Old 09-08-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: George Town
Vessel Name: Bom Dia
Vessel Model: DeFever 44 OC
Looking for a delivery Captain

Hi we are looking for an experienced delivery Captain and mate to deliver a Defever 44 from Sheboygan WI to Tarpon Springs FL. need to start the journey by the end of September/early October.

Please let me know if available .
Grahambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Dang! That sounds like a wonderful adventure. Wish I was a licensed Captain. Good luck in your search. I'm sure someone here knows a qualified delivery skipper for the job.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Dang! That sounds like a wonderful adventure. Wish I was a licensed Captain. Good luck in your search. I'm sure someone here knows a qualified delivery skipper for the job.
Agreed! Let me know if you need a good deckhand. (cheap!)
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Don't need to be a licensed captain unless the owner prefers it or the insurance demands it.

At least not yet that I know of.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #5
cks

City: Oradell
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: 2003 42’ Grand Banks Europa
If you can book him, Karl Weber , located in FL, is excellent!!!!
I actually flew him from Florida to California to bring my newly acquired Grand Banks from San Francisco to Ensenada in 2017.
PM me for contact info.
cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Having been an active delivery captain out of San Francisco and cruised the Florida gulf coast, I can tell you my experience along the Pacific was more or less meaningless in Florida. And vice versa. Not saying deep local knowledge is needed for entire route, but a working knowledge of conditions, weather, customary practices etc should be a expected of a delivery skipper.

There are likely captains with decent experience of moving boats along the Loop, especially from the northern approaches. I would look for special knowledge

My understanding of requirements for a paid delivery skipper is the same as Psneeld's- license is not required by USCG, but may be by insurance company

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Having been an active delivery captain out of San Francisco and cruised the Florida gulf coast, I can tell you my experience along the Pacific was more or less meaningless in Florida. And vice versa. Not saying deep local knowledge is needed for entire route, but a working knowledge of conditions, weather, customary practices etc should be a expected of a delivery skipper.
Totally agree! When I said "qualified" I was thinking more about actual experience on the route. But as an owner, were I to have someone deliver my vessel that far I would definitely insist they be licensed, in addition to experienced.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #8

City: Senoia, Ga
Free Mate

I've been trying to complete the Great Loop as a crew member for approximately 10 years and have done nearly 2/3 so far. I currently have a 38 C & L Sea Ranger in Brunswick Ga but would have to redo a lot of the loop if I used my own boat. I don't feel qualified to captain someone else' boat but would happily join a qualified captain as a mate for essentially free.
rpjourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #9

City: Edenton, NC
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander
I am a captain (50 ton Master, in process of upgrading to 100 ton) since 2017 and have done most of that route in the last two years. Please email me at jimfrens@comcast.net and I will send you my resume.

Jim
jimfrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Would love to take it on but cannot. Never had a problem when the owner waved my by then-expired unlimited tonnage master license at the insurance company plus ownership of a GB for many years. With a modicum of experience and your desire, the insurance company will probably be fine with your choice.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #11

What’s the air draft of that DeFever?
Old 09-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #12
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrens View Post
What’s the air draft of that DeFever?
Doesn't matter. From Sheboygan to Tarpon Springs that DeFever will not have an air draft problem if she is taken through the Cal-Sag.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks, everyone, had some good responses (over 20, 12 of which qualified/experienced licensed Captains. Our criteria were based on two things, licensed and experienced with the river run and Gulf crossing). FYI my wife posted on a Great Loop Facebook page where we received several applications - I am not a FB user but it seems very active on all things Great Loop related (as of course is the AGLCA membership site). For future reference, if anyone else is looking at a similar delivery approx cost will be in the $18-20k range (includes the daily rate for Captain and mate, fuel, some marina stops, food etc. We wish we would have done the trip but time and other commitments are not on our side and we need to get her South before the freeze and everything shuts down come mid-October to early May. Then of course several locks are being closed for repairs from June 1st next year for several months.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:50 PM   #14

$18-20k? My estimate would be about half of that, depending on the boat’s MPG.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I wish! depending on weather, lock wait times etc it is an 18-22 day trip of hard cruising @ 10 hours a day. she will burn approx $250.00 a day in fuel (avg $6.00 a gallon, 4 gallons an hour), avg $100.00 a night for marina fees (assumes some days on the hook others not- when not on the hook still burning fuel for the generator, $65.00 a day for food/drink for two, the daily rate for licensed Captain and mate range $400-$500.00 a day. flight costs for the Captain and mate- and there you have it: $18-20k.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:46 PM   #16

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: BuoyCall
Vessel Model: 2010 Sea Fox 236 Center Console, Looking for a Looper boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

There are likely captains with decent experience of moving boats along the Loop, especially from the northern approaches. I would look for special knowledge

My understanding of requirements for a paid delivery skipper is the same as Psneeld's- license is not required by USCG, but may be by insurance company

Good luck.

Peter
I am looking to get my captains license to lower my insurance premium and two, maybe deliver a boat now and then. How much experience did you myster before delivering your first boat?
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:54 PM   #17

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: BuoyCall
Vessel Model: 2010 Sea Fox 236 Center Console, Looking for a Looper boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahambda View Post
Hi we are looking for an experienced delivery Captain and mate to deliver a Defever 44 from Sheboygan WI to Tarpon Springs FL. need to start the journey by the end of September/early October.

Please let me know if available .
Have you contacted your insurance agent to let the carrier know of your plan? May need to add a quick endorsement to your policy adding the captain and crew..cya. I have a client who hired a captain to bring his newly bought sailboat from the usvi to alaska, carrier wanted full resumes, itinerary, and a crew of three...all documented. It was easy to do God forbid an emergency arose. Good luck!!!!
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:48 PM   #18

It takes a lot of experience to get a Captain (master) license, 270-360 days at sea over a five year period. You will likely have to offer your services as a Mate (crew) for free for a while in order to gain delivery experience before someone will hire you as a primary captain.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #19

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
I have a friend here in Florida that’s a delivery captain.
Scott Padeni
518-859-4497
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #20

City: Griffin
Vessel Name: Paradiso
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Karl and his team are excellent. Go with them. Helped us deliver our Mainship Pilot 34 from Stuart Fl to Lake Guntersville Alabama. Great experience.
ParadisoTrovato is offline   Reply With Quote