Old 05-25-2022, 08:58 AM   #1

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
Life and Dreams Change, Prairie 29

So after holding on to dreams and ideas of cruising for over ten years, I find that as I sit and am honest with myself, I no longer desire to cruise.

I retired at 50, and moved to the coast of NC to learn boating, learn the waters and be with people with the same desires of cruising and traveling on the water.
I eventually bought a Marine Trader 40 and after some years learning her systems, learning so much on TF and from friends and as a dockhand at a local marina; I felt ready to let go the lines and cruise south.

Then family life happens. My elderly dad, my boating buddy and good friend, got sick and needed me to help him. After he passed, I was needed to take care of mom. So I sold my trawler and put dreams on the shelf and spent the next eight years helping her until she also passed.

Four years ago I bought my Prairie 29 with the continued hope and dreams of cruising after mom no longer needed help. Working on the boat, sitting on the boat, feeling the movement of water under my vessel kept me sane while I had such intense caretaker duties and responsibilities.

My boat is now ready to cruise. But I am no longer ready. I no longer have the desire and confidence to head out by myself and spend weeks by myself.
The years have added up and it seems my desire now is to simply return to my home stomping grounds of western Kentucky and enjoy the lakes there.

So I am going to sell my Prairie 29 (if interested before I actually list her, please contact me at kokopellisail@gmail.com). I am going to move back to western KY and buy a nice houseboat and enjoy the water, maybe do day cruises on a smaller boat.

I am surprised at the passage of years and the changes of heart, life, dreams. I have learned not to hold on to the dreams of the younger man I was; but to live to the dreams and desires of this older man and see what happens next.

TF has been a true education and place of camaraderie for me through these years and I shall continue with TF, just not as a person who knows he shall do the bigger cruises. But I shall have a boat in my life and still explore, maybe just not in the larger realm I originally anticipated.

It is ok. Life changes and dreams change. I've watched other TF boaters have family life intervene and change things. Well, I am now walking that path and shall adapt to dream the dreams and fulfill them where I am now.

So I shall get to western KY in the next few months as I sell my Prairie and find a nice houseboat to live on and still feel the water.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Lake Barkley
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
So sorry to hear of the passing of your parents, and subsequent loss of your desire to cruise. I am a brown water boater that resides on Lake Barkley near Eddyville. These lakes and rivers are intriguing to me still. I grew up in Louisville (lots of fun on the Ohio) but with parents from Paducah and Benton. My fathers father always had a boat, usually a Chris Craft in the thirty foot range. This is our second home on the lakes, having lived on Big Bear Creek on the Kentucky Lake side previously. We are on Cumberland mile 49 1/2 just downstream from the Commerce Landing marker. Welcome home!
Fr8dog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliTim View Post
So after holding on to dreams and ideas of cruising for over ten years, I find that as I sit and am honest with myself, I no longer desire to cruise.

I retired at 50, and moved to the coast of NC to learn boating, learn the waters and be with people with the same desires of cruising and traveling on the water.
I eventually bought a Marine Trader 40 and after some years learning her systems, learning so much on TF and from friends and as a dockhand at a local marina; I felt ready to let go the lines and cruise south.

Then family life happens. My elderly dad, my boating buddy and good friend, got sick and needed me to help him. After he passed, I was needed to take care of mom. So I sold my trawler and put dreams on the shelf and spent the next eight years helping her until she also passed.

Four years ago I bought my Prairie 29 with the continued hope and dreams of cruising after mom no longer needed help. Working on the boat, sitting on the boat, feeling the movement of water under my vessel kept me sane while I had such intense caretaker duties and responsibilities.

My boat is now ready to cruise. But I am no longer ready. I no longer have the desire and confidence to head out by myself and spend weeks by myself.
The years have added up and it seems my desire now is to simply return to my home stomping grounds of western Kentucky and enjoy the lakes there.

So I am going to sell my Prairie 29 (if interested before I actually list her, please contact me at kokopellisail@gmail.com). I am going to move back to western KY and buy a nice houseboat and enjoy the water, maybe do day cruises on a smaller boat.

I am surprised at the passage of years and the changes of heart, life, dreams. I have learned not to hold on to the dreams of the younger man I was; but to live to the dreams and desires of this older man and see what happens next.

TF has been a true education and place of camaraderie for me through these years and I shall continue with TF, just not as a person who knows he shall do the bigger cruises. But I shall have a boat in my life and still explore, maybe just not in the larger realm I originally anticipated.

It is ok. Life changes and dreams change. I've watched other TF boaters have family life intervene and change things. Well, I am now walking that path and shall adapt to dream the dreams and fulfill them where I am now.

So I shall get to western KY in the next few months as I sell my Prairie and find a nice houseboat to live on and still feel the water.

Tim
Wifey B: Sorry to hear of the deaths in your family, but applaud you today on admitting to yourself where you stand in life and how you feel now. Life is always changing and far too many live in denial. Your honestly with yourself will allow you to move forward, although to some it may seem backward. Forward can often include paths you've walked before. Sometimes the known and familiar is just preferable to the unknown.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
My wife and I still have all four parents and I'm conscious every day how blessed we are. Good that you have the decisiveness and clarity about it too. Better than forging ahead only to have the nagging feeling you're not enjoying what was (previously) your dream. My youngest graduates from high school in just under five years so we have a five year plan that they take a year off from college, we ship the boat to Duluth and sail away to the outside world. At the same time though, I know they could easily change their minds by then, and it may or may not happen. But for now, we're upgrading and maintaining the boat to handle Lake Superior and the outside world, we'll follow the plan, but we'll see what God and life has in mind in five years. You're right, life and dreams change.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #5
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
"Wifey B: Sorry to hear of the deaths in your family, but applaud you today on admitting to yourself where you stand in life and how you feel now. Life is always changing and far too many live in denial. Your honestly with yourself will allow you to move forward, although to some it may seem backward. Forward can often include paths you've walked before. Sometimes the known and familiar is just preferable to the unknown."
Wifey B expressed my thoughts far better than I would have written. Enjoy doing what makes you feel the best. I also applaud your honesty.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Eileen Quinn and her husband were cruisers on a 35-ish foot sailboat. I believe they were Canadians. She was a talented songwriter of sail-oriented songs and would play pick-up gigs wherever she could.

The tension between family responsibilities and cruising reminded me of one of her songs - "Sailors Daughter." Not a great production, but a decent way to spend 5-minutes

https://youtu.be/ov9mkN2n9YU

No idea what happened to her. Super nice person. TrawlerFest hired her a couple times in Solomons MD in the early 2000s.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
After a few decades, I eventually came to the conclusion that maintaining a GB42 for the occasional month or two long cruise was more work than the actual cruising was worth to me. Cruising was just more work of a different kind. What I really found I enjoy is having a smaller boat to tinker with and which is fast enough for a family outing to the barrier island or fishing - family that has no interest in fishing and could not be accommodated cruising anyway. Life moves on.... There's LOTS here besides cruising; so stick around and tell us about living on the wawa in the lakes.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Life moves on.... There's LOTS here besides cruising; so stick around and tell us about living on the wawa in the lakes.
Yep. Life changes. Fortunately there's a boat for every stage!
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:39 PM   #9

City: Greenville
Vessel Model: Chris-Craft '69 41' Roamer alum
I think its a good plan...except....the part about selling your present boat. Kentucky Lake and LBL simply cannot be beat in my opinion.

Excellent cruising upstream on the Tennessee and Cumberland.....and downstream, just one close lock and you're on the Ohio.....so, its a snap to plan a cool trip upstream to Pittsburg....or downstream a half day and you're on the Miss....so why not do the upper Miss to St. Croix/Minneapolis.

Your present boat is perfect! I keep my second boat, a 32' Stamas, year round at a marina on Ky Lake for these type travels or to just hang there as well.

Good Luck!!
Crux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
I’ll second that. Seems like a Prairie 29 is ideal for the inland lakes and America’s big rivers. Preserves options for life’s next curve ball too.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #11

City: Elgin
Vessel Name: m/v "Ramble On"
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 34
"Kentucky Lake and LBL simply cannot be beaten in my opinion." - Crux

I have cruised the entirety of the Tennessee River and Tombigbee, as well as much of the Cumberland River. I think this heartland cruising is often overlooked and in late spring and the entire Fall is absolutely wonderful.

Good luck with new dreams.
Captain DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #12

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
I agree with those who say your Prairie 29 would be a great boat for the inland waters. In the last 5 years we have done the upper Mississippi to the Illinois, plus Navigable St. Croix, Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers in a 25' Pilot House C Dory.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Finale
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF246 Custom Pilothouse 2000
Tim, I know where your coming from and I’m beginning to get to the same place in boating. Something smaller, and easy to deal with. The simplicity of inland freshwater lake boating. Make it easy on yourself, everything doesn’t have to be a challenge.
Best of luck
newbernbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Living on the water...a houseboat is ideal...thus the name. More room makes living easier....maybe not so much maintenNce, but boat style can.

Some are decent for cruising too, but the OP as I read it, wants to sit and enjoy the water....not cruise so keeling a smaller boat makes NO sense to me with 16 years liveaboard exlerience on 3 different and different style boats.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #15

City: Central Tennessee
Vessel Name: boatless
So I cashed the check for the Prairie today. I'm boatless; haven't been like this in many years.

I feel free to step forward and dream different amazing dreams again.
I will spend the next few weeks traveling and also looking at houseboat possibilities for the future.

Sad? No indeed
Happy? Not that I sold the boat for she treated me well and fulfilled dreams.
Ready? To step forward and see what is around the next bend in the rivers.

WE never know where the currents of this life shall take us.

Lets find out.

Tim
kokopelliTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Best wishes Tim, I look forward to seeing what you find for a houseboat.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
So I cashed the check for the Prairie today. I'm boatless; haven't been like this in many years.

I will spend the next few weeks traveling and also looking at houseboat possibilities for the future.

Sad? No indeed

Lets find out.

Tim
Best Wishes to you, Tim - it was so great getting to know you earlier. With an attitude, self-awareness, and honesty like yours, I am certain you will be happy with whatever comes your way!

Now don't you dare leave us without pictures of your new "abode"!!!!

Very Best,
Ray
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: West coast
Best wishes!
You were thoughtful and decisive.
I wish you the best!
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

Sad? No indeed

Lets find out.

Tim
Wifey B: We love the TN and Cumberland rivers and houseboats are so much a part of that while side by side you have family runabouts. Both are geared to family and just shear enjoyment of the water, some of the most beautiful waters you'll ever see. Prior to us ever experiencing the ocean, our dream retirement was on those waters. We loved our small NC lake but when we first experienced the river, it was an entire new world opening up to us.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote