Let's play a game.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Cormorant

Vessel Name
Cormorant
Vessel Make
Seahorse Marine Coot
Let us say you have 500K burning a hole in your pocket. You want to liveaboard and cruise up and down the West Coast. The plan is, summers in PNW and winters in Mexico. What would you buy?

The rules:

1. It has to be a boat for sale today.

2. It has to be less then 50ft.

3. It has to be 500K or less.

It blows your size limit, but Fleming 53. Very cool boats and real quality.

For the west coast, I'd want something solid, heavy, slow, and with round chines. A bluewater boat. Something like this Kadey Krogen 39, or this Nordhavn 46.

My boat! It’s currently for sale for $499,900!!!

My boat! It’s currently for sale for $499,900!!!

Oh yeah, I don't know how I forgot that. Mine is too! But Steve's boat is way overpriced. I'll sell you mine for $475k.

That sounds like an exciting plan. If I had 500K for a liveaboard adventure up and down the West Coast, I'd consider a sailboat like a well-maintained Beneteau Oceanis 45. They offer comfort, size, and excellent cruising capabilities, perfect for the PNW summers and Mexican winters. Plus, they're often available within that budget range. Happy sailing!

Let us say you have 500K burning a hole in your pocket. You want to liveaboard and cruise up and down the West Coast. The plan is, summers in PNW and winters in Mexico. What would you buy?

The rules:

First thing I would change is from west coast to east coast. There are so many more places to explore on the east coast than the west coast. I have done both and IMO the east coast is just a lot more fun.

I'm getting me a Nordic Tug 42!!

Attachments

• Nord42.jpg
    Nord42.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 5
I wonder what I picked 5 years ago, the listing is no longer available. I bet it was something fast.

First thing I would change is from west coast to east coast. There are so many more places to explore on the east coast than the west coast. I have done both and IMO the east coast is just a lot more fun.
Can I assume you've only spent 5-10 full summers on the west coast as quick drive bys and you prefer crowds?

I have done both and IMO the east coast is just a lot more fun.

I've done both and would disagree - but it does depend on what you deem as fun.

If you are intent in repeat trips from Puget Sound to Mexico, you definitely want stabilizers.

I take it you've never cruised the Inside Passage from Tacoma to Glacier Bay?Or if you're up to it head to Anchorage? But serious boating skills and the right boat are needed.

East Coast? Then comes the hurricane season locations and sky high insurance to be in those areas.

Last edited:
Having had all the west coast cruising I want, I would want something that cruises at 15 knots to get it over with fast.

Can I assume you've only spent 5-10 full summers on the west coast as quick drive bys and you prefer crowds?

No, we lived in Tucson for 30 years and did a lot of boating on the west coast including every mile from Canada to Mexico.

The East Coast has a lot to offer and many cool places to visit.

I have never boated in the PNW but it sure looks amazing up there. We have a 10 day charter booked for early 2024 and the Princess Louisa inlet that we are looking forward to.

Regarding the SoCal/Central Coast; if one is into ocean sports (free diving, paddling, fishing, etc) nothing beats the Channel Islands for year round enjoyment IMO. The water is often warm well into October and after that a 3 mil full suit is enough to keep going through winter. But 9 out of 10 boaters don't leave their boat and enter the water, hence the usual comments about west coast boating. After being on TF for awhile, I realize most people on this forum stay inside the boat and don't like getting wet. To each their own, but keep in mind people are into boating for various reasons. It's all good, as long as you are having fun. OTW, its way too expensive to be in this game and time to buy an RV.

The rules:

The problem is that you only gave half the budget and the other half of the budget matters greatly.

I could dream up something like a Hatteras 55 or 65 LRC if, the cruising boat budget is healthy, say 25% of the initial purchase price yearly.

If the cruising budget is tight, then I would be looking for something much newer and much smaller where the cruising boat budget is 10% or less of the initial purchase price per year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom