Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Why so few Coots?

To my knowledge, only seven have been constructed. I've hull #6 delivered in 2012. Newly-built hull #7 is available for sale in Sausalito, CA.

1. While less costly than most new-builds for its size, there are plenty of suitable used boats for sale costing much less.

2. It lacked a flybridge. Didn't want one but the builder now provides an $11,500 option for one.

3. Only has a single-engine (fine with me), but the hull design and internal volume isn't practical for containing a second engine. Nevertheless, 80-horsepower providing up to hull-speed suits me. Latest model has an engine with 50 percent more power, for whatever that's worth.

3. Doesn't have the internal volume to contain a second head/shower and sleeping cabin. I don't need those amenities and prefer a boat not having a cruise-ship-like appearance and resultant windage.

4. Many want a larger or smaller craft.

5. Most boaters would rather have a plastic boat rather than one built of steel.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,
Most would rather find a cheaper boat. Very few can afford several hundred thousand and there are no old Coots.
Also people like slow .... but not 6 knots. Eight or nine knots is slow to most but 6 is unthinkable. We like it but actually I'd rather go 12. But I can't get the range, seaworthiness and economy I like at 12 knots. So I go 6 like you. Also many prefer the smoother look of a FG or wood boat.

Having said that if I could have any boat on this forum free never to sell and pocket the money it would be your Coot.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Perhaps you should ask George;

"Several years ago Bill Kimley at Seahorse gave me the hull Lines to a 35’ hull he had been building, and invited me to create a version of it. I used this as an opportunity to develop an idea for a boat I’d like to own; something specifically suited for the Pacific Northwest vacation and recreational use. The result, “COOT,” generated a lot of interest but no boats sold. It was simply to short of a hull to carry off the idea I tried to do.

I still wanted to do something along the concept I was thinking of so finally got around to redoing the old COOT idea but this time, changing things to make it work rather than trying to fit things to an existing hull. This boat, the NW Cruiser 39, really pleases me. While the DUCKS are outrageous long range cruisers, this boat is an idea that has great appeal to because not all of us are able to actually take the time to travel to distant exotic places. And for those of us in this “boat,” the NW CRUISER should give lots of pleasure."

NW Cruiser 39
Old 07-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Lack of organization, lack of a marketing plan. Hard to even gauge if the market is there. You're not going to do volume without having dealers or brokers promoting product and without having product available to see and walk on at shows and other places. They and Bering are both very interesting boat lines but their US presence is so minimal that very few people even know what they offer.

I don't know for sure whether there is a market or not and don't think we will ever know. Steel isn't mainstream for boats that size. Steel isn't mainstream for trawlers. You need someone or some people out there showing the potential buyers the advantages. It still wouldn't take over the market from fiberglass but it might have it's buyers. Just following a few of the owners like Mark would get some people interested.

Direct sales of a generally unknown line of boats from a Chinese factory just isn't a very good business model. There's one Coot to see in Sausalito. No other Seahorse product available for viewing and walking.

It's a plan that will sell a boat or two a year and perhaps the same in other markets. Not a plan that will ever build volume.

Boat shows are important, although outrageously expensive. They're hard for low volume companies to justify, they without presence at them, low volume companies are going to stay low volume.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That's a very interesting boat and, IMO, a perfect comparison, Murray. It's got the Coot lines and footprint with a whole different philosophy for its intended use. No mast or sails, a small but usable cockpit with aft helm, comfortable pilot house with seating and a lick of speed with that efficiency.

I still think the windows should be larger for its intended market, the PNW. The Coot is more sailboatish with limited view in that you step down into the salo(o)n like one does on a sailboat. It makes perfect sense for its intended purpose - crossing oceans. It's hard to tell, but this one might be similar. Bigger windows would play well in California boating, too.

I'd probably be able to make good use of a little larger cockpit, too.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:16 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There is a market for a "couple`s boat", maybe it is not well exploited in terms of sales by Coot, but it exists nevertheless. Why have a bigger boat if you don`t need one, costs of ownership and maintenance usually rise with size, and handling can be more demanding.
I drive a car which is a low volume brand, with the model itself even lower volume. But it is a good car. Volume of sales is not everything, though it will likely limit resale if the brand and model is relatively unknown. But we don`t buy boats to resell (although eventual resale is a proper consideration), we buy them to enjoy because they suit our particular requirements. If they achieve that, they satisfy our purpose.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There is a market for a "couple`s boat", maybe it is not well exploited in terms of sales by Coot, but it exists nevertheless. Why have a bigger boat if you don`t need one, costs of ownership and maintenance usually rise with size, and handling can be more demanding.
I drive a car which is a low volume brand, with the model itself even lower volume. But it is a good car. Volume of sales is not everything, though it will likely limit resale if the brand and model is relatively unknown. But we don`t buy boats to resell (although eventual resale is a proper consideration), we buy them to enjoy because they suit our particular requirements. If they achieve that, they satisfy our purpose.
All the "Tug" builders target and do well in the couple's boat arena. They all have a much bigger presence in the US than Seahorse, plus their buyer understands fiberglass and Seahorse would have to effectively market their boat and it's material.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While the market has changed over the last ten years, I think a very large percentage of small boat buyers weren't interested in the long build time. It was expected if you were having a large boat or very expensive boat built. Part of the sale process is the perception of building. If the builder says, "We have two in process and the next available build slot starts in August", there is an assumption of acceptance and demand for the product. If the perception is that the boat is an infrequent build with little demand, I would think there could be a lot of second thoughts with potential buyers.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #9
FF
Guru

An ocean worthy boat is very expensive and not 1 in 100 is interested in making the required compromises.

6K or so is still about 150 miles per day , probably 50+ MPD faster than sail , with more boat up in the view , rather than down in the hull.

Why so few? not much market , even at 1/3 the price.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The PNW is rife with metal vessels in the 35 foot range - made of course with Al. Fishing machines, water taxis, pleasure craft, work boats you name it. It is an established build material with established brand names and reputable builders.

I've a friend with an Al 42' trawler with a single JD and an all day fuel efficient cruise speed of about 9 1/2 knots. Frustrating as hell to attempt to cruise our vessel along with him to and in AK as he is too fast. They are now approaching 30 trips from WA to SE AK.

So for new Coots comparisons, do as previously mentioned. Locate an equally priced but much bigger N46, DeFever, North Pacific or ? Bottom line as already mentioned, there are so many good choices when 300 to 400K is your price range, a new Coot or larger used Seahorse being one.

A much better business or marketing plan will not help the Coot line. Buyers in this use, price and size range are quite sophisticated and business savvy and know what is out there. At least the dozens if not hundreds that I know.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Other than the masts, which I would delete in favor of a flying bridge, I personally really like what I've seen from the dozens of pics Mark had posted. But the issue to me is speed. For a weekend and vacation time cruising couple, time is at a premium to get to prime destinations and back. This may explain why apparently Mark has yet to wander very far on his boat yet (like up into the further reaches of the Delta, or up or down the coast). So SeaRay type boats, faster fishing-oriented vessels and what I term as day-sailers seem to dominate this size range. For extended cruising for those with unlimited time and no hurry, I'd probably go with a Krogen Manatee, the most spacious boat I've seen in that length that a lot of cruisers have lived on full time. But you don't see any more of those made either. Next would be something like the Mainship 350/390 series, some of which can get up and go with twins if you like (we've run both the single and twin flavors); and you don't see much being built like that either these days. Ditto very nice boats like the GB 36 Classics or Monk 36.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'd like that 39 but it's wannbe windows look stupid.
I like a smaller boat too. Coot

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Master and Commander

Mast and sails are an extra-cost option.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
Guru

City: gulf coast
I wonder how many people will want to buy and old coot.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #15

In the PNW it would appear that there are not that many people wanting to buy a Coot! At least the 2011 Coot which has been for sale in Anacorteas for the past 4 years (approx.).

2011 Seahorse Coot 35 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Craig Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
From a traditionalists point of view there are really only two choices of boat construction materials; wood or steel.I like to compare those two materials to brick and stone in buildings, and GRP to concrete and PVC in modern commercial structures.

When I think steel I think of the iconic cruise liners, right down to little cute Dutch sailing barges and Tajks, not forgetting the pretty tugs fishing trawlers and work boats.

To my way of thinking GRP boats are replicas of the genuine article; pastiches in plastic. Rather like comparing genuine teak wooden furniture to cheap patio plastic tables and chairs.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Tomash View Post
In the PNW it would appear that there are not that many people wanting to buy a Coot! At least the 2011 Coot which has been for sale in Anacorteas for the past 4 years (approx.).

2011 Seahorse Coot 35 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
That boat (hull # 5) was built in 2011. It has been on the market for about one year.

Believe the asking price is too high. They're asking for about the original purchase price, excluding shipping.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
Master and Commander

On the Coot, women tend to socialize in the saloon while men prefer the pilothouse.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Cruising boats generally seem to come in two flavors.

A. Faster than displacement speed boats designed for coastal cruising.

B. Displacement speed boats designed to cross oceans.

The Coot, while a very interesting and IMO a nice loking boat, does not fit into either of these two generally accepted categories.

It is slow, so it has limited appeal to people that are not retired. It cannot cross oceans so it has no appeal to folks that want an expedition class boat.

This makes it a tough sell, even if it was marketed effectivly, which it is not.

I like the boat, I like the lines, but from a target market point of view, the boat is only marketable to someone that has tons of time on their hands, and no desire to cross oceans.

You can say the same thing about many of the older Taiwan Trawlers out there. Great boats, but there are reasons they do not make full displacement boats that are not ocean crossing capable anymore.

Full displacement power boats are marketed as a dream of world exploration, even if most never actually do that. They have the capability so the dream lives in the buyers and prospective buyers.

Planing and semi planing boats are marketed as get away from it all vehicles. Get in the boat, get away from it all, and be back to work. They offer the speed so that somebody with limited free time can get away and enjoy.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Cruising boats generally seem to come in two flavors.

A. Faster than displacement speed boats designed for coastal cruising.

B. Displacement speed boats designed to cross oceans.

The Coot, while a very interesting and IMO a nice loking boat, does not fit into either of these two generally accepted categories.

It is slow, so it has limited appeal to people that are not retired. It cannot cross oceans so it has no appeal to folks that want an expedition class boat.

This makes it a tough sell, even if it was marketed effectivly, which it is not.

I like the boat, I like the lines, but from a target market point of view, the boat is only marketable to someone that has tons of time on their hands, and no desire to cross oceans.

You can say the same thing about many of the older Taiwan Trawlers out there. Great boats, but there are reasons they do not make full displacement boats that are not ocean crossing capable anymore.

Full displacement power boats are marketed as a dream of world exploration, even if most never actually do that. They have the capability so the dream lives in the buyers and prospective buyers.
Following that logic, why does anyone confined to weekend cruising buy a monohull sailboat? Clearly there are tens of thousands of people content to travel at or below hull speed. Think this is more about marketing or lack there of.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote