Lightest weight dinghy with steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Shopping for a dinghy with steering. Small is ok, like 9 or 10 feet, but want a steering wheel and a bimini top. Perhaps a 15 hp motor.

What's out there thats super light?

I was trying to find one that could fit on my flybridge. In have a weight limit of 275 pounds. Once you factor in fuel, battery, etc, I was over 300.

Would be awesome if there were a light weight aluminum dinghy with console. I think the problem is the lightweight aluminum dinghys do not have flat floors.

You really need to be in the 10-11'+ range for a console to make sense otherwise the console takes up most of the space and there is nowhere for people to sit.

I dont see the value of a bimini on a small dinghy. Its going to act as a sale/friction slowing you down and you are not going to want tom hang on a small dinghy.

We are looking at Inmar aluminium series and North Atlantic Inflatables as possibilities, though without the console steering, as we are looking at boats in the 12 ft range, and need to keep weight down.
Inmar R380AL at 4700 in hypalon, NAI 12 ft, a bit wider, at 4000, also hypalon.
JohnS

I was trying to find one that could fit on my flybridge. In have a weight limit of 275 pounds. Once you factor in fuel, battery, etc, I was over 300.

Would be awesome if there were a light weight aluminum dinghy with console. I think the problem is the lightweight aluminum dinghys do not have flat floors.

You really need to be in the 10-11'+ range for a console to make sense otherwise the console takes up most of the space and there is nowhere for people to sit.

I dont see the value of a bimini on a small dinghy. Its going to act as a sale/friction slowing you down and you are not going to want tom hang on a small dinghy.

My limit is 350 pounds and I could live with 10' to 11' (14' beam). Only need seating for two.

Bimini is a must in FL heat. Heck, I have a bimini on my kayak and love it!

I have a double hull fiberglass RIB that has a flat floor. It's an Achilles 10.4" no console.
A 15 hp 2 stroke is awesome power for it.
The hull is 160 lb, the engine is 80 lbs, 6 gallon tank and anchor, etc totals about 280 lb.
A 15 hp 4 stroke will add about 40 lbs which will be close to your limit.
But then you need a console.

Go to the Defender web site they have all the specs of what thy carry, can give you an idea what you're looking at.

I have a double hull fiberglass RIB that has a flat floor. It's an Achilles 10.4" no console.
A 15 hp 2 stroke is awesome power for it.
The hull is 160 lb, the engine is 80 lbs, 6 gallon tank and anchor, etc totals about 280 lb.
A 15 hp 4 stroke will add about 40 lbs which will be close to your limit.
But then you need a console.

Go to the Defender web site they have all the specs of what thy carry, can give you an idea what you're looking at.

Ah... Defender, great idea! Thx

My limit is 350 pounds and I could live with 10' to 11' (14' beam). Only need seating for two.

Bimini is a must in FL heat. Heck, I have a bimini on my kayak and love it!

We have a Walker Bay Genesis 310FTD (folding transom, "deluxe") RIB... some kind of plastic, not fiberglass, internal floor, weighs I think 135-lbs bare. Rated for 15-hp.

Our outboard (Suzuki DF-15A, fuel injected, battery start) adds another 107-lbs. At the time, it was about the lightest 15/20-HP available, although I then chose the battery-start model which brought ours up to 107. (And then there's the additional weight of the battery, not huge.)

Walker Bay makes a console version of that dinghy, but I don't remember the weight; info probably on their website. Rated for 20-hp, so the DF-20A could be a choice. I think all that would still be within your weight limit.

(I still consider adding the console to be an option for our RIB; I'd keep the DF-15A and just re-rig for console control.)

Not a recommendation, just factoids for your consideration.

When I was shopping for all that, another options was a bare stainless helm station made by St. Croix at the time. According to WB at the time, that couldn't be fitted to the 310FTD... although that may have really meant they didn't want to undercut sales of their own console. I don't know if St. Croix still makes that helm assembly, but it could be something to look at for other RIBs.

-Chris

AB "Lammina" 10 AL - 10' 6" aluminum hull - 117 LBS
Add optional steering console - 33 Lbs
Add optional bench seat w/ storage - 48 lbs
Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke - 111 lbs.

Total weight 309

This is essentially a lighter weight "Alumina" model without the step pads, running lights, fold down cleats, etc.

I have the above described dinghy except I wanted a fuel injected engine - so 25 hp Yamaha. Yamaha now makes a 20hp injected engine. It is a detuned 25, weighs the same as the 25.

Miss Rachel and ranger42c,

Both excellent options, thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom