Lobster Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not really, the hulls of new working lobster boats have evolved somewhat and many have some pretty good sized engines. 30 knots isn't out of the question anymore for some working men's lobster boats (unloaded of course).

Not sure there is such a thing as "a new working lobster boat". At least not around here. lol

Deep vee lobster boat! Good one. Pure hogwash.

Not hogwash at all IMO.
If ligit he’s prolly referring to a “built down” lobster boat hull. Sort of a wineglass form. Much the same as a “deep vee” but w curved and concave lines.

Not sure there is such a thing as "a new working lobster boat". At least not around here. lol

A friends son (both ME lobtermen) just built a custom boat last year with a huge engine in it. Boat cost over $1M for a 40 something footer.

Not hogwash at all IMO.
If ligit he’s prolly referring to a “built down” lobster boat hull. Sort of a wineglass form. Much the same as a “deep vee” but w curved and concave lines.

Shouldn't be writing boating articles if he mixed the two up.

A friends son (both ME lobtermen) just built a custom boat last year with a huge engine in it. Boat cost over $1M for a 40 something footer.

Good for them, I'm impressed. I just wonder how many lbs of lobster (wholesale) it takes to pay off a $1M including expenses. That's a lot of traps to haul!

Good for them, I'm impressed. I just wonder how many lbs of lobster (wholesale) it takes to pay off a $1M including expenses. That's a lot of traps to haul!

They do haul a lot of traps.

Also, not all commercial fishermen make all their money just hauling pots. In fact, many watermen do quite a few jobs including different fisheries.

I was amazed when I was told they just toss stone crabs back much of the time. I haven't found if they are the same crab as Florida ones as nicknames for seafood in 2 different regions can be the same for different species and can drive a person nuts.

I spent some time in a small fishermen village in Cape Breton, NS. Believe me I was surprised to see how much money was flowing there. No external sign except for few of them having amazing houses but a lot of money was made. Licenses were limited and worth a lot. Season duration was limited to few weeks but that was enough for the best ones to make many millions.

L

There is NFW this is a lobster boat. I've lived in ME for years. We overpower certain boats for the annual "lobster boat" races, but none of them look like this!
Kiwi Pierre from Just So, Long Nook, MA

Definitely a fair-weather boat, and not for lobstering. Best for making large wakes around recreational trawlers.

The boat is perfectly set up for harvesting Italian lobsters, such as lobster tagliatelle, or lobster fra diavolo. The twin Volvo IPS are handy for rapid, effortless hoisting-in of Italian lobster traps, enabling the crew to handle two traps simultaneously. The resulting efficiency allows crew members more time for marlinspike tasks, such as lashing down the sunbathing cushions with authentic turks heads woven in striking pastel shades.

After a season of fishing, the owner of this sleek but salty workboat should have driven his per-unit costs down to about $5K per Italian lobster.

Lobsterig is like all commercial fishing.

When the catch is large , the price is low , when pickings are slim , the price is higher , but the catch is small.

"Designed by Hinckley's Bruce King"? Bruce King doesn't work for Hickley, but he has designed some of their boats, most notably the picnic boat.

"The 48 also has good directional stability in following seas, according to the company." According to the company, what a surprise. So there was no sea trial associated with this "virtual" advertorial, er I mean review?

"Victory Design also has a background in lobster boats; it designed all of the Marquis vessels for the Ferretti Group." This might explain it, have you looked at a Marquis lately?

"The boat should cruise efficiently at 10 to 14 knots in displacement mode..." Should?

The article is written by Bill Sisson's daughter. The elder Sisson was the editor of Soundings and Soundings Trade Only for many years, and a skilled journalist. Soundings is owned by AIM, AIM owns P&MY. She started as an editorial intern at P&MY in 2017, so not a huge amount of editorial experience, and to be fair, she was given an assignment to write about this boat, which she did. Again, the editing is the issue.

As is the case in so many of today's boating magazines, editing is scant or absent, often because the editor is now doing his or her job, as well as the jobs of three other positions that have been eliminated (including a technical editor, who should/would have caught the "lobster boat" terminology), because making a profit in print is becoming increasingly difficult, and because the usually unholy relationship between editorial and advertising is more intertwined than ever, hence the advertorial nature of this article.

If you look back at the content of boating magazines in the 60s and 70s they are almost scholarly when compared those of today. Here's a good example I came across a few weeks ago, it caught my attention... https://www.kadeykrogen.com/articles/pages/Krogen54designprobe.htm

Steve D'Antonio wrote, "If you look back at the content of boating magazines in the 60s and 70s they are almost scholarly when compared those of today."

Man, isn't that the truth. I miss boating journalism, which seems to have disappeared altogether. Why that should be so is a mystery, given that the recreational boating market has exploded in size and economic value.

Steve D'Antonio wrote, "If you look back at the content of boating magazines in the 60s and 70s they are almost scholarly when compared those of today."

Man, isn't that the truth. I miss boating journalism, which seems to have disappeared altogether. Why that should be so is a mystery, given that the recreational boating market has exploded in size and economic value.

From late 50's through mid 70's my eyes were often glued onto reading marine magazines, reports and other "boatie" type prints. From that point phases in my life drew me into and onto other sectors of exitance; so that I was not so closely aligned with the sea-world of life. Then... in 1984 I moved to SF area. Immediately I got back into marine doings. One thing I noticed was the greatly reduced quality of marine magazines... in general. By the late 90's they became a joke [IMO] - compared to their content in the 50's, 60's, 70's. Since then I really don't pay much attention to marine periodicals.

A lobster boat in offshore Maine/East Canada needs to be seaworthy & comfortable in weather. Cheers/Len

A new N.S. boat on it's way :

Reactions: Art
Lobster Boat Design/Build!

Once you punch to open the video - Be sure to punch "Watch This Video on YouTube... to see video

Last edited:
Now that qualifies as a lobster boat!

Now that qualifies as a lobster boat!

Into Penobscot Bay: In 2004 and 2006 we spread the ashes of dad and then mom off of a cruise boat out of Camden Maine [a true ol' time lobster boat]. Same as the boats I occasionally helped pull lobster pots on in the early 1970's.

I really appreciate Lobster Boats!

https://www.camdenharborcruises.com/

Back
Top Bottom