Old 07-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
PPD
Veteran Member

City: Mystic
Looking for guidance on Trawler makes

Hello everyone.

I’ve grown up a sailor, with my family’s boats being a pearson 30, Catalina 30, and an island packet 38. From there, I now own a 40’ Luhrs fishing boat. My wife and I are looking to run from Mystic CT down the intracoastal in the next couple years, and I have been looking at a variety of different boats, but range has lead me to the trawler category.

With a family of 5, I am looking in the 50-60’ range, twin engines, and a sizable range. Coming from sailboats, I got tired of running everywhere at 6-7 knots, and with my Luhrs, I run at about 10-12 knots which suits me fine.

So I started by coming across the Hatteras LRC 58, but it doesn’t seem to have the ability to move up over 10 knots if needed, which concerns me. I like everything about the boat, except for the lack of top end.

To the point (sorry for rambling), I would welcome anyone’s input on types/makes that would give me a good 2000 nm range, top speed of 12knots or better, room for 5 comfortably, and of course, doesn’t break the bank.

Thanks
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Hi PPD,
Welcome aboard!

There are many on this forum with trawlers in the size range you're looking at and I expect you will get a lot of contributions on this thread. Speed, however, seems to be a hot topic, of late.

Required reading for you, if you haven't come across these threads already:

On Loop boat options:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...oop-51727.html

On speed:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...eed-51752.html
Old 07-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
A boat in the size you are looking at, going 12 knots will throw quite a wake. There are an awfully lot of no wake zones on the ICW.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
There are many boats in that size range that will do 15+ knots if you don't mind feeding them but few with 2K range at that speed. You would do better searching for aft cabin motor yachts rather than trawlers. I know it can be argued but to most "Trawler" implies traditional looks and comfortable travel at economical speeds.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
Hello everyone.

I’ve grown up a sailor, with my family’s boats being a pearson 30, Catalina 30, and an island packet 38. From there, I now own a 40’ Luhrs fishing boat. My wife and I are looking to run from Mystic CT down the intracoastal in the next couple years, and I have been looking at a variety of different boats, but range has lead me to the trawler category.

With a family of 5, I am looking in the 50-60’ range, twin engines, and a sizable range. Coming from sailboats, I got tired of running everywhere at 6-7 knots, and with my Luhrs, I run at about 10-12 knots which suits me fine.

So I started by coming across the Hatteras LRC 58, but it doesn’t seem to have the ability to move up over 10 knots if needed, which concerns me. I like everything about the boat, except for the lack of top end.

To the point (sorry for rambling), I would welcome anyone’s input on types/makes that would give me a good 2000 nm range, top speed of 12knots or better, room for 5 comfortably, and of course, doesn’t break the bank.

Thanks
Your post has me a but confused so just to clarify a bit here are some questions.
- you want a 2000nm range to run the east coast from Maine to Florida?
- the 12 knot top speed , do you intend to run at 12 knots often or for extended periods of time?
- fuel use per mile travelled is not mentioned as a goal is that on purpose?
- your summary is three items: range, speed, and less cost to acquire - are they in priority order? Do you have a metric for price?
- other than the Hat58 LRC have you seen any other finalists for your list?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
PPD
Veteran Member

My intention is to have some room in the top end of the boat for safety, but to generally run around 9-10 knots. Fuel economy is important, but my priority list would be:

1. Range and speed (2000 nm and 12 knot min)
2. Three staterooms
3. Cost under $400k

The Hatteras fits the bill but I would look hard for 6v-71s in it or possibly reporting with those.

I have very little knowledge of the trawler market, but considering that I’m looking for range and I don’t need to go 15,20 or 30 knots, I should look here and not for a true MY with 12v- engines

Hopefully that makes some sense.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
My intention is to have some room in the top end of the boat for safety, but to generally run around 9-10 knots. Fuel economy is important, but my priority list would be:

1. Range and speed (2000 nm and 12 knot min)
2. Three staterooms
3. Cost under $400k

The Hatteras fits the bill but I would look hard for 6v-71s in it or possibly reporting with those.

I have very little knowledge of the trawler market, but considering that I’m looking for range and I don’t need to go 15,20 or 30 knots, I should look here and not for a true MY with 12v- engines

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Yes - that does make sense as a start.
Those Hats are really huge inside not like many boats on the market so if that is one of your baselines you have a large volume goal.
The 58Hat we ran with on a few vacations would not really cruise at 12 knots with his 6V-71's - they seemed to be in good shape. At 8 knots he was at about 1nmpg without the gensets and at 10 he was a bit below 1 nmpg.
The 2000 nmile range is tough on any boat this size and will only hold true at specific speeds - not needed on the east coast but you know that already.

There is a 58 Hat YF on the south shore of LI for sale for less than $85K if memory suits me well but the fuel cap is typically around 800 - 1,000 gallons in those. I think its a 1978 or 1979.

You do not seem to have any specs for other things like:
- air clearance
- water draft
- beam
- stabilization
- ability to carry dinghy
etc.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
PPD
Veteran Member

Thanks Smitty

I am
Looking for something drafting 6’ or less ideally, with stabilizers, and a bridge deck to carry the RIB. Beam - I’m looking to keep in my boatyard in CT which should accommodate the Hatteras’ weight and beam - 16-18’ depending on model. I’m not overly concerned with Air clearance, as I anticipate having to plan my passages around whatever height restriction the right boat dictates. If I could run at about 1 nm/gal, with sufficient tankage like the Hatt has, and at 8-10 knots, it would check off a lot of the needs.

Another thing I like about the Hatt LRC is the full beam engine room.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Smitty

I am
Looking for something drafting 6’ or less ideally, with stabilizers, and a bridge deck to carry the RIB. Beam - I’m looking to keep in my boatyard in CT which should accommodate the Hatteras’ weight and beam - 16-18’ depending on model. I’m not overly concerned with Air clearance, as I anticipate having to plan my passages around whatever height restriction the right boat dictates. If I could run at about 1 nm/gal, with sufficient tankage like the Hatt has, and at 8-10 knots, it would check off a lot of the needs.

Another thing I like about the Hatt LRC is the full beam engine room.
Your draft and air clearance lets most powerboats play in your search.
Including the great lakes and other destinations would have trimmed that search a bit.
18' beam and 90,000#'s plus sounds like maybe Norwalk - we are directly across the sound from Norwalk.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Understand, I am not criticizing, I love your plans, but..

It kills me how people casually throw it out there, "Or I can just repower" with engines of choice.

Repowering a 58 foot hattie would cost you a minimum of $150,000, probably over $200,000 if you change anything like engine make, shafts, transmissions props, etc. It is a HUGE project which from start to finish would take your boat out of commission for most of a season. Also, a $200,000 engine replacement project would add almost nothing to the resale value of the boat. If you paid $400,000 for the boat, you would not be able to get any more than that on resale. This is in spite of the new engines, probably new electronic monitoring, balanced shafts and props, new engine mounts, new filtering system and who knows what all else.

When you buy a used boat, you should really strive to buy it the way you will love it. Otherwise the second happiest day in a boat owners life, for you, will not be very happy..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Understand, I am not criticizing, I love your plans, but..

It kills me how people casually throw it out there, "Or I can just repower" with engines of choice.

Repowering a 58 foot hattie would cost you a minimum of $150,000, probably over $200,000 if you change anything like engine make, shafts, transmissions props, etc. It is a HUGE project which from start to finish would take your boat out of commission for most of a season. Also, a $200,000 engine replacement project would add almost nothing to the resale value of the boat. If you paid $400,000 for the boat, you would not be able to get any more than that on resale. This is in spite of the new engines, probably new electronic monitoring, balanced shafts and props, new engine mounts, new filtering system and who knows what all else.

When you buy a used boat, you should really strive to buy it the way you will love it. Otherwise the second happiest day in a boat owners life, for you, will not be very happy..

pete
With you Pete. And who knows if putting 671s in will give him what he wants without running them in the corner. I expect the Hat 58 LRC is maybe a 12 knot boat if you put a thousand horses under the hood.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

I forgot about the big Bennie's. Fast trawlers but nowhere near being in his price range. Goat budget and race horse dreams. I love the dreamer post. Lot of them floating around here.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I thought there were hundreds of refueling points in the Intercoastal along the eastern USA. Why the must-have need for a boat which could make the journey without refueling?
Old 07-13-2020, 05:16 AM   #14
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
OP's criteria of 2000nms @ 12-kts greatly reduce options unless waterline and stowage is expands. Here is one that roughly meets his criteria except for perhaps beam (Domino - an offshore PowerCat)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...no-20-3495698/

"Domino" has just returned in record time from a quick trip to Acapulco, making the 900 nm passage in 2.5 days to outrun a storm.

Cruising Speed: 10 knots
Maximum Speed: 22 knots

Fresh Water Tanks: (422 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (2955 Gallons)
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Coming from sailboats, I got tired of running everywhere at 6-7 knots, and with my Luhrs, I run at about 10-12 knots which suits me fine.
In 2004, I did the Baja Ha Ha aboard a friend's Willard 40, a full displacement trawler. The Ha Ha is a rally that has been around for 20+ years and leaves out of San Diego 800 nms south to Cabo San Lucas each year around Halloween.

The year we did it, we were one of four powerboats in a fleet of 160. The average sailboat was around 43-feet, so similar hull-speed. Prevailing seas and winds are over the stern, so favorable. Still, for each of the ~250nm legs, we were one of the first 10-boats into the anchorage, beat only by a few 60+ foot racing-style sleds with very experienced crew. Most boats came in over a half-day later, some over a full day later with crew's that looked like Bataan Death March survivors.

My point being is that 7-kts under sail is slower than 7-kts under power. Now, it's not going to turn a displacement trawler into 250-300 mile days (your target number), but if your displacement experience is based on sail, you might be surprised at displacement speed in a well found boat. The Hatt you mentioned will likely do close to 225 nms/day on average, which in the long distance world, is hoofing it pretty well while leaving enough room on your credit card for dinner out. Even a J-160, 65-foot racer/cruiser sailboat (and a beauty at that!) would max-out at 200nms/day (tops).

You might consider relaxing your criteria a bit to open up some options. It may not be as big of a compromise as you fear.

Peter
(ex-delivery skipper based in San Francisco)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #16

City: Loganville, GA
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Defever 53 POC? Only about 1000 gal fuel capacity, but pretty much everything else you're asking for.
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
In 2004, I did the Baja Ha Ha aboard a friend's Willard 40, a full displacement trawler. The Ha Ha is a rally that has been around for 20+ years and leaves out of San Diego 800 nms south to Cabo San Lucas each year around Halloween.

The year we did it, we were one of four powerboats in a fleet of 160. The average sailboat was around 43-feet, so similar hull-speed. Prevailing seas and winds are over the stern, so favorable. Still, for each of the ~250nm legs, we were one of the first 10-boats into the anchorage, beat only by a few 60+ foot racing-style sleds with very experienced crew. Most boats came in over a half-day later, some over a full day later with crew's that looked like Bataan Death March survivors.

My point being is that 7-kts under sail is slower than 7-kts under power. Now, it's not going to turn a displacement trawler into 250-300 mile days (your target number), but if your displacement experience is based on sail, you might be surprised at displacement speed in a well found boat. The Hatt you mentioned will likely do close to 225 nms/day on average, which in the long distance world, is hoofing it pretty well while leaving enough room on your credit card for dinner out. Even a J-160, 65-foot racer/cruiser sailboat (and a beauty at that!) would max-out at 200nms/day (tops).

You might consider relaxing your criteria a bit to open up some options. It may not be as big of a compromise as you fear.

Peter
(ex-delivery skipper based in San Francisco)
"Now, it's not going to turn a displacement trawler into 250-300 mile days (your target number)"

I do not see that as one of his goals - maybe it is and maybe its not. Perhaps he can clarify this as well.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"Now, it's not going to turn a displacement trawler into 250-300 mile days (your target number)"

I do not see that as one of his goals - maybe it is and maybe its not. Perhaps he can clarify this as well.
From the OP:

would give me a good 2000 nm range, top speed of 12knots or better,

More or less 250-300 nms/day. Of course, I am inferring that he wants the 2000 nm range to run continuously, which you are correct, OP could clarify that desire is to run outside the entire coast.

When I was delivering, I had the distinct pleasure of bringing a Nordhavn 57 from Dana Point to Ft Lauderdale. Trip was broken into three legs of about 1500 nms each: stops in Acapulco and Panama City for fuel. Start to finish, trip was 25-days and averaged 227 nms/day, around 9-kts. From Acapulco to Panama, we shadowed an 80-foot Azimut (or something) that did 20-kts but stopped twice, presumably for fuel, so we actually beat him to Panama.

Peter
Old 07-13-2020, 07:57 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
From the OP:

would give me a good 2000 nm range, top speed of 12knots or better,

More or less 250-300 nms/day. Of course, I am inferring that he wants the 2000 nm range to run continuously, which you are correct, OP could clarify that desire is to run outside the entire coast.

When I was delivering, I had the distinct pleasure of bringing a Nordhavn 57 from Dana Point to Ft Lauderdale. Trip was broken into three legs of about 1500 nms each: stops in Acapulco and Panama City for fuel. Start to finish, trip was 25-days and averaged 227 nms/day, around 9-kts. From Acapulco to Panama, we shadowed an 80-foot Azimut (or something) that did 20-kts but stopped twice, presumably for fuel, so we actually beat him to Panama.

Peter

Sounded much like he wanted to run the intercoastal which would not really be conducive to 250-300 mile days.
"My wife and I are looking to run from Mystic CT down the intracoastal in the next couple years,"

My daughter ran a 68 Azimut last year from Long Island to Ft Lauderdale and was back here by air flight on the 3rd day and back at her regular job on the 4th. They had pretty good weather and ran the outside.