looking for an Eartec solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
Several times when anchoring I have almost lost the Eartec head set overboard. It's a 'one ear' style and is very loose. I am thinking maybe a headband or similar to secure it better? And, should I add a security lanyard?

Maybe just a sweat band over the ears to hold it in.

Sell them on eBay and buy the double headset model.

The double is very secure.

We purchased ours used, and the seller had lanyards on them with carabiners on the end to attach to PFDs, or just loop into your shirt pocket. I've knocked mine off twice, and the lanyard was useful.
I prefer the single earphone, as it allows me to hear others easily.

My wife wears a hat that keeps hers on. I use a leash that is attached to my PFD. It has saved it twice from falling into the water when I was looking down over the side rail and once looking at the anchor coming up while leaning over the bow pulpit.

Personally I agree with Scott about the single vs double ear and easily being able to listen to "outside" sounds. I used the lanyard idea and found this to work well. However, a person could easily use an elastic (stretchie) headband to "hold them on your head" either instead or in addition to the lanyard.
Obviously you don't want to lose one overboard. :)

My wife uses a sweatband over hers. It works fine. I've never had a problem with mine. For one thing, my wife takes hers off before she leans very far over each time, announcing beforehand so i know she's off comms..

yep, my wife wears a cap with hers (single). We also have lanyards that have saved us a few times.

A Lanyard Works

Several times when anchoring I have almost lost the Eartec head set overboard. It's a 'one ear' style and is very loose. I am thinking maybe a headband or similar to secure it better? And, should I add a security lanyard?

We use a lanyard for surefire protection.

Same problem here. Jumping from the boat to the dock will do it too. Mine stays on much better if I wear a hat. I like the lanyard idea.

Try this motorcycle under the ear loop headset. They never fall off. We gave up on the Eartec solutions and switched to these. They are so comfortable as well! Many of our friends saw ours and purchased them for their boats as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sena-SPH...nication-System-with-Microphone-Kit/119972898

Those Sena headsets are light and comfortable.

However they are very expensive, fragile and the part connecting the earpiece to the rest of the set is very thin and will break in a year or so. They do not sell replacement parts for repair. I complained loudly to Sena, threatened them and was able to return the headsets for refund.

I replaced the Sena with the Eartec double ear cup model and very happy with them.

I bought the lanyard, secured it around the ear piece and opposite side to create a “back stop” so it would not accidentally fall off when bending forward. Did something similar with a Velcro strap. Both work.

Bluetooth cellphone ear buds and a cell call would certainly seem more effective than headsets that look like they are a child’s toy from the 90s. And they work for regular calls and music so they are money spent for something used for more than just docking. I personally use aeropex open com bone conducting headhones. More than one person is solved by a conference call btw.

Bluetooth cellphone ear buds and a cell call would certainly seem more effective than headsets that look like they are a child’s toy from the 90s. And they work for regular calls and music so they are money spent for something used for more than just docking. I personally use aeropex open com bone conducting headhones. More than one person is solved by a conference call btw.

There is not cell service everywhere.

It appears most like the single earmuff Eartecs, but they do tend to slip off. I have the dual muff Eartecs and it's correct you cant hear outside voices well at all, but they don't slip off my head. I can still hear through the Eartecs around loud outside noises (like running engines) because both ears are covered. If I need to hear voices (while on the doc, for example) I simply slide one earmuff off one ear. Pros and cons to each style. I know this doesn't really help the OP, but it might help new buyers to make a choice right for them.

Back
Top Bottom