Old 01-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Looking for a buyers boat broker in WA

Apologies if I'm not posting in the correct thread regarding this, but Im in the process of searching for a boat and wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a good helpful boat broker in the Seattle/WA market?

I was referred to a broker, but he has not been very responsive and never follows up, so Im kind of stuck.

Please respond or PM me if easier.

Thanks All
DRGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
What type of boat are you after (what is your mission)? I have someone in mind, but only for some flavors.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Call Dan Wood at Crow's Nest Yacht Sales in Seattle. Tell him the guy he helped buy the 55 Sedan Bridge Sea Ray 10 years ago recommended him. I talked with him today and he remembered the whole deal after about 1 minute with me. He's a straight shooter.

206-719-1800 Cell
206-625-1580 Work
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
What type of boat are you after (what is your mission)? I have someone in mind, but only for some flavors.
Irene, Im looking for a NW Trawler style boat---Preferring either Europa or Sun Deck style, but of course open to look at all options.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have a buyer’s broker. He no longer sells boats, he only represents buyers. He will sit down with you just to learn what you are looking for. He has a surveyor’s eye, this means you will have a good idea what the survey says before you even commission a survey. He has his own offer sheets that treat the buyer fairly. With all this personal service it shouldn’t be a surprise that he cannot handle budgets of less than $200,000.

Let me know if you are interested.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Is the term "buyers boat broker" a legally defined term and regulated occupation in the state?

If not there is no such thing.

You are then asking for a broker who legally always represents the seller, and has fiduciary obligation to same, but hopefully doesn't make it a habit to screw over the buyers too bad.

Understanding this is key to avoiding disappointment, or worse.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
GFC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Is the term "buyers boat broker" a legally defined term and regulated occupation in the state?

You are then asking for a broker who legally always represents the seller, and has fiduciary obligation to same, but hopefully doesn't make it a habit to screw over the buyers too bad.

Oscar, I respectfully disagree. I used the man I recommended above when we bought our current boat. I told him I didn't want or need him to be directly involved in the negotiations or any part of the transaction, I only wanted him to be available to take my call if I had a question about any part of the deal.

He was, in effect, my buyer's broker.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Oscar, I respectfully disagree. I used the man I recommended above when we bought our current boat. I told him I didn't want or need him to be directly involved in the negotiations or any part of the transaction, I only wanted him to be available to take my call if I had a question about any part of the deal.

He was, in effect, my buyer's broker.
"In effect" is not the same as legally. He was legally nothing. A consultant. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm sure he's a nice guy that does a decent job, but not a buyers broker with regulated qualifications and legal fiduciary obligation.

If anything in the deal were to go South, he would have zero liability.

Depending on location the term "Buyers Broker" may or may not mean anything, and at times can be misleading. All I wanted was the OP to be aware of that. There's a lot of places where people call themselves buyers brokers because they can, but they are not.

The term "Broker" is regulated in every state that I know of and means something.

Let me ask you this..... Did he get paid, and if so how?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
GFC
Guru

Quote:
"In effect" is not the same as legally. He was legally nothing. A consultant. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm sure he's a nice guy that does a decent job, but not a buyers broker with regulated qualifications and legal fiduciary obligation.
I agree 100%. I specifically did not want or need him to be directly involved in the transaction.

Correct. Again, by my choice.

Depending on location the term "Buyers Broker" may or may not mean anything, and at times can be misleading. All I wanted was the OP to be aware of that. There's a lot of places where people call themselves buyers brokers because they can, but they are not.

The term "Broker" is regulated in every state that I know of and means something.

I wrote him a check for his services. It did not appear anywhere in the transaction paperwork.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:

In the state of WA, brokers are licensed and regulated. There are standards that define which party you represent. You can not just call your self a buyer’s broker with out holding a broker’s license in WA.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
In the state of WA, brokers are licensed and regulated. There are standards that define which party you represent. You can not just call your self a buyer’s broker with out holding a broker’s license in WA.
OK, much like real estate in some states. That's good.

So then it follows that.... (see below)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I wrote him a check for his services. It did not appear anywhere in the transaction paperwork.
OK, I'm glad it worked for you. He was a consultant.

NOT a buyers broker.

Words matter.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:31 AM   #13

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
We used Andrew Trueblood, owner of Ocean Trawler Yachts in Seattle. Purchased a boat he was representing, then worked with him as “our broker” when we decided to sell #1 and purchase what was then an unknown #2. He will work as a buyers broker - although I don’t know if that is a legal/regulated term in WA state. Most selling brokers will honor some form of a commission split with another broker and that is how Andrew was compensated during our second transaction. He actively searched for and researched potential vessels. He was very patient with my intrusive efforts to point him at boats I found - including some in California. We eventually bought a US flagged boat that was listed in Canada. Although my wife would swear there is no “next time”, I will use him again when it is time to downsize in a couple years.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:

Don't know where this is coming from.

Been in the business almost 2 decades, and it's very common practice for a buyer to contact a broker to find them their desired vessel, and to work with whoever the seller is (either another brokerage/dealership or inhouse) to facilitate all aspects of the transaction. Compensation is made in the contract, and is usually a commission split.

So, he is a buyer's representative or broker.

Most buyers want to own a boat, and don't know the first thing about purchasing one other that the financial transaction. This is where the expert comes in.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #15

To close this thread, I wanted to thank everyone who responded and replied via the thread directly and thru PM's.

Because of this forum, I was fortunate to find a good experienced broker who is now helping me in my boat search. I will provide an update when we final purchase the new boat.

Cheers All
Old 02-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #16

Update---New Boat

Just to update everyone ...I have a contract on a very nice 90's trawler and I will have a survey (boat and engine) with sea trial and engine review after all scheduled for next week.

I'm hopeful about the survey, as the boat was just sold in 2017 and the prior surveyor listed the boat in excellent condition with no major issues or concerns. We are obviously still doing our survey, but the boat still looks to be in very good shape given its age.

The broker recommendation from this thread helped a lot--mostly to eliminate other boats from contention as many local brokers all talk to each other and many will share true details regarding condition---that insight was priceless.

I will post pics in a new thread once the purchase is officially completed.

Cheers