Like trawlers, not the 1960 interiors.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acheron2010

Vessel Name
Saoirse
Vessel Make
1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
In my quest for a trawler, I like the Grand Banks, Nordic and American Tugs, but having a hard time with their 1950 parquet floors and 1960's interior style. I am leaning more towards the interiors of a Beneteau Swift or the Hanse sailboats - clean, modern, round corners, simple.
Does anyone make such a trawler? Has anyone gutted a GB and upgraded it with modern furnishings?

Modern furnishings: those that will be obsolete soon.

I like modern interior for the look, it looks slick, nice, up to date and the light is nice. BUT often (I say often and not always so don't mind me) it looks very nice but at the same time material looks really cheap. Plywood is useful and has its place, but... it is plywood, and not as noble as plain mahogany or maple or padouk or buginga or cocobolo etc etc...
I like the modern look of boats but I feel that sometimes, modern shiny look is just to make us forget the cheap material it is made of.
Just a thought :)

L.

Pictures needed, I'm reworking my interior now. I don't want to mess it up

I agree regarding the 1960s look.

The simple fact is we have learned an awful lot about building boat since the 1960s. Materials have changed and gotten better and styles have a course changed since the 1960s and 70s.

Where you look at a lot of older boats and they look like they were built with the cabinets kind of put there on the newer boat often times they have molded fiberglass and they look like they're more 'built in'.

Last edited:
Pardon my french but interior for Hanse or Beneteau boat are completely crap... I would like to know how's gonna look in 30 or 40 years like the simple Herresford style..
Now... I love simple, modern lines like wallys... quality is totally different...

Acheron I totally agree. Grand Banks were my childhood dream, and when I visited one for sale last summer I was disgusted by the dated interior. That's a personal thing of course, but interior renovations are easy to do yourself, so if you like the quality of the boat just rip out and replace.

It seems you want a boat that's a traditional style on the outside but modern on the inside. You could buy a traditional boat and redo the inside but it's going to look pretty weird. You mention parquet floors and I agree, those are dated and to me, ugly, but if you are a bit handy and skilled with tools, you can replace the floors with teak and holly and have a floor that's both modern and traditional.

Other interior surfaces can be updated as well but ripping out the entire interior and redoing it would be difficult and costly and probably hurt the value of the boat in most people's eyes.

Traditional furnishings: those that already are obsolete.

Or we can think of them as "classic".

I furnished my home in Queen Anne style furniture. It will never go out of style. As I think back to the "modern" furniture that my parents had in the 1960s, you wouldn't be able to give that stuff away today.

So I'm thinking the OP wants a boat that's a Grand Banks on the outside and a Sea Ray on the inside. :rolleyes:

Greetings,
Mr. 2010. I think the old saw that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is the case here. Whilst I do not know IF there is any boat that would fit your criteria, keep in mind that every boat is a compromise to some extent.

We have a parquet floor and while a teak and holly floor might be more attractive, the parquet is quite acceptable in our case. It badly needs refinishing but that's quite a ways down on the "to do list". Would we rip it out and replace with teak and holly? Probably not. There are several other items that need addressing before that happens.

OUR particular decorating tastes at home are more to the Scandinavian styles which some may consider stark but it is to OUR taste. With all due respect Mr. WK, Queen Anne style reminds me of a brothel. So, each to his/her own.

I wouldn't be too concerned about resale value unless you're planning some seriously weird customizations. If you trade boats for profit that's another story. However if you're truly paranoid about resale then you might want to just stick your money in a CD at 1% interest and skip the boat thing altogether.

I have the teak and holly floors. they are really beautiful and I am happy with them, however, the entire boat was teak when I bought it. I am in the process of redecorating and eventually refitting the salon. For now, I did some cool removable wallpaper and "smart tiles" in the galley. I have brightened all areas up with bedding, pillows, curtains, etc.

One of my greatest joys has been making it my own. I over looked the asthetics and made sure it was in great mechanical condition.

Or we can think of them as "classic".

I furnished my home in Queen Anne style furniture. It will never go out of style. As I think back to the "modern" furniture that my parents had in the 1960s, you wouldn't be able to give that stuff away today.

So I'm thinking the OP wants a boat that's a Grand Banks on the outside and a Sea Ray on the inside. :rolleyes:

Thats funny.. that " modern that you wouldn't be able to give away" is worth way more than it was originally!.

There is a big move to back to modern in design circles.. I don't personally care for it in boats .. but i love it in homes

Truly good design is timeless.. such as GB, Concordia etc, but not everyone likes it.

To the OP, find the right boat add the touches that make it yours and enjoy

Hollywood

Here in Europe prevalent in modern interior design in new boats. I think it would be ok, but unfortunately, the materials are of poor quality and difficult to see what kind of mainte these are, after 10-20 years of use vs real wood. many boat here in laminate floors and bulkhead walls, floors nitisevät and the edges are broken, a new beautiful, but ...

the true thing is that today's modern trend is from Skandinaviska 1970s interior architecture of residential buildings, whether it is therefore modern or retro if you know this history. I like The classical itself, because it never fashionable or old-fashioned. Material, color, airiness and large windows give the feeling you are one with nature

Being biased as all get out, having been aboard Tollycraft boats [and of course, because we own a 1977 and luv it!]... I opt for comfortable, truly sturdy, and open space oriented interior builds that do not wear out.

Our 34' tri cabin, 40 yr old Tolly interior has same walls, hinges, latches, cabinets, counters, doors, headliners etc from orig build. All in great working order and good condition. :thumb:

Attachments

• Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
    Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Port Rear Salon.jpg
    Port Rear Salon.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Mstr Strm Head - Lower Rear w-Toilet.jpg
    Mstr Strm Head - Lower Rear w-Toilet.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Stbd Rear Salon w-Mstr Strm Door Open.jpg
    Stbd Rear Salon w-Mstr Strm Door Open.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Close Up Fwd Strm.jpg
    Close Up Fwd Strm.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Fwd Head Low Portion.jpg
    Fwd Head Low Portion.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 179
Greetings,
Mr. 2010. I think the old saw that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is the case here. Whilst I do not know IF there is any boat that would fit your criteria, keep in mind that every boat is a compromise to some extent.

We have a parquet floor and while a teak and holly floor might be more attractive, the parquet is quite acceptable in our case. It badly needs refinishing but that's quite a ways down on the "to do list". Would we rip it out and replace with teak and holly? Probably not. There are several other items that need addressing before that happens.

OUR particular decorating tastes at home are more to the Scandinavian styles which some may consider stark but it is to OUR taste. With all due respect Mr. WK, Queen Anne style reminds me of a brothel. So, each to his/her own.

Never underestimate Brothel decor! :lol: :popcorn:

We should be done here in about a month , then we can start on your new interior.

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpg
    IMG_2750.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 123
............ With all due respect Mr. WK, Queen Anne style reminds me of a brothel. So, each to his/her own.

Think of a funeral home. I even have the grandfather clock in the corner. ;)

I've never been in a brothel so I wouldn't know. Other than meals, drinks, child support and alimony, I've never had to pay for sex. :eek:

Keep looking! There apparently was a lot of variation in design and construction even by the same builder, the same label-sticker-on-er. I've seen pics of GBs with original parquet as well as T&H. Ditto lots of others. There's a wide variation in fussy detail; some folks must have liked the fiddles with turned spindles and the turned posts. Some must have preferred bulky cabinet door frames and the wicker panels.

Nearly all of these boats have plywood panels covering large areas or comprising cabinet components. But there is variation in how cheap the panels look; it's a matter of the cut of the veneer. (I think the ubiquitous quarter-sliced Teak looks cheaper than the rarer flat-sliced Teak or other species.) And it's a matter of how the panels are trimmed at the edges. Well-done trim protects the edges while the sleek trim-less look of 'modern' boats is both cheaper to do and more susceptible to damage. (I've seen boats at boat shows with untrimmed plywood panels whose edges were already chipped!)

So, keep looking. There are lots of compromises to be made in choosing a boat. For me, the look of the woodwork is very important (I'm a 'woodchuck' and a retired architect.) And the FuHwa we have suits my aesthetic for look and quality of the woodwork. FuHwa was one of three TT builders supplying other nameplates and lots of the wood pieces look the same.

ASD was built in 1988. I was looking around in the cabinets and found the original sales brochure and I was very surprised! The color of our carpet was the same color as in 1988!!! Talk about a need to update! The Admiral went to work researching, looking. The biggest issue was finding someone to actually lay the carpet.

She decided on Shaw marine carpet, tie for the bathroom floors and back splash for around the galley. She did a great job, but it wasn't cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 129
You might look at used Fathom 41 or 43, but there is only one head.
Or you might look at some dutch boats like Elling, though the configuration leans a bit more towards a sailboat in regards to the main saloon being lower in the boat with high windows.
Agreed if you look at Beneteau or anything really that seems more modern, just do some research and ask if the furniture is solid versus some kind of laminate over press board or whatever... It's also worth comparing resale value of various brands. for example you mentioned American and Nordics; they seem to hold value pretty well. Good luck!

You might look at used Fathom 41 or 43, but there is only one head.

Or you might look at some dutch boats like Elling, though the configuration leans a bit more towards a sailboat in regards to the main saloon being lower in the boat with high windows.

Agreed if you look at Beneteau or anything really that seems more modern, just do some research and ask if the furniture is solid versus some kind of laminate over press board or whatever... It's also worth comparing resale value of various brands. for example you mentioned American and Nordics; they seem to hold value pretty well. Good luck!

I was thinking about the Fathom Element as well. I was in a new one for sale and the interior styling seems to be what the OP is looking for. Not the price however.

Much prefer my boat's interior over the look of a Motel 6 room.

Back when we were looking for a trawler we saw a lot of older boats with teak veneer plywood interiors with water stains and delamination. I didn't know how lucky we were to get a boat without the veneered plywood finish. The fact that we bought our boat was dumb luck is our case. The interior is 1/4" teak on top of 1/2" plywood. There are no water stains in the boat. I am not against the new veneer finishes. I was just on a Hampton 490 that made you feel like you were on a high end cruise ship with all its beautiful wood work from top to bottom.

Attachments

• Aft cabin.jpg
    Aft cabin.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Aft cabin1.jpg
    Aft cabin1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 98
OP, What?! You don't like teak on teak on teak over teak, with teak trim and teak accents, next to teak floors and teak doors, and the occasional piece of "teak stained" oakum plywood modifications because the owner was too cheap for teak veneer plywood :lol:

The interiors of albins and marine traders I looked at while shopping were depressingly dark and were ripe for white paint! But the worst offenders I ran across were a couple of old Hatteras MY. They all had some combination of cream, avocado, and burnt orange appliances/carpet/laminate counter tops/wallpaper :ermm:

Nothing says "buy me" like getting the feeling you are walking into your grandmas house :angel:

Back
Top Bottom