Lewmar joy stick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Nob

Vessel Name
Family Tides II
Vessel Make
1991 32’ Island Gypsy
I have a bow thruster one works, the other doesn’t . I can’t find a dealer that can give me a replacement/updated # mine is model 559002 TW switch panels.
Wonder if anyone has had this problem

I had one of that model fail in the "port on" mode. I don't think they are made anymore because of frequent failure rates, and I doubt anyone has any old stock at this point. I thinks searches would yield previous threads/posts about this on various boating forums. Sorry to have to tell you....

The Lewmar solution is a "Generation 2" joystick which needs a seperate converter module to be purchased, for an additional cost of about the same amount as the gen 2 joystick cost. A complete ripoff as both items would be unlikely to cost more than 10 bucks to make. I'm pretty annoyed about it, but will refrain from giving my frank & honest opinion here.

What I purchased was #589268 (joystick) and #589842 (converter for gen 1 thruster to gen 2 controller). The solution works perfectly, but is too expensive IMO

Last edited:
If you need to change, I'd change AWAY from Lewmar. I don't know if it's always been junk, but everything I've had of theirs on my boat has been junk and been replaced by something else. I know a repair yard that had literally several pallets stacked with Lewmar hatches, mostly off of brand new boats, all of which leaked. All of mine leaked - both the originals and replacements. The solution was to replace with Manship hatches.

If you need to change, I'd change AWAY from Lewmar. I don't know if it's always been junk, but everything I've had of theirs on my boat has been junk and been replaced by something else. I know a repair yard that had literally several pallets stacked with Lewmar hatches, mostly off of brand new boats, all of which leaked. All of mine leaked - both the originals and replacements. The solution was to replace with Manship hatches.

None of my 10 Lewmar hatches leak. I did relens and reseal at the 17 year mark. But they may be sensitive to non planar decks.
We were on the dirty side of the early June tropical storm. Not a drop passed thru a dogged hatch.

We have 2008 vintage Lewmar thrusters and so far they seem to be working well. But this weekend our stern station controller went non-operative. The pilot house and flybridge controls both work. Upon removal it Looks to be all potted in so not sure what failed. I will follow this thread for more info.

Back
Top Bottom