Live Your Life - In Fact Grab It By The Gizzards!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.... I realize I got a leg up on most folks by being born at the right time and having the right parents. Seriously most of my success can be attributed to luck-- I happened to be in the right place at the right time, and I made a few good decisions. That's it.....
Maybe, but there is a saying" the harder(or smarter/better)I work the luckier I get".
Another saying is that we make our own luck. Again I have my doubts,I think much of it comes back to our own efforts.
Yet another saying, mine actually: " If there is something you want to do or have, and within reason you can afford it, do it".

True, it's a combination of luck/good fortune and hard work. If you wait around on the couch all day trying to get lucky and successful that's probably not going to happen.

But I still think luck or good fortune explains most of it. For instance, if I was born into a poor family in India, and put in the same amount of effort, would I still be retired and own a boat? Doubtful.

Last edited:
Some people take what little bit of luck comes their way and turn it into as much success as they can. Others take what little bit of luck comes their way and piss it away, for whatever reason. No one succeeds ONLY on luck, and no one succeeds without ANY luck.

Regardless of that, I think the point of this thread is (or, at least, SHOULD be!) that happiness in life is not something to put off until some later day. The John Lennon quote hits the nail on the head. Whether your bank account runs into seven figures, or only contains $7, matters much less than what you make of it. Some people can be happy with practically nothing, and others refuse to be happy despite having everything. Being one of the former is a lot better than being one of the latter.

Maybe, but there is a saying" the harder(or smarter/better)I work the luckier I get".
Another saying is that we make our own luck. Again I have my doubts,I think much of it comes back to our own efforts.

There is a lot of truth to both of those.

Another good one; Seek The Positive...

When I was young, I was so poor we only got one hot meal a day....a bowl of steam.

Menzies,

Based on your location and description I'm afraid I may know this couple. I won't post there names nor the boat name, but did they happen to be from Wisconsin?

When I was young, I was so poor we only got one hot meal a day....a bowl of steam.
You were lucky.
We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.
We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out.
When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

No but I'm planning the celebration of life event and settling the affairs for my mother whom passed away from cancer last week. TF makes a semi decent diversion for me right now.

Sorry for you and your friend, one cancer survivor to another. Morgan Freeman said it best in The Shawshank Redemption, "either get busy living or get busy dying."

Great quote.
So sorry for your loss sir.

"What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”
― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

“In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine-and before we know it our lives are gone.”
― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom