Lehman Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This entire thread is about jargon

This hijacked thread was about bracing and removal of a Lehman engine. It is now about a couple of opinionated posters fighting about "my engine is better than your engine"

This hijacked thread was about bracing and removal of a Lehman engine. It is now about a couple of opinionated posters fighting about "my engine is better than your engine"

You’re right—not the entire thread. The first 20 or so posts had value.

Not really...its more about current lehman owner dispelling stretched truths about several engine types that TF members may be considering in a purchase.

There is a difference between commercial operator worries and rec worries and WAY more to discuss in total engine swaps than some are willing to acknowlefge

Now we have your agenda thrown in.Most threads wind up as several different discussions because some drag alternative solutions in rather than sticking to the original question. Its not a bad thing as long as it is a reasonably and quickly explained alternative.

Last edited:
Not really...its more about current lehman owner dispelling stretched truths about several engine types that TF members may be considering in a purchase.

There is a difference between commercial operator worries and rec worries and WAY more to discuss in total engine swaps than some are willing to acknowlefge

Now we have your agenda thrown in.Most threads wind up as several different discussions because some drag alternative solutions in rather than sticking to the original question. Its not a bad thing as long as it is a reasonably and quickly explained alternative.

This thread has deteriorated into a bloviation session between you and Scooby about which engines are sleeveless and therefor throwaways and all Lehman owners should immediately replace their underpowered engines with 3208 cats.

Original OP is long gone. That should tell you a little about thread drift.

This thread has deteriorated into a bloviation session between you and Scooby about which engines are sleeveless and therefor throwaways and all Lehman owners should immediately replace their underpowered engines with 3208 cats.

Thread drift is a gravity issue. They can drift constructively or—based on the nonsensical premise of the Lehman-haters on this one—in useless directions. I don’t see Scott’s comments as bloviating.

Just because there is thread drift doesn't make the thread worthless and OPs can always come back in anytime.

Others chimed in to agree that going toward reengining wasn't necessarily the way to go.

Now you have created further drift by binging in a personal view of yet another issue.

:confused:Just got bad news that the broken water pump damaged the stbd engine on my GB42 Classic. Sounds like a rod or main bearing. The tech who diagnosed it was a 20 yr USCG diesel mechanic who went to work for himself after retirement. He is very knowledgeable.
His recommendation was to replace the engine with a new or rebuilt unit. But thinking about it, I don't know why one cylinder can't be rebuilt. In my experience typically one cylinder is damaged from brief overheating. Obviously if the damage is mmore extensive the engine will have to be rebuilt or replaced. Bearings etc are readily available. The boat lived most of its life in Lake Superior so it has only 1,900 engine hours. Brian has told me that they don't even think about a rebuild before 15k hours; has seen running Lehman's with 45k hours!

Here are my questuions:
1. Is it possible to raise the engine and remove a piston and con rod? Obviously, if it is a main bearing, the the engine would have to be removed to access the crank and check the journals.

2. How do you remove the engine from the boat? The boat is bit of a drive from my house so I can't easily measure the width to determine if would go through a saloon door. Will the engine have to be stripped to a short block status?

I am devastated because I have become emotionally attached to this old woodie.
A guy in my marina just did (1) cylinder in an Island Gypsy 36, so doing it in the boat sounds possible. If the damage was to a main bearing however, there is likely damage to the crank, and then the engine would have to come out. Best of luck.

When I repowered my old Mainship 34, the marina removed the old engine (and installed the new) using a boom truck.
They made one lift to get the engine to the cockpit deck, then lowered it to the deck that I had covered with plywood, and took a second bite to get it up over the high transom. I also had a full cockpit overhang hence the second lift.

Cost was one hour labor for the marina and that included putting it in my pickup truck the next weekend. (I think it was $75 at the time=dirt cheap)

I had looked at my Albin for a possible repower at one time and was confident that the marina could also have removed the Lehman with a boom truck and 2 or maybe a third lift to get it over the rail.

Back
Top Bottom