Looking for a delivery Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grahambda

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bom Dia
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
Hi we are looking for an experienced delivery Captain and mate to deliver a Defever 44 from Sheboygan WI to Tarpon Springs FL. need to start the journey by the end of September/early October.

Please let me know if available .

Dang! That sounds like a wonderful adventure. Wish I was a licensed Captain. Good luck in your search. I'm sure someone here knows a qualified delivery skipper for the job.

Dang! That sounds like a wonderful adventure. Wish I was a licensed Captain. Good luck in your search. I'm sure someone here knows a qualified delivery skipper for the job.

Agreed! Let me know if you need a good deckhand. (cheap!)

Don't need to be a licensed captain unless the owner prefers it or the insurance demands it.

At least not yet that I know of.

If you can book him, Karl Weber , located in FL, is excellent!!!!
I actually flew him from Florida to California to bring my newly acquired Grand Banks from San Francisco to Ensenada in 2017.
PM me for contact info.

Having been an active delivery captain out of San Francisco and cruised the Florida gulf coast, I can tell you my experience along the Pacific was more or less meaningless in Florida. And vice versa. Not saying deep local knowledge is needed for entire route, but a working knowledge of conditions, weather, customary practices etc should be a expected of a delivery skipper.

There are likely captains with decent experience of moving boats along the Loop, especially from the northern approaches. I would look for special knowledge

My understanding of requirements for a paid delivery skipper is the same as Psneeld's- license is not required by USCG, but may be by insurance company

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:
Having been an active delivery captain out of San Francisco and cruised the Florida gulf coast, I can tell you my experience along the Pacific was more or less meaningless in Florida. And vice versa. Not saying deep local knowledge is needed for entire route, but a working knowledge of conditions, weather, customary practices etc should be a expected of a delivery skipper.

Totally agree! When I said "qualified" I was thinking more about actual experience on the route. But as an owner, were I to have someone deliver my vessel that far I would definitely insist they be licensed, in addition to experienced.

Free Mate

I've been trying to complete the Great Loop as a crew member for approximately 10 years and have done nearly 2/3 so far. I currently have a 38 C & L Sea Ranger in Brunswick Ga but would have to redo a lot of the loop if I used my own boat. I don't feel qualified to captain someone else' boat but would happily join a qualified captain as a mate for essentially free.

I am a captain (50 ton Master, in process of upgrading to 100 ton) since 2017 and have done most of that route in the last two years. Please email me at jimfrens@comcast.net and I will send you my resume.

Jim

Would love to take it on but cannot. Never had a problem when the owner waved my by then-expired unlimited tonnage master license at the insurance company plus ownership of a GB for many years. With a modicum of experience and your desire, the insurance company will probably be fine with your choice.

What’s the air draft of that DeFever?
Doesn't matter. From Sheboygan to Tarpon Springs that DeFever will not have an air draft problem if she is taken through the Cal-Sag.

Thanks, everyone, had some good responses (over 20, 12 of which qualified/experienced licensed Captains. Our criteria were based on two things, licensed and experienced with the river run and Gulf crossing). FYI my wife posted on a Great Loop Facebook page where we received several applications - I am not a FB user but it seems very active on all things Great Loop related (as of course is the AGLCA membership site). For future reference, if anyone else is looking at a similar delivery approx cost will be in the $18-20k range (includes the daily rate for Captain and mate, fuel, some marina stops, food etc. We wish we would have done the trip but time and other commitments are not on our side and we need to get her South before the freeze and everything shuts down come mid-October to early May. Then of course several locks are being closed for repairs from June 1st next year for several months.

$18-20k? My estimate would be about half of that, depending on the boat’s MPG.

I wish! depending on weather, lock wait times etc it is an 18-22 day trip of hard cruising @ 10 hours a day. she will burn approx $250.00 a day in fuel (avg $6.00 a gallon, 4 gallons an hour), avg $100.00 a night for marina fees (assumes some days on the hook others not- when not on the hook still burning fuel for the generator, $65.00 a day for food/drink for two, the daily rate for licensed Captain and mate range $400-$500.00 a day. flight costs for the Captain and mate- and there you have it: $18-20k.

