Lewmar windlass solenoids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tachyon

Veteran Member
Our Lewmar solenoid failed soon after we purchased our 2003 boat in 2008. The new*replacement failed mid-way through 2009. The same failure mode both times.........the male "spade" connectors for the*coil windings*break off where they are molded thru the bakelite (?) case. The first failure was inside the case, the second outside. No evidence of overheating*or corrosion, but the material (phosphor/bronze? beryllium copper?) of the spade appears totally black at the break point.* I've*recovered both units by constructing new feed-throughs using machine screws and nuts to hold the spades. Anyone else had or seen this issue? The Lewmar reps. at the Toronto boat show had never heard of it.....or weren't telling.

Nick

I just replaced my old simpson lawrence Horizon with a nearly identical stainless steel Lewmar Pro/Fish 1000, (I think Lewmar bought Simpson Lawrence), and the Lewmar solenoid is old, coroded, but the terminals have not broken off, the new solenoid is a bit different in design, but I've only just installed it. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Sounds like possible vibration fatigue. Ensure the solenoid is securely mounted on a surface isolated from vibration.

FlyWright wrote:
Sounds like possible vibration fatigue. Ensure the solenoid is securely mounted on a surface isolated from vibration.
*Yes, after the first failure I also thought about that as a cause so I taped all the external wiring to the solenoid case for support. It still failed. I'm wondering about some sort of metallurgical change in the spade material when it is molded into the case.....that's the feeling I get looking at the break, that this is caused by a*flaw in the metal itself.

Nick

tachyon wrote:
*Yes, after the first failure I also thought about that as a cause so I taped all the external wiring to the solenoid case for support. It still failed. I'm wondering about some sort of metallurgical change in the spade material when it is molded into the case.....that's the feeling I get looking at the break, that this is caused by a*flaw in the metal itself.

Nick

Nick: *Thought I'd include this photo of the old Simpson Lawrence solenoid next to the one that came with the new Lewmar 1000 Pro-Fish unit. *When I got a look at this, I opted to clean-up the old one and see how well it would do with the new unit. *I also left the old switch at the helm. *So far, everything works as the old one. *If you look close, you can see that the solenoids are identical in design, but with immense differences in size, weight, and post diameter, but with each wire going to exactly the same terminal in the same location, including the three blade-type connectors on the top of the solenoid. *I dunno.....maybe Lewmar would *tell me that it's a mistake, but after hearing about your problem, I mean what the heck....if I have to do it later, I've got the solenoid in the drawer. *For sure, I am not worried about the contact bolt breaking off. *I just cleaned it, shot it up with some Corrosion Block, and put it back together just like it was another Simpson Lawrence replacement. *Despite the illusion that I'm holding the Simpson Lawrence unit closer to the camera, they units really are sitting next to one another. *I wonder what the cost savings were here?

-- Edited by healhustler on Sunday 24th of April 2011 11:39:07 AM

Attachments

• solenoid comparison.jpg
    solenoid comparison.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 222
Thanks for that comparative photo. Guess which one I'd rather have!
A lot of people say this failure must be due to excess current......I can't see how that can be, the coil wires that are soldered directly to the spade inside the case are minute by comparison.
So hang on to your Simpson Lawrence.......they just don't makem like that anymore!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom