Long showers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I was going with one of those, it would have to be electric. No gasoline on the boat, and don't want another engine to maintain. More likely that I would have a built in unit.

Ted

That's the one I would choose as well, just run it off of the gen-set at night while we sleep and run the air conditioner.

A lot of sailors use the honda generators, so I think that is who they are targeting, but it seems like it would work great on a trawler as well.

RO is wonderful and proven technology, but it is not without challenges. Among them is the potential for bacterial growth on the membrane(s) and in the produced water since the membrane removes chlorine or whatever disinfectant the supply water contains. Not much of an issue since we're talking about water makers making water from raw water that contains no disinfectant. Point is, unlike city water from a marina which may contain chlorine or chloramines (or other permissible disinfectants), RO water from a water maker doesn't and that means you have to address bacteria growth in the boat distribution system.

For what it's worth, while I'm not yet a boat owner, I have been a water treater for the last 3 decades. The two have interesting junctions.

RO systems also need to be adjusted if used in fresh or brackish water.

I don't want to cast doubt on your range of skills, I would never do that, but my opinion is that you are frightening people here when talking about "deadly" risk and Hydrogen Peroxide "used for rocket fuel". Everything is all a question of how much and what sort, it's all about the right concentration.

Why mild bleach solution is safe and useful for disinfection purposes while chlorine operated as a weapon of mass destruction in World War I (90,000 died plus 1,250,000 injuried per chlorine chemical weapons attacks) and somewhere in the Middle East more recently ? Because everything is a question of balance with the right parameters.

In European Union there are many consulting firms in security technologies of fresh water treatment that promote, as well industrial firms who are manufacturing and exporting, Hydrogen Peroxide products for fresh water disinfection, whose Lenntech company (technical note attached) which credibility and professionalism could not been called into question.

Moreover, the European Directorate General for Health, also the French Ministry of Public Health, both carried out with the assistance of a number of scientific experts, regularly remind State parties, public institutions and private-enterprise bodies of their obligation concerning use of Hydrogen Peroxide products for fresh water disinfection (official document attached), in particular in combating forms of legionella bacteria.

As well, the highly skilled US Food & Drug Administration concludes that the proposed use of the additive (a mixture of silver nitrate and hydrogen peroxide) is safe and the additive will achieve its intended technical effect as an antimicrobial agent under the proposed conditions of use [Federal Register: March 18, 2009 (Volume 74, Number 51), Rules and Regulations].

Therefore, Sir, I am sorry to say that you've misled the people here. Balance, in everything, is the important concept once again.

No not all. The solution mentioned is quite safe. My correction was based on inaccurate data being stated regarding the chemistry aspects. As I noted before, facts matter, even the small ones.

No not all. The solution mentioned is quite safe. My correction was based on inaccurate data being stated regarding the chemistry aspects. As I noted before, facts matter, even the small ones.

I posted : Hydrogen Peroxide... water with an extra oxygen atom.

According to the technical note from LENNTECH CO posted by omc which I underlined in red color below what stated :

The hydrogen peroxide molecule contains one extra oxygen atom, compared to the more stable water molecule.

So, where is the difference ?

Game is over. Back to the interesting thread.

Attachments

• LENNTECH.jpg
    LENNTECH.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 145
Among them is the potential for bacterial growth on the membrane(s) and in the produced water since the membrane removes chlorine or whatever disinfectant the supply water contains.

In reading the instructions in my RO if you introduce chlorine to the membranes they will be destroyed....

We hold 300 gallons and have a water maker (that has only gotten maintenance use). On the loop, we generally filled water every 7-14 days depending on our usage. Most of the loop is also fresh water so we skipped some showers if we swam in the lake or river.
I can't think of any section of the loop, where we did not have access to good water for more than a few days....but I was not worried about it. My wife did wait to use the washing machine for times we were tied to a dock.

I drink bottled water, and add a little bleach when refilling from supply not already chlorinated. Never had a problem, but I wouldn't drink a lot of bleach water.

There are water purification tablets you can buy to sterilize for drinking.

I too like long showers, but my cruising area has lots of free shore water to refill with.

In reading the instructions in my RO if you introduce chlorine to the membranes they will be destroyed....

Membranes come in a few different types; some are chlorine compatible and some are not. Makes sense that water maker makers would select membranes which are not compatible with chlorine since the water we boat in contains virtually no chlorine.

Rest assured though, that some RO membranes are quite compatible with the concentration of chlorine (and other disinfectants) commonly found in potable water.

Back
Top Bottom