Lifepo4 update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TT is spot on per my insurer.
Your insurer is, well, one insurer. Markel, another insurer, does take issue with lithium batteries. The point is, before installing lithium batteries, it would be wise to query your insurer as you have done. I await with great curiosity the issuance of the ABYC recommendations on lithium batteries. I wonder whether what is being done now will conform and, if not, what that might mean insurance-wise and survey-wise going forward. I hope for the folks who have jumped on the lithium bandwagon are not adversely affected. We'll see what we see.

Your insurer is, well, one insurer. Markel, another insurer, does take issue with lithium batteries. The point is, before installing lithium batteries, it would be wise to query your insurer as you have done. I await with great curiosity the issuance of the ABYC recommendations on lithium batteries. I wonder whether what is being done now will conform and, if not, what that might mean insurance-wise and survey-wise going forward. I hope for the folks who have jumped on the lithium bandwagon are not adversely affected. We'll see what we see.

I think most well done power systems will comply, where “well done” means the wiring, fusing, and other installation aspects meet existing standards, and there is a BMS that minimally will disconnect the batteries if temps or voltages exceed the battery manufacturers safe operating conditions, and that chargers are operated within the ranges specified by the MFG. There is more, and I can’t offer any interpretation or assessment on behalf of ABYC. So all this is just my opinion and reading of the spec.

With all the post on going to the Lifepo4s, Im thinking of the same thing.
Looks like the cost of Lifepo4s vs. the AGM is getting pretty close and the cost per amp hour is really close.

Is there ANY reason NOT do do the Lifepo4s?

I'm looking at a single Lithonics Lifepo4 to replace my crappy West Marine 245ah "dual purpose AGMs that won't hold a charge. Love the Lifeline AGMs, but very close in cost now.

Thoughts?
Are you looking at the 320Ah drop-in Lithionics?

Lot more information here:

https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-lifepo4-be-an-educated-consumer/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom