who is painting your boat in Miami?

Pau Hana -
I'd say that with his 100-ton license the 'jump' won't be a problem.

I do wonder if there are some solid custom yachts in the pre-owned market that would fit the bill.

My wife and I have lived on a 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian for the last two years. We are currently spending the hurricane season in Grenada after journeying from Fort Lauderdale last year through the Bahamas and Caribbean.

One of the challenges with our journey has been that most marinas can accommodate up to a 50’ or even a 55’ boat ease. Boats of greater length face some dockage challenges. The longer the boat the greater the challenge.

Mooring becomes a significant challenge because many mooring fields limit the size and/or weight of the boats. For example our 64’ and 60 tons keep us off most mooring balls. In BVI every anchorage is populated with mooring balls the limit the lengths of the boats to 50’ to provide need swing room. Also, many of the mooring balls are not “approved” or inspected and they are high risk in a blow.

Staying off the mooring balls in the Bahamas and Caribbean sounds easy - not really when you have to anchor beyond the mooring fields sometimes not too protected from wind, waves and swells in depths that can approach 50-70 feet. How much anchor chain/rode do you carry? Oh, and don’t even think about a rope rode as it will easily chaff on coral that sprinkles the bottom in most anchorages.

All of that said, our 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian (20’ beam and 5.5’ draft) is a true long range cruiser. 2200 gals of diesel provides a 1500 nm range at 8.5kts. The top speed of the 20 kts out of twin 800 hp CAT diesels will get you out of harms way. Unfortunately the range is reduced to 500 nm.

The 650 gal fresh water tank with a 60 gph watermaker provide virtually unlimited fresh water. A real luxury in the Caribbean. 150 gal holding tanks, one for black and one for gray, also allows great flexibility. Lastly a 20KW generator and 1200 AH AGM batteries make life easy.

Bottomline, we love our boat it is well equipped for long range cruising. But regard of the boat none will be perfect for everything.

Good luck.

Alba's Yacht Services at Hurricane Harbor.

Look at a Great Harbour 47. much less expensive and is unsinkable, self stabilized tons of room with great range. There is a used one that I personally know is in great shape in Jacksonville Florida.http://www.curtisstokes.net/trawler-for-sale-great-harbour-47-seven-tenths.html

Friend of owner and I don't have financial interest in the boat as is not my listing.

Alba's Yacht Services at Hurricane Harbor.

... most marinas can accommodate up to a 50’ or even a 55’ boat ease. Boats of greater length face some dockage challenges.
That’s a problem I faced with my 65 footer in Southern California. I remember the conclusion I drew back then was that 50ft is a more practical limit. Same thing with 30 amp service since 50 amp was not readily available.

That being said, when out in the deep ocean I believe that bigger is better. When the seas were 25-30 feet, I was really glad for the bigger boat.

PS - I’ve come across a couple of opportunities to buy a very large boat at an “affordable” price. But when it comes to 80-100 ft length I think I would only swing something like that if it were anchored or moored full time. Zero marina time.

Last edited:
Yes. Plus, OR's are built with offshore duty in mind and so rated. Been on several with a friend owning the 70 model. Personally I'd take an OR over the Fleming. Marlow not even close with terrible machinery access.

Strange, Marlows I've looked at, both at the factory & elsewhere, I thought had excellent machinery access, maybe not as good as Nordhavens seem to be.

Thanks JSB

I know the yard, pass it every time I go down the river. Let us know how it turns out.

Before I purchased my current boat I considered Marlow but after lots of deep research I turned it down. Just my opinion.

My 2 cents

I’ve spent time on an Outer Reef 63 and Marlow 74 and Fleming 55. All fine, well built accommodating yachts. In my opinion it comes down to style, accommodations, design, use and appearance. I feel all of these are very high quality yachts which will serve you well. Two others I might suggest are a Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen both of which are within the size range and quality you’re looking for. I might also suggest you speak with ow era of each of the brands you’re considering. Their insight may prove invaluable and assist in your choice. Good luck in your search.

Looking to move my life (me and 2 mutts) onto a 60-70' vessel. Presently looking at Marlow/Outer Reef/Fleming.

I have been looking for a ~60' footer for a while. I found the height of the ceiling plays big role in "subjective" feeling in how big the boat is. I would take a 55-footer with wide cabin and 6'10 ceiling over 65-footer with 6'4 ceiling. I have seen designs with 6'2 ceiling that felt like a cave.

I do not remember exactly how high the ceiling in the Fleming, but it is off my list due to the low ceiling height.

Alex

Before I purchased my current boat I considered Marlow but after lots of deep research I turned it down. Just my opinion.

I also rejected the Marlow.

I was Youtubing this weekend & ran across a couple of unique boats that the OP might find interesting:

jsbraga and Marlow is on your side of the coast. They do look good though.

That Benford Bay Coaster certainly looks like a fun “expedition” boat as long as your expeditions stick to coastal waters. I think if I were driving that thing in some of the crap I’ve been through at sea then I wouldn’t be here today chatting with you folks.

Every boat has a purpose - the problem is when salesmen start their selling!

The First edition of will answer many questions about going offshore.

The follow on editions are interesting , but mere advertising.

Voyaging Under Power: Robert Beebe,

That Benford Bay Coaster certainly looks like a fun “expedition” boat as long as your expeditions stick to coastal waters. I think if I were driving that thing in some of the crap I’ve been through at sea then I wouldn’t be here today chatting with you folks.

I'm going to assume that you're basing that on it's apparently high COG but without actual numbers & no indication of the hull design below the waterline you're just guessing. I remember reading an article about beamy boats with a high COG & it was stressed that they were difficult to knock down due to the center of bouncy which created an immense righting force. Regardless, Benford was a well regarded designer & the boat appears to have been built to a very high standard.

Back
Top Bottom