There are likely captains with decent experience of moving boats along the Loop, especially from the northern approaches. I would look for special knowledge

My understanding of requirements for a paid delivery skipper is the same as Psneeld's- license is not required by USCG, but may be by insurance company

Good luck.

Peter

I am looking to get my captains license to lower my insurance premium and two, maybe deliver a boat now and then. How much experience did you myster before delivering your first boat?

Hi we are looking for an experienced delivery Captain and mate to deliver a Defever 44 from Sheboygan WI to Tarpon Springs FL. need to start the journey by the end of September/early October.

Please let me know if available .

Have you contacted your insurance agent to let the carrier know of your plan? May need to add a quick endorsement to your policy adding the captain and crew..cya. I have a client who hired a captain to bring his newly bought sailboat from the usvi to alaska, carrier wanted full resumes, itinerary, and a crew of three...all documented. It was easy to do God forbid an emergency arose. Good luck!!!!

It takes a lot of experience to get a Captain (master) license, 270-360 days at sea over a five year period. You will likely have to offer your services as a Mate (crew) for free for a while in order to gain delivery experience before someone will hire you as a primary captain.

I have a friend here in Florida that’s a delivery captain.
Scott Padeni
518-859-4497

Karl and his team are excellent. Go with them. Helped us deliver our Mainship Pilot 34 from Stuart Fl to Lake Guntersville Alabama. Great experience.

Bob and Pam Shircliff
100 Ton Master. Lots of experience and great people. Have done the loop and portions of it many times.

rshirc@gmail.com
502-939-9045

Tell them Dan Kiefer referred you.

The guy I used in Florida, who is familiar with all the waterways you are interested in is Scott Walley. Great guy, very knowledgeable about all things "yacht" from engines to electronics. His phone number is 251-209-1992. Give him a call - you'll be impressed.

I have delivered many boats along this route. I live on the west coast of Florida. I am also very familiar with the Defever 44 from the engine room up. Feel free to Email me at: dockthis@gmail.com

Terry

Captain Richard Hughes (727) 254-1333
Awesome, great communication. He and Captain Ed who works along side him were fantastic. He just completed a delivery for me on a 45 Californian. During handoff went thru all the systems and things they found. Then after handoff called twice a day checking on our progress and giving weather reports which were spot on. Highly recommended. Let him know I recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their recommendations and interest, we have now secured the services of a Captain and mate. Now fingers crossed the weather and locks will co-operate for the next 2-3 weeks!

I got this today when I inquired about moving a 63 Outer Reef from Oxnard to HHI SC. It's a long trip I suppose....Oxnard is just below Santa Barbara. I was told it would be around 60 days total if all goes well.

Thanks for reaching out.

Below is a breakdown of the average costs for this trip.

-Delivery
$45,000
-Fuel
$18,000
-Spare parts/supplies
$5000
-Panama Canal Fees/Agent
$4000
-Crew Transportation
$3000

Total
$75,000

Thanks everyone for their recommendations and interest, we have now secured the services of a Captain and mate. Now fingers crossed the weather and locks will co-operate for the next 2-3 weeks!

If you’re the person who hired the “Freebird” from Tennessee, you’re in excellent hands, especially for those river waters and locks. Plus, he’s quite an entertaining character.

I got this today when I inquired about moving a 63 Outer Reef from Oxnard to HHI SC. It's a long trip I suppose....Oxnard is just below Santa Barbara. I was told it would be around 60 days total if all goes well.

Thanks for reaching out.

Below is a breakdown of the average costs for this trip.

-Delivery
$45,000
-Fuel
$18,000
-Spare parts/supplies
$5000
-Panama Canal Fees/Agent
$4000
-Crew Transportation
$3000

Total
$75,000

I was quoted $60,000 to move a boat from Monroe LA to Seattle about 10 years ago.

I second Bob Shircliff. I used him to help me move my boat from the west side of Florida to Maryland, Couldn’t get a better captain

If you can book him, Karl Weber , located in FL, is excellent!!!!
I actually flew him from Florida to California to bring my newly acquired Grand Banks from San Francisco to Ensenada in 2017.
PM me for contact info.

Does he do boat surveys? I am currently considering buying a boat in Tarpon Springs.
Thanks,
Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom