JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
RE: Life's Uncertain Drink the Wine Now

Quote:
bobofthenorth wrote:

1. I'm no wine snob but I doubt that most people could really tell the difference between a bottled and boxed wine of similar quality in a true double blind taste test.**

2.*For most wine snobs much (if not most)*of the wine experience is in the packaging.*
*The first statement*may be*true.* The problem is that one runs out of wines to test after you run through the boxes because there are no great wines in boxes.* If you have never had a truly good or great wine you may not know the difference.* Which is just fine.

As for the second statement.* Cricket Pee tastes like Cricket Pee no matter how fancy the bottle.* It is true that some folks are misled by the labels but they are also misled by the labels that people have as well.* Just because a label says Reserve on it does not make a bad wine taste any better.

Some people don't see any difference in the tastes and that is just fine.* Some like Miller beer some like Bud and some like Shiner. As do some like Chef Boyardee in a can.* There is no accounting for some peoples tastes.

But if you do like Chef Boyardee, Cricket Pee and do not like Shiner Bock*then I would suggest that you see a good Vet.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Quote:
JD wrote:
bobofthenorth wrote:

1. I'm no wine snob but I doubt that most people could really tell the difference between a bottled and boxed wine of similar quality in a true double blind taste test.**

2.*For most wine snobs much (if not most)*of the wine experience is in the packaging.*
*The first statement*may be*true.* The problem is that one runs out of wines to test after you run through the boxes because there are no great wines in boxes.* If you have never had a truly good or great wine you may not know the difference.* Which is just fine.

As for the second statement.* Cricket Pee tastes like Cricket Pee no matter how fancy the bottle.* It is true that some folks are misled by the labels but they are also misled by the labels that people have as well.* Just because a label says Reserve on it does not make a bad wine taste any better.

Some people don't see any difference in the tastes and that is just fine.* Some like Miller beer some like Bud and some like Shiner. As do some like Chef Boyardee in a can.* There is no accounting for some peoples tastes.

But if you do like Chef Boyardee, Cricket Pee and do not like Shiner Bock*then I would suggest that you see a good Vet.

JD, I'm sure you have a very sophisiticated palate.*

But many guys like you are the kindof guy that Marketers'* have wet dreams about.. . They can put any crap into bottle (wine, perfume), any crap into a box and pitch it as 'luxury' and mark it up 400% , and you would be happy because you are drinking/eating quality.

I'd say a significantly high number of expensive bottled wine drinkers, maybe not you, appreciate the quality because they are told to, that if you were to swap the wine in the bottle they'd not even know, probably happens at some restaurants..
waterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #63
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I like screw-on caps too!
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #64
JD
Guru

Quote:
waterhawk wrote:
1. JD, I'm sure you have a very sophisiticated palate.*

2. But many guys like you are the kindof guy that Marketers'* have wet dreams about.. . They can put any crap into bottle (wine, perfume), any crap into a box and pitch it as 'luxury' and mark it up 400% , and you would be happy because you are drinking/eating quality.

3. I'd say a significantly high number of expensive bottled wine drinkers, maybe not you, appreciate the quality because they are told to, that if you were to swap the wine in the bottle they'd not even know, probably happens at some restaurants..
*1.* No not so much.* I'm not one that tastes Black Berry and a hint of Mint.* There are some tastes that stand out of course.* I seldom drink white wine.* I joke and say that the only time to drink white is when the red is all gone but some time a glass of cold white is OK.* I like heavier reds.* Sangiovese makes for some pretty good wine as do a lot of the wines from Tuscany or the Piedmont region of Italy.* Some of the blends are very good.* I think there are a couple of thinks that have an*effect on the wine you might like.* Drinking wine as a young kid and most of that being home made from Zinfandel Grapes give one a preference for the bolder wines.* Also what was eaten when the wine was drunk effects the parings you may like.* Different wines for different people.

2.* I seldom buy much wine that is over $15 a bottle unless I know the wine or have tasted it at someones house or out to dinner with someone and it is ordered.* I was in CA just at the end of April and we were in Napa so I stopped at a small winery that I visit every time I'm there.* They do not sell outside of CA unless you order direct from them.* We bought a case to ship home and there were some bottles in the case that were in the $40 range. But again I already knew the wine.

3.* I'm not certain how they would be able to change the wine in a bottle.* The bottle is open right at your table after it is presented to you.* If it comes out already open send it back, you don't know what's in that bottle.

One more thing about wine.* It is like cigars somewhat.* There are few cigars that are worth much more then $6-8.* I'm not saying that there aren't any priced over that because there are but $4-6 should get you a nice cigar.* If you know what kind you like, light or dark wrap, where the tobacco is from and where it was made you can almost guess the taste and the quality of the burn.

There are some things that come with age if you paid attention along the way.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #65
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #66
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Al, that sign needs to be changed for you to say "You are entering a Hi-Al area."

HI AL!!

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #67
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Paul Harvey said that if you serve cheese with wine no one can tell the difference in taste.

I don't know. Not a wine snob. *it all taste like wine to me.

Of course red vs white I can tell.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #68
JD
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:Of course red vs white I can tell.
SD
*Red stains stuff when it is spilled.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #69
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Al, that sign needs to be changed for you to say "You are entering a Hi-Al area."

HI AL!!

*Please don't jack with me, Sheriff Woody!* :buggered:* I promise I'll be good.***

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #70
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

A screw top is fine with me as long as no ceremony is expected.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #71
Guru

Life's Uncertain Drink the Wine Now

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
A screw top is fine with me as long as no ceremony is expected.
*Just throw the cap in the camp fire. The no pass rule would be in effect.

Boon's Farm or Mogen David 20/20. Or better yet a bottle of Ripple.

I've got class now.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 03:24:45 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
FlyWright wrote: