Line cutter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shaft Shark

Have a Shaft Shark that has been tested at least once in Maine. Now have a prop cage which really makes it redundant. Best thing we ever did and now don’t even worry where the floats are. Offshore of Mt. Desert Island out to 15 nm on a calm day, the floats look like confetti at a wedding. Throw a 1’ chop in and it’s just a matter of time before you will snag a pot.

I was interested in a cutter until I talked with my diver last time he scrubbed my hull. He said he’s disentangled just as many with some cutter device as he has without. Discouraging to me as he is an honest guy.

Effective, cheap, diver install

F2780A19-C6FC-4F46-9778-A55F8432BE86.jpg

Mechanic turned me on to this. His fishermen friends were using it. Built to also be a sacrificial anode, you can make it last much longer by painting the zinc part.

Best part, the price.

One big thing about those line cutter / anode combos is that they're thick. I took a quick look at them, but they won't physically fit between the prop hub and strut on my boat, let alone leave clearance for water flow through the cutlass bearing.

+1 for Spurrs

They have worked for me in two different incidents 3/4" line and about half that in the second case.

R

View attachment 137405

Mechanic turned me on to this. His fishermen friends were using it. Built to also be a sacrificial anode, you can make it last much longer by painting the zinc part.

Best part, the price.

I had those for one season. Wrapped a lobster trap line and the line destroyed the device. No impressed...

I had those for one season. Wrapped a lobster trap line and the line destroyed the device. No impressed...
Sometimes they are effective, sometimes they are not, but, one thing is certain, without a cutter you will have a problem. With a cutter, you may not.

I had looked at those before I purchased a shaft shark and found a number of reviews that said the were flimsy. It's probably better than nothing at all, but if you want/need a line cutter, why skimp? Many things for boats are expensive but you usually get what you pay for. Whatever boating issue you are looking to solve, the cheapest option generally should not be your choice.

I might just warn you guys if you cruise Downeast Maine with cutters you could feel the wrath of loberstermen. They don’t like cutters chopping their gear and more than once a boat owner has found some unfortunate consequences. Parts of Nova Scotia I’m told are even more hostile.

Rick

If the Maine lobster guys and gals don't like them they should stop using them their selves.
They used to use cages but cages rob speed, cost fuel.
They've figured out that spurs are more cost effective.
Best policy is to pay attention if you want to avoid the wrath of a fisherman.
BTW, if you snag one and need help, they will be there for you. They are by and large a noble group of people.

One big thing about those line cutter / anode combos is that they're thick. I took a quick look at them, but they won't physically fit between the prop hub and strut on my boat, let alone leave clearance for water flow through the cutlass bearing.

They make a thinner model. https://anodeshack.com/zinc-salca-micro-limited-line-cutter-anode

The blade doesn't look as sharp or strong as the expensive ones. But since it is 10x less expensive, one could spend a few minutes to sharpen it. Once sharp, it might reduce the stress on it when cutting through the line. I'm still not sure I'd have enough room for even the thinner model.

They make a thinner model. https://anodeshack.com/zinc-salca-micro-limited-line-cutter-anode

The blade doesn't look as sharp or strong as the expensive ones. But since it is 10x less expensive, one could spend a few minutes to sharpen it. Once sharp, it might reduce the stress on it when cutting through the line. I'm still not sure I'd have enough room for even the thinner model.

I've slung two of them off. Not worth the effort to install. And my boat is kept in a lift. First one actually cut a line but did not survive the event. Second one just parted company with the shaft.

If the Maine lobster guys and gals don't like them they should stop using them their selves.
BTW, if you snag one and need help, they will be there for you. They are by and large a noble group of people.

My daughter used to date a NH lobster fisherman and I know a bunch of them in my marina. "Noble" is not a word I'd use to describe them... There are a lot of substance abusers and guys that can't hold regular jobs in the lobster fishing ranks in my area. Many look and behave like they are living lobster to lobster.

My daughter used to date a NH lobster fisherman and I know a bunch of them in my marina. "Noble" is not a word I'd use to describe them... There are a lot of substance abusers and guys that can't hold regular jobs in the lobster fishing ranks in my area. Many look and behave like they are living lobster to lobster.

As evidenced by the number of pots in narrow channels lobsterman do not give a s**t about putting boats in danger that results from snagging one and becoming disabled.

In fact I stopped cruising Maine because, amongst other things, of lobster pots. As pretty as Maine is the stress of pots everywhere is just not worth it.

As evidenced by the number of pots in narrow channels lobsterman do not give a s**t about putting boats in danger that results from snagging one and becoming disabled.

In fact I stopped cruising Maine because, amongst other things, of lobster pots. As pretty as Maine is the stress of pots everywhere is just not worth it.

Money trumps all, and the authorities would seem to be unwilling to challenge the almighty lobster economy. Just look at the national news anytime the fishery complains. For my part, I don't eat the "bugs."

Well said. If you call out a mayday in Maine the first responders will most likely be lobster boats. Truly a noble group of men and women that look after other seafarers.

I've slung two of them off. Not worth the effort to install. And my boat is kept in a lift. First one actually cut a line but did not survive the event. Second one just parted company with the shaft.

I just bought one and had sufficient room to install. As I suspected, the "sprocket" is stamped stainless sheet metal, meaning that it has sharp feeling 90 degree edges instead of a sharpened knife edge. A few minutes with the chain saw file and it is actually sharp enough to draw blood during installation. 100% improvement is hopefully enough to keep it on the shaft.

The only time I've tangled my prop was by backing over my dinghy painter. Hopefully this line cutter won't get tested that way.

Attachments

• 100_0115.jpg
    100_0115.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 17
I just bought one and had sufficient room to install. As I suspected, the "sprocket" is stamped stainless sheet metal, meaning that it has sharp feeling 90 degree edges instead of a sharpened knife edge. A few minutes with the chain saw file and it is actually sharp enough to draw blood during installation. 100% improvement is hopefully enough to keep it on the shaft.

The only time I've tangled my prop was by backing over my dinghy painter. Hopefully this line cutter won't get tested that way.

It will last as long as the zinc.

I recently replaced a Spurs that was rubbing on my stern tube? underway. Also needed an anode somewhere (it’s a single) so thought for a second about the inexpensive anode/cutter combo. I asked Nordlund if it would just fall off when zinc failed they said yes so I said no. Might be ok if you stay right on top of it but if it’s predictably weakened with time it might not survive an encounter with a big line.
Got the shark, or one like it. Main teeth perpendicular to the shaft, plus a second set facing forward parallel to the shaft. Still thinner fore and aft than the spurs, and much simpler. If my shaft moves enough tho those forward facing teeth are gonna be a big mistake. So far so good. Can’t say if it works; Haven’t got tangled that I know of. Early days tho.
Got a “dunce cap” or bullet anode too.

Last edited:
I had Spurs and never had a problem. I know it cut a line at least once. That said I’ve never heard anything bad about the other brands on the market. I think they are a great idea. They will pay for themselves if they save you one trip over the side with a dull steak knife!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom