Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Let me help you sell your boat!!!

I find it amazing how unattentive and incompetent many brokers are when it comes to presenting your boat for sale.* The image below is from a broker in Portland, OR who is marketing a Pilgrim 40.* You would think that someone in their office would review the photos and maybe think about what they show.* It would be almost impossible to get my wife to go view a boat with a filthy toilet.* How hard would it have been to close the lid for gawd sake???
Attached Thumbnails
2261720_7.jpg  
Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Let me help you sell your boat!!!

haha. I have an entire collection of these types of photos! They never cease to amaze me. The one you posted actually isn't too bad- I've got a lot worse!!!! To me it is just being lazy and not taking a few extra moments to think through the proper presentation of the boat. 5 extra minutes can make a world of difference in how a boat will look online.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

oh*my gosh this is SO TRUE.** there were so many boats that looked so bad in the photos that even though the specs sounded good we didn't even bother to go look.* The one we bought had been totally cleaned up and all the PO's personal stuff was removed.* In the photos and in person you saw a clean, inviting boat.* SOLD.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

oh*my gosh this is SO TRUE.** there were so many boats that looked so bad in the photos that even though the specs sounded good we didn't even bother to go look.* The one we bought had been totally cleaned up and all the PO's personal stuff was removed.* In the photos and in person you saw a clean, inviting boat.* SOLD.
right you are Jennifer. In my business I think a cobweb can cost me 5-10 thousand dollars.* Unmaintained properties------forget it they will cause you to lose you a__.

It is stupid not to show a boat or a property at its best.* I have seen both.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
vjm

I am actually surprised that there isn't a greater presence of professional stagers for boats. For just a couple hundred bucks you can get someone to come to your house and tell you what to get out of there and what to change to make it sell for top dollar. A similarly priced option for boats would make a world of difference, not only in final sale price, but time on the market.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Guru

VJM,
I agree- proper staging is critical, both for online presentation AND actual physical showings. It's amazing how much more of a positive impression a boat will make if you take the time to get there before the potential buyer, turn the HVAC on to make sure cabin is comfortable, put some soft mood lighting on, quiet music in the background, etc.
Here some of my favorite pictures....classics in my opinion!! These are lifted right off of yachtworld!I've got tons of these pictures...and the sellers wonder why their boat is still for sale!

The flip side that is equally as damaging is barely having any pictures at all. *do you think you are going to get someone to drive 3 hours or fly across the country to come look at a $500k boat with only 4 pictures online??? *Seriously?

If you are selling, either on your own or via broker, you need to have at least 75-100 pictures of your boat online. *Trust me- pictures will bring a buyer from across the country, no if, ands, or buts about it.
Attached Thumbnails
clutter 1.jpg   clutter 2.jpg   2243626_30.jpg   picture 009.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
vjm

It took me a minute to realize that the engine is not sitting on "grass look" outdoor carpet.

Do you think there is a market for boat "tidiers' and stagers? I am saving up for my first liveaboard, and that sounds like a decent part time job to build the kitty, and snoop around a lot of different layouts at the same time.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

The problem is that some brokers are just one step up from a "tote the note" car lot mentality.* I called one and asked a specific question due to the statement that was on Yacht World.* The statement was different than every other boat of this kind but it was still possible that it was true.* He called me back several days later and said that I was correct and that the boat was in fact the same as all of the others and the statement was the fault of an office clerk that thought it was a power boat and not a trawler.* The last I checked which was at least 5 months since I called the statement was still not corrected.* And no I never wasted my time to go look at that boat.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Here here. One of the boats I looked at several days ago had yellow stuff in the pottie.
It's hard to believe a broker can present 7 pics of a boat and show no pics of the deck, anchor winch, engine, head ect ect. Can't believe the sellers don't find a new broker. I have trouble getting the search system to work. It says "No matches found" or to that effect. Sometimes I look at boats all over the world just to have something to look at.
Woodsong,
I've been looking at a Monk 36. I sorta eliminated all boats w teak decks and the Monk was one left standing. It's equipped like a taxi cab and has some blisters but looks pretty good to me. Ever heard of a M36 capsizing? It looks top heavy in the pictures. Perhaps it's house is low and topsides high so it's average??? What's to watch out for on this boat?
I could mimic Walt and take off the FB.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** GOOD thread!* Yup, ALL the points mentioned thus far are right on.* One of MY beefs is a*lot of boat listings do NOT show the ER/machinery spaces.**A goodly number *of those that do, show tools, fluid containers, rags strewn about, filthy, oily engines and bilges *or the BIG red flag IMHO-Paint overspray on hoses etc. in an effort to do a quick cover up of rusty spots on the equipment.* Hey,*buy the right colored paint and*use a brush and keep up with those spots.
****Momma may be impressed with the clean potty but any neglected maintenance shows up immediatly in the appearence of the mechanicals.
** In MY ongoing mantenance program, the appearance of an engine and mechanical/electrical* "stuff" is as important as it's operating condition.

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Monday 20th of December 2010 05:59:59 PM
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

I can't even imagine how many ads I read on the way to buying Bucky, but I guess it's not exactly a surprise that Bucky had the most gorgeous virtual tour I've ever seen for a used boat. *I made a special point of telling the sellers broker about it, and that even though I was looking for that specific model of boat, it was really the virtual tour that gave me the sense of how the boat felt. *I see lots of virtual tours done so-so, but I figure that if they go to the trouble of doing a Virtual Tour, they're probably going to have it clean too.

Can't believe those photos, Woodsong. *Maybe we ought to start a thread about bad ads, and unbelievable photos.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Woodsong,
I've been looking at a Monk 36. I sorta eliminated all boats w teak decks and the Monk was one left standing. It's equipped like a taxi cab and has some blisters but looks pretty good to me. Ever heard of a M36 capsizing? It looks top heavy in the pictures. Perhaps it's house is low and topsides high so it's average??? What's to watch out for on this boat?
I could mimic Walt and take off the FB.
Eric,

I've never heard of a Monk 36 going turtle! *Mind you, I have not had the boat out in 8' seas or anything yet (just bought back in August as you know), but so far I am impressed with the Monk. *I have crawled all over my boat substantially as she was not lovingly taken care of when I bought her and it was a quick deal and seller exited stage left. From everything i have seen though they are solidly built trawlers on full fiberglass hulls. *I have not piloted a ton of single screw trawlers prior to our Monk so I find the boat extremely responsive and handles well. *I do find her a little "rolly" in a beam sea situation compared to my past boat but my previous boat was heavier and almost a foot and a half more beam on her so not apples to apples. *She is no more rolly than any other 13' beam trawler out there I don't think...just our getting used to a more narrow beam than our last boat. *One thing I can tell you for sure though and part of what sold us so much on her is that the Monk 36 has, in my opinion, an absolutely great layout. *She has 5x's the storage of our previous 38 sedan. *The layout is, I think, among the best to be had in her size class and it is amazing how much boat that was packed into such a small footprint. *In that regard I am completely impressed with her. *Her interior is, in my opinion, very tasteful and pleasing, while at the same time very practical and functional. * I did have to recore my foredeck and bridge deck due to previous owner neglect but that was not too bad and we knew it going into the deal and it was not hard to do and pretty reasonable cost. *I would buy one again and really have only been more impressed with her as I get to know her more. *I think you would be pretty well pleased with a Monk 36.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Guru

I think we should keep this thread going. Here are a couple of other "nice" pictures I found on YW in the past. Lovely, don't you think? *I really like the anchor locker picture. *
I also love the pictures with strange people in them....couple of those attached too. *The guy in red I find particularly interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
2115718_11.jpg   2115718_28.jpg   2243734_3.jpg   2244303_20.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY

Just as bad is a broker who takes the pictures with his cellphone camera (fuzzy small) and uses them for the add. If my broker did that I would fire him on the spot. Yet alot of owners don't see anything wrong with that.
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:The guy in red I find particularly interesting.
*Yeah, looks like a real dummy.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
RickB wrote:

Woodsong wrote:The guy in red I find particularly interesting.
Yeah, looks like a real dummy.

Holy cow I think you're right- it IS a dummy!!! *Ok, that is even WEIRDER!!! *hahaha...what the heck?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

My Biggest Picture Pet Peeve, is "click on picture - make same size - or smaller".* Don't put them in there so small you can't see anything.* When I click on a picture, make it bigger please!!

But then again, a big picture full of crap would be useless...so keep those ones small.*

-- Edited by Besslb on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:51:32 AM
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

I also love the pictures with strange people in them....couple of those attached too. *The guy in red I find particularly interesting.

Woodsong,

In pic 3*I like the look*on the face of the lady sitting down what did she see?
An alien.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Woodsong wrote:
Woodsong,

In pic 3*I like the look*on the face of the lady sitting down what did she see?
An alien.

SD
It looks like she was not expecting anyone to interupt her "cocktail hour" to take photos, that's for sure!* "what the heck??"*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
Guru

hahaha. Y'all post more pics if you have them....they crack me up.

I am pretty disturbed now by the guy in the red shirt. I never looked at it close enough to notice that it is just a mannequin dressed up and placed in the picture (at least that is what he looks like to me now???). Who the bloody heck poses a mannequin in their yachtworld photo shoot???

Since we are talking about marketing materials, I thought you all might enjoy this "classic" marketing video I found online quite some time ago of the hatteras 53:

I like the "stereo sound center."

That video is my friends, is how marketing videos should be done! I SO wish I could get that sound track for some of my marketing materials.