Old 06-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Let’s talk about fenders....

When we acquired our boat it came with a bunch of different fenders, different size lines and means of attachment. It’s a mess and looks stupid. Makes it hard on my wife. We also have nowhere to store them without them just laying around the aft deck.

She wants 4 fender holders on the forward rail, two on each side. Then we can store extras under seats in the flybridge. That way they ware easy to get to and easy to put back and also are out of our way underway.

Thoughts on this?

Also, what she wants black fenders with navy blue covers. I think I remember reading on this site that covers might actually be harder on the paint than naked. Thoughts?

We gotta do something. I promise we’d get rid of our fenders and completely redo the system with new.

You guys have this mastered, love to hear what works for you. I did read in the other thread about fenders that there are some simple knots that we can learn instead of using gizmos to attach. She might not be happy about that but with practice I’m sure she’ll get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails
FE9ED39F-88EA-4BF3-B3F2-0012EE4A8936.jpg   DE1F8E49-8D27-435A-ACC0-63824E813FAE.jpg   D8375195-0785-4113-8297-4B15CE7787A5.jpg  
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
My normal docking fenders are Taylor Big B 10x26, stored in holders on the bow (shown in the picture). I also carry a set of ball fenders (2x 18 inch, 3x 12 inch) deflated in the forward bilge that I can inflate and use for locks or docking against a rough concrete wall (to avoid chewing up the covers on my regular fenders). The balls typically get deployed as 18" fore and aft just above the water and then the 12" ones tucked just under the gunwale. That's worked nicely to keep the boat off lock walls as well as being tied to a concrete wall with some wave action.

I've got the Taylor Tidy-ups adjusters on all of the fenders for convenience. For the ones on the bow, the adjusters get hung on the side of the fender holders. Makes things easy in our home slip, as if we're just out for a day, you just put the fenders back in the same order, clip them on and they're already at the correct height. When traveling, they're easy to adjust. And as I learned in a lock at one point last year, if you snag a fender on something hard, you'll break the (annoyingly expensive) adjuster and retrieve the fender from the water rather than damaging the stanchion or rail the fender is attached to. A picture of the adjusters I have is also attached.
Attached Thumbnails
48608923242_9c3c3e499e_o.jpg   taylormade_adjuster_fender_with_rope_black_1487525.jpg  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
I think your plan is solid. Maybe consider some room to adjust in a year or two as you fine tune things. Will the fender racks block visibility from down below? Is there potentially another storage location? Just thoughts.

We are using Polyform fenders with no covers. Our hull is gelcoat vs. paint. We keep the hull and fenders as clean as possible to avoid (not eliminate) scratching/marring of the gelcoat. I would probably have covers on the fenders if our hull were painted, and I might go that way soon anyway.

Your boat looks great.

Good Luck
Old 06-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Yeah it probably would when driving from the lower helm....
Attached Thumbnails
F420DD1D-D3DC-4311-9603-F844F5AFAC44.jpg  
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Yeah it probably would when driving from the lower helm....

Looks like you look through the rails rather than over them at the lower helm, so I'd agree, you're better off finding a different spot to store fenders.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I have the same issue with the ONLY helm I have being obstructed by the bow-mounted holders. I only carry two Taylor Big Boys, and they are strapped into u-shaped clips screwed into the side of the cockpit (tops seen next to the grandkid in shocking green shorts). Other than that place, there is nowhere but on top of the hardtop to store them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3676.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We had the fender holders as described up on the bow a bit off to the side, in the most commonly seen location. Although "line of sight" they did not affect visibility from the lower helm to any significant degree at all, and certainly a mild move of one's head solved that on the rare occasion. Never bothered us one bit.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Steve,
Good idea on upgrading your old fenders! It should reduce marking of your hull as long as you keep them clean and in good shape.
If it were me, I would be very concerned with placing fender holders anywhere they could impede my vision while underway (especially ahead). Depending on your hull, running gear, etc. accidentally striking a floating object (due to having your vision blocked) could result in unnecessary damage and expense. On most boats, I would avoid putting fender holders on the bow rail because of that. In waves, spotting some of the floatsum (at least around here) can be challenging even with full visibility.

If you keep your fenders clean, and regularly rinse the area on the hull where they make contact, you should eliminate (or greatly reduce) the need for covers. If you don't keep the covers clean, I would expect they could accumulate salt crystals that could mar the hull surface anyway. Clean and salt free is good either way .
I would avoid the adjustable fender straps. While they are good from the point of view of quick, easy, and "adjustable", they have to be hung from the top horizontal rail. Think of your stanchions (posts) as levers or pry bars. Any force put against the top is greatly multiplied on the bottom where the stanchion is screwed, bolted, and SEALED on the deck. This force, especially repeated forces, could easily cause the bedding material to fail resulting in water leaks. These leaks may not be sudden or even large, but they are often undetected and often lead to damage (and smells). This does not need visible damage to the rails to occur. That is why I prefer to attach fenders to stronger points on the boat like cleats or the base of stanchions. There are several choices of knots that you can use that are simple, strong, and are not that hard to adjust (though not as easy as the "adjustable" holders). Some suggestions are the clove hitch, tauntline hitch, and the "bending knot" (also known as the round turn and 2 half hitches). With some practise, these knots can become "second nature" and only take a couple of seconds to tie (5 seconds approx.).

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Old 06-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Guru

To me, the covers aren't so much for keeping the hull clean, they're more to keep the fenders looking nice rather than sun baked and gross. The covers on mine are sunbrella (matches the bimini), so they're not soft and fuzzy anyway. But that also means they don't really hold dirt. My ball fenders are intended to be abused, so those aren't covered.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Imo, storing fenders really depends on your cruising style. Those that travel dock to dock probably want them easily accessible. I tend to anchor out mostly and am fine with moving and storing them on the upper boat deck.

Mine are quite large at 15" X 58". I only use 2 and they're hung horizontally. They work extremely well, but the size requires moving them off the lower deck and out of the way. In addition I use 3 large fender balls when locking. They are usually stored tied on the inside of the upper boat deck railings.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Recently bought a set of "Fastfender"s (see Amazon) for our 6 fenders. Makes deploying (and more importantly RE-deploying) fender positions very fast and easy for the admiral. Just a 90 degree rotation and drop onto the rail. Simple adjustments once placed. So far, considered a good purchase for us.

To stow, we just relocate the Fastfenders to the aft rail as seen in the crop below. Quick and easy.
Attached Thumbnails
GulfUnderwayAftQuarterPan_Moment.jpg  
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
She wants 4 fender holders on the forward rail, two on each side. Then we can store extras under seats in the flybridge. That way they ware easy to get to and easy to put back and also are out of our way underway.

Thoughts on this?

Also, what she wants black fenders with navy blue covers. I think I remember reading on this site that covers might actually be harder on the paint than naked. Thoughts?

I did read in the other thread about fenders that there are some simple knots that we can learn instead of using gizmos to attach. She might not be happy about that but with practice I’m sure she’ll get used to it.

We inherited 6 big fenders with the boat, four hole-thru-middle and two ears at both ends. If I were to do it over, I think I'd choose all with ears at both ends, and just carry a few spare fender whips for the times we might want to deploy a few horizontally.

West Marine (and others) offer pre-spliced 6' and 9' fender whips; easy.

Cow hitch (or larks head) or taut-line hitch; easy.

We did eventually get some covers; the ones we found that seemed better were from Harken and made of Sunbrella. Tried other fabrics, they mostly disintegrated. But I think I'd select black fenders and go without covers at all, first.

We put four fender baskets forward, two on each side, worked well. Since we didn't have a lower helm, we had no risk of impeded sight lines.

We also added a large buoy fender, mostly to be used way up toward our bow when necessary to briefly lay up against floating docks. It carries deflated except for longer trip then we know we might need it a lot; in that case, tied sorta loosely but out of the way up on the foredeck until needed.

-Chris
Old 06-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Guru

Wax the fenders after you clean them and they will stay nice much longer.
We make covers out of terrycloth towels. Easy to clean and they do not scratch the hull.
Remove and wash them when they start to get crappy.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
This is what was on this boat when we got her and they seem to be working just fine. There are four on each side, all mounted at the same height, the fenders all have the same length line, so you can grab any fender and clip it on any eye. When not in use I store the fenders on the forward deck, two on each side. They seem to always stay in place.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0003 (1).jpg   DSC_0004 (3).jpg   DSC_0005 (1).jpg  
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Lots of different practices for different boats and cruising. We do a lot of canal trips.
On our current MS w good rails most of the way around I hand them from the rail s adjusters. I like the Taylor shown but prefer the Lift A Dor fastener vs the Twist Common Sense fastener that always seem to come off for me
I use Lg (10") single thru hole fenders with a line through them and a stopper knot on the bottom. That let's me easily hang them horizontal between rail & gunnel when not needed. Adjuster on top, half hitch on lower pulled thru to provide slack.
I have a lg ball I also hang from rail at aft end of anchor platform with ball out of sight line below gunnel and on an adjuster.

When canaling I remove covers so fenders are easily rinsed by dunking while underway. I replace soft covers when we are in cruising areas w/o locks. For canaling I want quick deploy and EZ adjustment. If you dont like adjusters a simple clove hitch will work for EZ adjustment.
I would try some different approaches before committing to holders.
Hope it helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200618_113859.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	104017Click image for larger version

Name:	20200618_114000.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	104018
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Guru

For canal runs, as Bacchus pointed out, keeping fenders easy and quick to deploy is key. Coming up through the canals last year, we used the balls and left the regular fenders sitting in their holders. Balls stayed down between locks in the slow sections, anywhere we were running faster we just flipped them up onto the side decks, still attached to the rails so that we could just toss them back over when ready.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Look, if those who have not used them are making you paranoid about the holders, it is easy enough to hang fenders off the rail in various places where the racks may go and make a real world decision.

I found it very handy to have at least one large ball fender on board, there are times when they are a better solution.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have 4 large fenders with the holes on each end. They are black and it is easy to keep them clean. We have a 6’ line spliced on one end of each fender. We have 4 6’ fender whips that we can put through the hole on the other end when we want to deploy them horizontally. We just use a clove hitch when we put them out. With the fender clips we find that you will want the fender out at the same height all the time whether or not it is the best height, also they break. A clove hitch is simple and fast to do. Also with a clove hitch you can adjust the height without untying it. We don’t like covers since they can trap dirt that will scratch the paint on the hull.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I suggest always use an attachment method that can be released under tension.

Have seen too many incidents where even cutting the line is too late.
Attached Images

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
OK, at the risk of offending some members, here is my nickels worth.

Forget about all the gadgets and doodads. You don't need cloth sleeves, nor hangers, nor slings or any of the adjusting tools. You don't need cylindrical fenders either.

Buy one big round ball fender for the bow and as many as three smaller ones. Learn to tie a clove hitch and you are ready to cruise or dock.

Round fenders are a pain to store so we don't even try. Pull them in and lay them on the walkway.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote