Let me help you sell your boat!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you all crack me up. Marin- Eric's got you on this one I do believe. However.....
That does beg the question though....when exactly does a rope become a line and can a line revert back to a rope? By going to shore for a stern tie, does the line then become a rope? yet it remains attached to or otherwise connected to the transom of the boat, which would make it remain a line.

Can a line be both a rope AND a line AT THE SAME TIME?????

Hatteras have always been fiberglass.

Woodsong wrote:

Can a line be both a rope AND a line AT THE SAME TIME?????
When it's on the spool, it's rope. When it's a designated part of your boat outfitting, it's a line. Final answer.

There is only one rope on a boat.
all others are lines, but you ring the bell with a rope.

When does a rope become a line? When does a thread become hijacked? I think it all happens at about the same time and we are all the better for it.

This is a great site with a lot of great input and that doesn't mean it needs to be directly on point with the thread. Good stuff!!

nomadwilly wrote:

" Come on, it's a rope."

Come on Marin it's a line. Chapman's the bible and it says line.
Chapman's just a guy.* A dead guy at that--- 1871-1976.** His seamanship book is based primarily on articles he wrote for Motor Boating Magazine starting in 1912.* (True, look it up.)* Chapman's is a useful book for beginners, no question-- we bought a copy not long after getting our GB---*but I certainly don't regard it as the last word in boating.* In fact in the twelve-plus years we've been running our GB I haven't found Chapman's to be of much value at all with regards to infomation we actually need to operate our boat.* We've found much quicker and more up to date sources for the information we've had to look up.

P.S.* I know a rope is called a line, but I didn't learn it from Chapman
smile.gif

Keith, after googling and reading wikipedia's entry on rope, i must disagree with you. Here is the wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope
If you scroll towards the bottom of that you will see it's discussion on "line." According to wikipedia, a rope is the manufactured product. Once it is cut, splice, put into a specific purpose, they say it is then a line. So to wikipedia, creation of a specific purpose is what causes a rope to become a line. I think I philosophically agree with that line of reasoning, yet all land people continue to call lines "ropes." It's like they fail the acknowledge the designated purpose of the line and refuse to grant them linehood.

I still think a line can revert back to a rope, much the same way a rope can become a line.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:31:51 PM

Daddyo wrote:

There is a large Hatteras in our marina--- don't know the model but it's at least 50 feet long.* It was featured in one of the local boating magazines awhile back (Nor'westing).**I*don't know the year it was made but as I recall it has a wood hull.* However in searching the web I cannot find any reference to wood-hulled Hatteras boats.* So I dunno....

The wording of the interview I read with*Howard Abbey about his role with Hatteras was just that--- he helped get*Hatteras into fiberglass.* However this may have meant that when Hatteras started up, Abbey was instrumental in helping them with their fiberglass work.* Abbey with a couple of other people were the primary people who got American boatbuilders into fiberglass. As such they were the early "gurus" in this material.* I assumed Hatteras, like American Marine,*had been building in wood prior to getting into fiberglass but this may well not have been the case.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:42:22 PM

koliver wrote:

There is only one rope on a boat.
all others are lines, but you ring the bell with a rope.

But what you refer to as a rope, is not on the boat. It is on the bell, therefore not on the boat.*
ashamed.gif

Marin wrote:---*but I certainly don't regard it as the last word in boating.* In fact in the twelve-plus years we've been running our GB I haven't found Chapman's to be of much value at all with regards to infomation we actually need to operate our boat.*
Now that's a bummer.* I think I'm getting a copy of*the 167th edition of Chapmans for Christmas.* Well maybe I can sit on it to see over the bow.

Budds Outlet wrote:

I think I'm getting a copy of*the 167th edition of Chapmans for Christmas.* Well maybe I can sit on it to see over the bow.
There's a lot of good information in it, don't get me wrong.* But most of it is stuff we already knew or isn't relevant to our boating.* We don't really care or need to know what side of the mast to fly such-and-such a pennant from.* The navigation information we need*is all contained in much smaller, single-subject*government publications, and of course today just about anything you need to know in terms of rules of the road, etc. is on-line.

We found no value in the stuff in Chapman's about maneuvering, for example.* It's so general in nature that virtually none of it applies to our boat in our waters in our currents in our winds.* We learned to maneuver our boat by doing it and talking to people like Carey who has been boating in our waters for years and has given us lots of helpful advice on how to deal with the actual situations we encounter.

Marin wrote:

Daddyo wrote:

There is a large Hatteras in our marina--- don't know the model but it's at least 50 feet long.* It was featured in one of the local boating magazines awhile back (Nor'westing).**I*don't know the year it was made but it's*wood.

Marin,Are you sure about that? *Sure it's not a Trojan or Matthews? *They made a lot of woodies and some look a little like a hatt. *As Daddyo stated, hatt's have always been made out of fiberglass, including the first hatt ever, the Knit Wits.
Hatt history here:
http://www.hatterasyachts.com/Page.aspx/pageId/17850/Milestones.aspx

Great history of hatteras here:
http://media.channelblade.com/EProWebsiteMedia/1024/Making of an Empire.pdf

I just found this ad on Yachtworld http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/Hatteras-Convertible-2106678/Freeport/Bahamas It's a 1978 Hatteras and the hull material is listed as wood.*While this*model looks quite different to the Hatteras that's a couple of docks over from us I believe the year is about the same.* I think the Hatteras near us is an LRC but I could be wrong about that.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:57:45 PM

Marin, that YW ad needs to be included in the "let me help you sell your boat thread." That boat is without a doubt fiberglass, not wood....broker just did not bother to put the correct hull material in the ad. I wonder why he has not sold her! :)
They never built with wood- the entire foundation of hatteras was built upon fiberglass hulls and that is what made them so innovative...everyone else was still building wooden hulls.

Given that this was the only "wood" Hatteras I found on the web, and that the Hatteras boats from before 1978 are all glass I figured the broker made a mistake in the listing. But you never know....

I am posting too much tonight. It seems I suggested you include the "wood" hatteras in the "let me help you sell your boat" thread, not realizing we were discussing it in said thread. I should go to bed.

Marin wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

" Come on, it's a rope."

Come on Marin it's a line. Chapman's the bible and it says line.
Chapman's just a guy.* A dead guy at that--- 1871-1976.** His seamanship book is based primarily on articles he wrote for Motor Boating Magazine starting in 1912. (True, look it up.)* Chapman's is a useful book for beginners, no question-- we bought a copy not long after getting our GB---*but I certainly don't regard it as the last word in boating.* In fact in the twelve-plus years we've been running our GB I haven't found Chapman's to be of much value at all with regards to infomation we actually need to operate our boat.* We've found much quicker and more up to date sources for the information we've had to look up.

P.S.* I know a rope is called a line, but I didn't learn it from Chapman
smile.gif

Yea 1912 but they update it all the time. Why can't you accept something that's stood the test of time. There's no better reference Marin. And as we've discovered in the past there are some issues w it. There's so much good stuff in Chapman's any old salt could'nt possibly keep up w all of it . Anybody can benefit from reading Chapman's book. You love that new stuff like Bristol finish and Rocna anchors but long after both of those are long gone there will be folks using products that have been around for 50 yrs and more***** ...products that have stood the test of time.

Woodsong wrote:I still think a line can revert back to a rope ...
Haven't you guys ever heard of "rope yarn Sunday?"

Back when FF was a cadet sailors would get half the day off on Wednesday to repair their clothes with bits of yarn unraveled from old lines that had become just a piece of rope when they were no longer needed.

Hiya,
** THREE ropes on a boat.* Bell rope, bucket rope and some obscure "rope" way up on the fourth mast of a sailing vessel (can't remember the name).* That info courtesy of Bill Lavis (former destroyer Commander WWII.)*

RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** THREE ropes on a boat.* Bell rope, bucket rope and some obscure "rope" way up on the fourth mast of a sailing vessel (can't remember the name).* That info courtesy of Bill Lavis (former destroyer Commander WWII.)*
Well there will be 4 ropes on a boat*now. with the repeal of DADT, soap on a rope will be mandatory.* This is OTDE.* Isn't it.

Go ahead and delete it, Dougd.

Marin wrote:

Daddyo wrote:

There is a large Hatteras in our marina--- don't know the model but it's at least 50 feet long.* It was featured in one of the local boating magazines awhile back (Nor'westing).**I*don't know the year it was made but as I recall it has a wood hull.* However in searching the web I cannot find any reference to wood-hulled Hatteras boats.* So I dunno....

The wording of the interview I read with*Howard Abbey about his role with Hatteras was just that--- he helped get*Hatteras into fiberglass.* However this may have meant that when Hatteras started up, Abbey was instrumental in helping them with their fiberglass work.* Abbey with a couple of other people were the primary people who got American boatbuilders into fiberglass. As such they were the early "gurus" in this material.* I assumed Hatteras, like American Marine,*had been building in wood prior to getting into fiberglass but this may well not have been the case.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:42:22 PM
Hatteras has always built fiberglass yachts.* The first was a 40' named Knit Wits that was built in 1959.* I have seen the boat.* It was also reacquired by Hatteras*and refurbished.* It was built to hold together while fishing off Cape Hatteras.* The builders were members of the Hatteras Marlin Club--------thus the name.* Jack Hargrave designed it and all the eary Hatterie.* As has been said in the 70's my slip was next to the Hatteras factory slip at Morehead City.* All their factory sportfishing demonstrators were named Hatteraskal and their cruisers were named Laura.* Now you know the rest of the story.

For Rick B., I do know what I am talking about here.* Please excuse that little thingy about MTUs.

Woodsong wrote:

You all have truly taken hijacking a thread to an art form! ;)

confuse.gif
* ROFLMAO

I read all the posts though.* they kind a lost me with the airplane talk, but then the rope / line / yarn stuff got pretty funny.* Even Moonstruck's OTDE comment.*
no.gif

nomadwilly wrote:

*Why can't you accept something that's stood the test of time. ....You love that new stuff like Bristol finish and Rocna anchors but long after both of those are long gone there will be folks using products that have been around for 50 yrs and more
Old stuff sucks.* The only reason to have it is it's either historical (like Chapman"s
smile.gif
)*and so has some sort of sentimental value,*or one can't afford new stuff.* Other than that, old is a waste of time.

I used to say I could never read a book digitally. As an author I thought the e-book concept was evil.* But my wife really wanted an e-reader so I bought her a Kindle for her birthday a few weeks ago*and then promptly took it away from her*for my shoot in Charleston, SC.* I will never buy an actual* book again the rest of my life.* It's like, why didn't they come up with this idea thirty years ago?* Books*are now like*LP records.* They're both dinosaurs in the tar pits and good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Rocna's and Bristol and*other new stuff like that will be long gone someday, but by the time that day comes around, the "products that have been around for 50 years" you talk about*will have long since been relegated to footnotes in history books or Wikipedia.*

Example--- I see fewer and fewer Bruce anchors in our part of the marina.* Boats that I know that have*had Bruces ever since I first saw them some twelve years ago--- including a 50' Nordhavn one dock over---*now have Rocnas or other new-generation anchors.* Ranger Tugs are now delivered with Manson Supremes judging from the brand new one that showed up on our dock recently.* The only boats I notice in our marina with Danforth-type anchors are all extremely old, and most of them appear to be used very little.* Slip queens, in other words.

I dont' have the time or patience to deal with "old" unless I can't afford new, which is the case with our GB.* If we had sufficient funds to spend on boating I'd sink our old GB36 to make a fish habitat out of it and buy a new Fleming or GB41 with the pod drives.* I'm a big believer in the sentiment expressed in the late 1940s by the most famous Boeing engineer ever, Ed Wells, who when asked if he thought the newfangled jet engines were worth messing with answered, "Life's too short to waste it working on propellers."

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 22nd of December 2010 02:34:37 PM

Thank-you all for injecting some smiles and laughs into this otherwise grey day in NJ with this onpoint, hijacked, redirected, rehijacked, morphed thread. That is what I love about this forum.

To further Hi-jack, may all of you have a great Christmas Holiday (if you are so inclined) and an even greater 2011.

2011-The year of the charter, first step on my journey to becoming one of you.

Hiya,
** "Old stuff sucks.* The only reason to have it is it's either historical (like Chapman"s
smile.gif
)*and so has some sort of sentimental value,*or one can't afford new stuff.* Other than that, old is a waste of time."
** Mr. Marin.* I take some umbrage at your remarks about my missus.* Please apologise!

ducksoup189.jpeg

* Yes, she IS hysterical at times, is prone to sediment and heck, I can't even afford the OLD stuff!!!!

RTF-- Clearly I overlooked the advantages of "old stuff" when it comes to people. Or at least some people. Kindly inform your be-jeweled and be-spangled singificant other that I meant no disrespect to her. The guy with her, well, that may be a different story, I don't know.

Hiya,
** Apology accepted.* Thank you.* I never would have brought it up but my "net nanny" is in fact my "net wife".* Net fishing should be outlawed.* At least with a hook, line and diamond baubles you can catch and release.

Marin my man,
You're the guy cruising the San Juan's with miles of blue protectors covering your bright work that was finished w the "next generation" (ng) Finnish. Obviously you expect your ng Finnish to go south like most others. Your Bruce claw anchor just wasn't big enough. I think you'd have been better off w a bigger claw than the Rocna. The Rocna has only fair performance in rocks and mud and more like poor holding at short scope. Almost all PNW anchorages require 3-1 anchoring and many are so crowded that's not even possible. The Rocna is like any other anchor** ...good at some things and not so good at others. The fishermen do so much boating they don't need bow thrusters and when they choose an anchor it's almost always a claw when it isn't a Forfjord. The small aluminum charter boats usually a bit under 30' are 95%+ claw. These guys anchor in deep water regularly to bottom fish. And probably more significant to you I'll bet more guys have claws on this forum than any other anchor. I'm in a better position than most all of you on TF in that I can pull an anchor up on deck and swap it out for a better type in just a minute. It's not convenient for your bigger boats so you try to get by w one type. All chain rode** ...same thing. Convenience. Do the whole anchoring thing on the gypsy alone. Easy. Not being critical in that when/if I get a bigger boat I'll prolly be doing the same. And also Marin if there weren't guys like you we'd probably still be driv'in wood boats as fiberglass boats were once the ng thing. Speaking of wood boats I'll go look at that wood GB32.

nomadwilly wrote:

1.* You're the guy cruising the San Juan's with miles of blue protectors covering your bright work that was finished w the "next generation" (ng) Finnish. Obviously you expect your ng Finnish to go south like most others.

2.* Your Bruce claw anchor just wasn't big enough.

3.* The Rocna has only fair performance in rocks and mud and more like poor holding at short scope. Almost all PNW anchorages require 3-1 anchoring and many are so crowded that's not even possible.

4. The fishermen do so much boating they don't need bow thrusters and when they choose an anchor it's almost always a claw when it isn't a Forfjord. The small aluminum charter boats usually a bit under 30' are 95%+ claw. These guys anchor in deep water regularly to bottom fish. And probably more significant to you I'll bet more guys have claws on this forum than any other anchor.
1.* No finish is going to hold up forever.* We (and many others) have found that Bristol holds up so much better than varnish or anything else in our climate it's not even a contest.* But I'm*real lazy and I don't care if our boat has blue covers on it, so I'm maximizing the longevity of the Bristol.* If the covers help me get ten years out of it without my*having to touch it up or apply more coats, so much the better.* Even with the rail covers on during part of the year, varnish didn't last much*more than a year before it had to be redone or repaired.** We started exploring other finishes and Bristol outperformed all of them by a long shot.* So we switched.

2.* Don't know what your anchoring experience was down here but we never put out less than 5:1 and sometimes we put out 7:1.* With all-chain.* In over*twelve years we've never needed to shorten up to 3:1 anywhere.

3.* Guess you haven't read many independent reports on the Rocna (or Sarca).* As I've said before, we started looking for an anchor to replace the crappy Bruce, *which I am convinced is crappy by design, not by size unless you're trying to anchor a North Sea oil rig-- the design seems to work pretty good when it weighs a zillion tons and is the size of a house.*

But we had no preconceived notions.* In fact we hadn't even heard of the Rocna at the time.* But a query on the GB owners forum caused us to check the Rocna out and we**read*a bunch*of independent user reports about them, from the Dashews to ordinary boaters.* The Rocna was rated by these folks as being the best, or one of the best, in every bottom they used it in, including rock, mud, and everything else.* Having read all these positive reports we decided to check the anchor out further, so we looked at the Rocna website, watched the videos, and so on.* Then I called the company in New Zealand and talked to one of their people quite awhile about the anchor.* I also talked to the fellow who makes them under license in BC.* In the end we decided that was best thing going for the conditions we anchor in up here so we bought one.* So far we've not been disappointed.

That's not to say there aren't other anchor designs that are just as good, or perhaps even better in certain bottoms.* It's pretty hard to beat a Danforth/Fortress in sand, for example (which is one reason*why we carry a Fortress as well as the Rocna.)* But for all around performance, the Rocna, along with other anchors of similar design like the Sarca, keep racking up report after positive report from users.* I*tend to discount what*a manufacturer says about their product, but when the bulk of independent user reports are giving a product four and five stars, I do pay attention to that.

4.* The Rocna is new (or relatively new) so by definition a lot of boaters, and particularly commercial fishermen who are one of*the most conservative,*resistant-to-change groups on the planet, are going to stick with what they've always used or what*everybody else is using.***This is why we bought a Bruce in the first place--- everybody had them so*they*must be great,*right?**

It wasn't until we started experiencing poor performance from the Bruce that we began to realize*there had to be something better out there and set out to find it.***So far as I observed, ours was the only boat in our large marina with a Rocna for several years.* Now they (and Manson Surpremes) are starting to appear at an increasing rate.

Old is old.* Everything can be improved on.* It's significant to me that the people who most vehemently defend old stuff are themselves old (either in years or in attitude and outlook).* I'm not*young but I believe in new technology and applying it*to everything-- anchors, engines, boats, airplanes, cars, and toasters.**Clinging to old stuff (RTF's significant other excepted) is a waste of time in my mind.* It may be a requirement--- new stuff is often out of our*financial reach and being out on the water in an ancient boat is far better than not being out on the water at all.** But in my mind this doesn't mean old is better, it just means I can't afford new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom