Longest nonstop passage on a powerboat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
One of our TF brethren has mentioned OCC - Offshore Cruising Club - a few times. OCC is a loose collection of cruisers who's only credentials to join is having competed a 1000nm passage nonstop on a vessel (power or sail, though vast majority are sail) under 70-feet.

Just curious, who among us would qualify....on a powerboat?

Peter

One of our TF brethren has mentioned OCC - Offshore Cruising Club - a few times. OCC is a loose collection of cruisers who's only credentials to join is having competed a 1000nm passage nonstop on a vessel (power or sail, though vast majority are sail) under 70-feet.

Just curious, who among us would qualify....on a powerboat?

Peter

Wifey B: Oh that under 70' part....:nonono: We've never had a boat under 70' that had the range. :eek::eek:

Well, we could based on length and range. However I just estimated the run from the bottom end of Long Island to the mouth of Mayport, which is the longest non-stop we would probably do anytime soon, and it is only 584nm.

Ok I'll start: We did about 250 dock to dock from Savannah to cape fear (outside). We did about 300 from Coinjock to cape may (up the chesapeake, overnight). Those are our longest runs I can think of...(outside of work)....

Come on braggerts! Beat that!

Ok I'll start: We did about 250 dock to dock from Savannah to cape fear (outside). We did about 300 from Coinjock to cape may (up the chesapeake, overnight). Those are our longest runs I can think of...(outside of work)....

Come on braggerts! Beat that!

Um, did you read #1?

To qualify you had to do a non-stop of 1000+ nm.

Um, did you read #1?

To qualify you had to do a non-stop of 1000+ nm.

Yes, and I think so few of this group has done that, I figured I'd set the bar lower and see how high it got. :angel::rofl:

Cool stuff.

Sorry, I don't mean people don't go on long trips. For many of us, that's the point of having something more than a center console. I just don't think there are many that do these long (1000 mile +) single hops.

I know I'll be proven wrong. And I'm looking forward to it. Who doesn't love a good sea story.

Maybe I should have just started a different thread "What's your longest passage". Sorry to step on toes. :hide:

Cape may NJ to capetown south Africa

Cool stuff.

Sorry, I don't mean people don't go on long trips. For many of us, that's the point of having something more than a center console. I just don't think there are many that do these long (1000 mile +) single hops.

I know I'll be proven wrong. And I'm looking forward to it. Who doesn't love a good sea story.

Maybe I should have just started a different thread "What's your longest passage". Sorry to step on toes. :hide:

No toe-stepping, was wondering if you wanted to add your post over there.

We ran our boat (documented length is 64', measured LOA is 68'), non-stop (unless sea anchoring at night counts), from Ensenada (checked in there only to clear customs but in a sense our voyage originated in San Diego) to Mag bay where we fished but did not anchor, out to the "ridge" and to the Alejos Rocks, then around Cabo and up to La Paz. With the fishing, it was 1,200 nm total, but as the crow flys (ie, shortest path from Ensenada to La Paz) I believe it is just over 1,000 nm.

Richard on Dauntless has crossed the Atlantic both ways. As I recall Dauntless is a 42 feet Kadey Krogan with a single engine.

Australia to Port Vila on a 48 fter.
About 1300nm the route we took.

This season, 1874 NM so far in 4 months, another 1000 to the canal and then another 1200 to get to Florida, serious thought to hiring a delivery team for that one. Longest non stop was 310 and I hope we dont have to do another of those until after the canal. I still dont have any desire to cross any more oceans, did way too many of those in the Navy.
I realize that it doesn’t meet the requirements of the OP, but come on, that’s still a bunch of miles. Thankfully the tacos and beer aren’t affected by the Covid problems.

This season, 1874 NM so far in 4 months, another 1000 to the canal and then another 1200 to get to Florida, serious thought to hiring a delivery team for that one. Longest non stop was 310 and I hope we dont have to do another of those until after the canal. I still dont have any desire to cross any more oceans, did way too many of those in the Navy.
I realize that it doesn’t meet the requirements of the OP, but come on, that’s still a bunch of miles. Thankfully the tacos and beer aren’t affected by the Covid problems.
Off you're 1000nms to Panama Canal, guessing you're in the Barra Navidad area. It's on my radar. Was recently a decent thread on SouthboundGroup.

Which route will you take from Panama to Florida? I went straight north taking skirting west end of Cuba. Ill rerun the route soon but will avoid that route for two reasons. Piracy concerns off Nicaragua/Honduras, and it's a lousy run to weather. Will do the run to Port Antonio (Jamaica) and around the east end of Cuba, then through the Bahamas.

Wondering what your thinking is?

Peter

Australia to Port Vila on a 48 fter.
About 1300nm the route we took.

What type of boat was that trip done in?

We are thinking in a few years to take our 58’ from the east coast to Vanuatu.

We did an offshore non-stop delivery of our new (to us) 1999 Selene 47 from Ft. Lauderdale to Warren, RI in 2006. Technically, we did stop (anchored) for a few hours 2x to fix a small leak and to change an oil filter, and we anchored overnight in thick fog at Block Island before completing the last few miles to our dock. We ran 7 days, motored 1,160nm, 157hr., burned 450 gallons diesel, 4 qt of oil, and averaged 2.58nm/gallon and 2.87 gph. It was a great trip in mostly decent weather until we got solid fogged all the way from NJ to RI. The beer tasted really good at the end!

Part of it if I recall is open ocean. Long coastal don’t apply. I’m an OCC member having qualified many times over. Thinking is different when outside SAR helicopter range and not being fast enough to always be able to escape weather. That doesn’t usually apply when doing even long coastal hops. Offshore is often considered to be off the continental shelf as wave behavior changes. Near shore means within 200 nm of a landfall to many.

This has no relationship to difficulty. Bay of biscay, Hatteras and the like are near shore/coastal but may be much more problematic than open ocean. There’s a list at the end of Beebes book which is a list of boats that clearly qualify. It’s very interesting telling you form of stabilization, genset use and nm/g . Wide selection of boats. Not just nordhavn. Worth a look see.

From the net
“ Offshore waters means waters that are at least 2 m deep and are not in a waterway or on a foreshore.”
In other words off the continental shelf. Some use it to imply outside any national control but in effect >200nm. Others such as advertising on this site use it in an entirely different meaning much like recreational trawler is used and far from original implications of the phrase.

Will start a thread asking what definitions you are using.

Last edited:
We know some people who did Japan to Hawaii on their Northern Marine. The distance was about 3,700 miles with decent weather for the journey. For non stop that is the furthest I've heard of for a recreational MV.

Part of it if I recall is open ocean. Long coastal don’t apply. I’m an OCC member having qualified many times over. Thinking is different when outside SAR helicopter range and not being fast enough to always be able to escape weather. That doesn’t usually apply when doing even long coastal hops. Offshore is often considered to be off the continental shelf as wave behavior changes. Near shore means within 200 nm of a landfall to many.

This has no relationship to difficulty. Bay of biscay, Hatteras and the like are near shore/coastal but may be much more problematic than open ocean. There’s a list at the end of Beebes book which is a list of boats that clearly qualify. It’s very interesting telling you form of stabilization, genset use and nm/g . Wide selection of boats. Not just nordhavn. Worth a look see.

I purposefully kept the title of the thread a bit vague even though I cited OCC criteria in the body. I was mostly curious about how many people do multiple-days/nights underway on a smallish boat vs Navy/Commercial experience on ships. On most boats, if you have the range and willingness to spend two over-nights, you can cover 500 nms. Opens-up a lot of cruising grounds

I can honestly say I've never considered being within Search & Rescue (SAR) range. Perhaps the opposite - I was once buzzed by a Mexican Navy chopper about 75 miles off their southern Pacific coast, more likely in Guatemalan waters than Mexican. They were close enough that I could see the guy in the open bay door had a mustache. I expected a difficult boarding within a few hours - none materialized, which was a relief.

Being close to land is not always a good thing. In the Caribbean, Nicaragua has been an on/off hotspot for piracy as far out as Providencia almost 100-nms east, a tempting stopover when headed north from Panama. Amazingly, it's within Panga range. Providencia is Colombian territory, a long way from their help and rescue too. It's a bear I wouldn't seek to poke and would give it a wide berth.

Peter

We know some people who did Japan to Hawaii on their Northern Marine. The distance was about 3,700 miles with decent weather for the journey. For non stop that is the furthest I've heard of for a recreational MV.

That's a long run - longest I was familiar with was a Nordhavn (a 40 I think) that went from Acapulco to Marquesas, about 3000 nms. This was over 15 years ago - was an uneventful trip as best I can recall.

I think a couple DDs have done some long passages from China to the US. One of the first Seahorse DD38 did a very long passage singlehanded by a relatively novice skipper. He didn't stop much as he didn't have detailed charts so bypasssed many typical stopover islands.

Peter

Not personal experience but none the less noteworthy. !977 in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Lindbergh flight, Alan Cargile, maker of Cargile Cutters in Nashville, drove one of his 30' twin diesels boats with 1500 gallons of fuel from NYC to Paris, unassisted, non-stop. Something on the order of 3300 miles over 28 days.

Attachments

• 1971 Cargile Cutter Advertising Flyer.jpg
    1971 Cargile Cutter Advertising Flyer.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 46
The two longest passages i've done are in a 47ft ketch I built. The first Holyhead, Wales to Ponta Delgado, Azores 1477nm, And also Ponta Delgado to Hamilton Bermuda,2230nm.
Both passages short handed. Done many other passages of 1000nm and lots of 650nm Ocean racing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom