Letting Go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife and I are in a position to sell our home, buy a boat and spend 2-3 years cruising without using our life savings or what we have invested. Our boat budget is 200-250K and another 150-200K for a small condo for when we get tired. Without unexpected expenses we can afford to spend 3-4K per month for expected expenses. On paper we can do it but my problem is letting go of everything I am use to having. Has anyone been through this besides me?

When we moved aboard, we knew it would not be forever (was about four years); so we simply stored everything in such a way that we could easily access anything we wanted from our household in adjoining storage lockers.

I like the table saw end table idea. I could let go of the tools if I could buy a boat close enough to make the changes I want closer to home. Unfortunately my choices are 800-1000 miles away. Maybe we could hole up long enough for me to take a job in a cabinet shop. Carrying the tools to fix things is easy... Carrying the tools to build things is more complicated!

Living aboard full time

First of all let me say that you are in for a new life style! We are currently full time live aboard, but first let me give you a little bit of our back ground. We have been owner of trawlers for the past 14 years and many smaller boats for a decade or so before that. Our experience has been extensively in the PNW from South Central Alaska to the south end of Puget Sound, including five times crossing the Gulf of Alaska for a total of about 25000 miles. Our current boat is a Kadey Krogen 42, home ported in La Conner, Washington. This past season we cruised a fair amount but nothing like previous years due to a construction project on land that we are working on, we only ran about 200 hours this year. There are several factors that you should seriously consider, you will be living very close to the elements. You want a boat that you can move around comfortably in with real chairs and a decent table to enjoy your meals on! One things that we really like about the KK42 is that we have a large fully inclosed cockpit with large comfy patio chairs along with a table and a good bbq. But most important you absolutely need a very good heating system, it’s damp and cool on the water! A couple of observations that we’ve found is that you want a boat with good visibility to give you light and enjoy the views thru. A very good system to easily put on nearly any boat would be solar panels to augment your battery’s, cheap and easy. This past season we gained nearly 200K watts with ours. Allowing us to stay on the hook for extended time. We have cruised several times for up to six months between Alaska and Puget Sound, always on the move. This year we’ve spent way to much time plugged into a dock, personally I’d much rather run around the waterways and drop the hook than being on a dock.

Attachments

• 78818CE8-2A58-4170-94D8-8861B37575A4.jpg
    78818CE8-2A58-4170-94D8-8861B37575A4.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 41
Forget about power tools, work with hand tools, everything will fit in a small chest you can used to sit on and you will be able to use them even if your batteries are flat dead and you won't wake up your neighbours :)

L

Put every tool and spare part that you can think of on your boat!

Forget about power tools, work with hand tools, everything will fit in a small chest you can used to sit on and you will be able to use them even if your batteries are flat dead and you won't wake up your neighbours :)

L

240v power tools don't need batteries and neighbours? I came out here to get away from neighbours.

We "sold everything, and took off for 4 years full time cruising two times. The first time was when we were in early 40's. We kept a 10' x 10' x 10' storage, Unit, and kept some furniture, we let trusted friends take care of.

We had no trouble doing this--sold house with one week escrow--and the buyer let us stay in his condo while we sorted things out--and were ready to leave.

We were going to extend to 6 years, but my father died, and mother was blind, so we came back on schedule. We had the plan to work for 8 more years and get our kids thru college and grad school before retirement and second 4 year cruise.

We bought a new house, and sold it with furniture, shortly before we were ready to leave for the second 4 to 5 year cruise. We kept only very special items; photos, and a few pieces of good furniture. What we had would fit in a 16 x 8 x 6 foot trailer.

We had all new systems and gear on each of the boats. There were a few unexpected repairs. We ate at "native" eateries, lived pretty much on local economy, stayed away from "Tourist" places. One item not always considered is medical care--you want some insurance, or at least an evacuation policy back to the USA. We did all of our own maintenance, and understood the systems, since we installed all of them.

Your plan sounds very do-able to me. I probably would put less into the boat, but it depends on your cruising plans. Consider the re-sale of the boat. Consider if the boat is the "tool" you want for the voyages you want to make. In our case it was long distance ocean crossings, from the tropics to the arctic. So we outfitted the boats accordingly.

Do a lot of "homework" both on selection of boat and systems, as well as routes, weather, sociology of the areas, risks, and make a realistic plan.

We can plan to cruise forever but, we should also plan to be tied to the dock when we can no longer cruise.
We have learned to be comfortable with the warmth and closeness of our boat's interior environment.
If I had to do it all over, I would have bought a larger boat, 2 staterooms, 2 heads. I didnt, dont want to start over so, what I have is more than adequate until I can no longer get on and off the boat.

My suggestion is to rent your house while cruising. Your real estate will increase in value faster than your boat. When health or age tell you to go back on land you will have an asset that has kept up with the cost of living rather than using all your savings to reacquire a home. If you want to relocate or downsize sell your home and buy another. Although you may want to move back in it for a few years as a primary residence to avoid capitol gains. This said from a Realtor and a cruiser.

You will have to pay taxes on the rent received. That could throw you into the next tax bracket. Of course, with a good CPA you may be able to write off some depreciation on the furniture etc and still get the property tax write off.
Of course, if you get crappy renters, you might be totally screwed.

My suggestion is to rent your house while cruising. Your real estate will increase in value faster than your boat. When health or age tell you to go back on land you will have an asset that has kept up with the cost of living rather than using all your savings to reacquire a home. If you want to relocate or downsize sell your home and buy another. Although you may want to move back in it for a few years as a primary residence to avoid capitol gains. This said from a Realtor and a cruiser.

My wife and I are empty-nesters in a big house and are going to downsize our house regardless; and we don't want the responsibility of maintaining a house while we cruise full-time. We have some lake-access property in a nice neighborhood where we have been planning to build a retirement home. Our plan is to sell the big house, bank the proceeds, and cruise until we get tired of cruising, then build a reasonably-sized house on the property we own. The property is also reasonably close to Casco Bay in Maine, so we could keep the boat too, if we want to.

We live in NH, and will be keeping NH residence status while we cruise (we will keep a slip in Hampton, NH). This is really the best of both worlds for us since NH has no income tax but high property taxes. We won't be paying any property tax or state income tax. Those two taxes add up to double what we expect to pay for maintenance and repair on the boat.

We have some friends that have 23 acres of wooded land nearby where we live (and keep the boat) right now. They are into lots of "big-stuff" hobbies like tractor pulling, Clydesdale horses, snowmobiling, motorcycling, etc. and have a ton of outbuildings and steel shipping containers hidden on the property. They have offered to let us put a shipping container or two in the woods indefinitely, so once we buy said container(s), storing stuff we want to keep will be free and secure.

My house was involved in a fire a month ago and we lost about 90% of our belongings only due to the sludge created by soot, ash, water and all the falling debris when the roof caved in.... just didn’t want to clean it all- all this after me wondering if I could/would ever do a gigantic garage sale. It’s amazing actually how freeing this all was.... let it go.... ;-)

One thing that I believe, and others will argue with, is get a boat large enough that you will have enough room to be comfortable. There needs to be room aboard so that each of you can have some space. There will be times you want that separation. If you don’t have enough room, you won’t be happy. With your resources you will be able to afford a reasonable size boat. Also you will probably want to have company at times and if you are crawling over each other it won’t be fun.

I agree - go big enough to not feel like you're camping or jammed up against each other! We sold everything we could in 1994 and gave away everything else to move aboard a 42' ketch and go cruising. We headed for the Bahamas for a 1 year "Try It" cruise. Ended up going back up to Annapolis to outfit the boat for the creature comforts we missed and headed down to the Caribbean. That was in 1995. In 2000 we sold the sailboat and bought MOJO, a 50' Beebe designed trawler www.mvmojo.com. On the sailboat, there was no place where I could take more than four steps without having to twist, turn, duck or stoop! No so with the trawler. We were full time live-aboard cruisers until 2006. Since then, we've been cruising 6 months of the year and living in a house in Florida 6 months of the year. But, for 12 years we lived aboard full time and we're still aboard 6 months of the year now. Age is creeping up on us so that will end at some point in the not too distant future but it's been a hell of a ride! Just make sure you get enough space so that the transition doesn't feel like you're camping.

Comodave and Mojo, I agree completely. Although how much personal space each of us needs is certainly subjective, I've come to the conclusion time and again that 50ft is the minimum to be considered truly comfortable, both as a floating home and at sea in the big stuff.

I remember my big 65 footer that I had. It was too big back when I was single, but nowadays as a family man, it would be perfect! And I don't find that the difference in maintenance and moorage costs are much higher than with a 50 ft, especially if you cruise a lot and aren't just sitting at a dock.

16 years ago we sold our home and moved onto a PT35 Overseas Sundeck. No storage unit. Nothing in anyone’s garage (except one box of spare boat engine parts lol) and one vehicle apiece. Not one regret - except for the fact that we couldn’t actually go cruising yet because we were still working. We both still love living on “Morning Mist” and still believe it was one of the best decisions we ever made.

Comodave and Mojo, I agree completely. Although how much personal space each of us needs is certainly subjective, I've come to the conclusion time and again that 50ft is the minimum to be considered truly comfortable, both as a floating home and at sea in the big stuff.

I remember my big 65 footer that I had. It was too big back when I was single, but nowadays as a family man, it would be perfect! .
Agree 100%
. And I don't find that the difference in maintenance and moorage costs are much higher than with a 50 ft, especially if you cruise a lot and aren't just sitting at a dock

In this part of the world it'll cost near $2000/mth as a live aboard in a marina on a boat that size.
Having one comfortable enough to cruise continually and anchor out saves around $22,000 a year.
The big boat effectively pays for itself ;)

Back
Top Bottom