Old 10-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
I know it’s sacrilege to talk about the Ford Lehman ,people love those engines for reasons I cannot fathom,Those engines are what is considered throwaways they don’t have removable Cylinder sleeves and are not designed to be in framed overalled ,And on top of that they’re not a very good engine in my opinion ,I do not believe that 45 Thousand hour engine BS , that being said can they be long lived yes ,can they get the job done yes ,would I rebuild one no ,I would replace it with a different engine if it can’t be repaired in the boat ,it could be a bad damper plate making a racket it’s possible, removing them has been pretty well covered above , I know budget is everything, however I would try anything I could to put a couple of 50 hp Kabota-based engines back in it ,just saying ,my opinion ,nothing more, Oh there’s a lot of other 50 year old parts bolted to that engine are you going to replace those two ,how about the other engine and transmissions do yourself a favor if you can possibly afford it replace them both ,I guarantee it will put a smile on your face when you hear them run ,you’ll never trust those old lemans
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Worst advice so far. AND I am not even a Lehman worshipper.

Not that a replacement engine isn't a bad idea...but for none of the things mentioned.

I have had several Lehman expert mechanics tell me rebuilding in place is possible depending on mounting room and total need.

Almost every Lehman owner DOES trust their Lehman engine...it is the bolt on equipment (same as new engines) that tends to fail.

Drop in rebuilts are inexpensive and will outlast most owners here.

Parts are generic and had from inexpensive sources such as tractor parts stores.

Those with singles would need at least 75 to 80hp replacements.

As far as a "good" engine...what is good? Inexpensive and reliable? Or only one with the Scoobydobeedoo seal of approval?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Not that a replacement engine isn't a bad idea...but for none of the things mentioned.

I have had several Lehman expert mechanics tell me rebuilding in place is possible depending on mounting room and total need.

Almost every Lehman owner DOES trust their Lehman engine...it is the bolt on equipment (same as new engines) that tends to fail.

Parts are generic and had from inexpensive sources such as tractor parts stores.

Those with singles would need at least 75 to 80hp replacements.

As far as a "good" engine...what is good? Inexpensive and reliable? Or only one with the Scoobydobeedoo seal of approval?
I made it very clear that it was my opinion ,you made it very clear you don’t agree with my opinion , everybody’s entitled to their opinion
Old 10-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: Southern Lady
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 1971 Woodie
It overheat badly while underway and stopped running
omoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
I made it very clear that it was my opinion ,you made it very clear you don’t agree with my opinion , everybody’s entitled to their opinion
Yes you have made your opinion known, often. 99 out of 100 are happy with the Lehman, it is as old as 50 years and still running, can still find parts to keep it going. It is old school and many old timers can wrench on them.

Why not start a thread explaining which engine is best IYO.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

No you disn't. But I replaced the injectors and had the injector pumps replaced 300 hours ago.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Gardiner engines are the gold standard for long-lasting marine engines. Power European fishing boats and have unbelievable hours. "
Gardner Diesel Question/Thread [Archive] - The WoodenBoat Forum

Aug 05, 2018 · You might get 10,000 hours from a Yanmar before it needs. an overhaul, Gardners can expect 50,000hrs before overhaul. I believe Yanmar quotes 20,000 hours" Enough said
Old 10-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Maybe we should take a poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Yes you have made your opinion known, often. 99 out of 100 are happy with the Lehman, it is as old as 50 years and still running, can still find parts to keep it going. It is old school and many old timers can wrench on them.

Why not start a thread explaining which engine is best IYO.
Bob out in Virginia has made his living selling parts for lemans ,I’m sure he’s been laughing all the way to the bank For the last three decades, I can go through the whole history of the Ford Lehman, but you guys don’t wanna hear it, If you like your ford Lemans Then stick with your ford lemons I’m done with it myself ,About the only thing you can do in your boat and that isn’t easy is freshen up the cylinders that go bad From lack of use ,Hone the cylinders new rings gasket set rebuild the injection pump and that’s about it some people have gone as far as boring the Cylinders I wouldn’t do that but if you want to feel free your money, smooth running where do you get that from ,I know a guy that fashioned a 300 pound fly wheel for his Ford just to get it to run smooth ,I must live in an alternate universe I reject your reality and substitute my own
Old 10-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:

Agree. As long as the cylinder(s) doesn't have to be bored out and if the crankshaft can stay. Otherwise it's better off being rebuilt on the bench.
Once it's in the salon, it should be relatively easy to take out of the boat with a boom truck.

I am one of those that didn't really like my Lehman 120 when I first bought the boat. But the friggin' thing just kept chugging along.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #31
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by omoore View Post
Here are my questuions:
1. Is it possible to raise the engine and remove a piston and con rod? Obviously, if it is a main bearing, the the engine would have to be removed to access the crank and check the journals.

2. How do you remove the engine from the boat? The boat is bit of a drive from my house so I can't easily measure the width to determine if would go through a saloon door. Will the engine have to be stripped to a short block status?
In relation to your first question, I would say yes you can and you should not even need to raise the engine. I used to have a 1979 GB 40 Classic with twin Lehmans 120s and had to replace the #6 piston in each engine. The mechanic was able to do it in-situ.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
Bob out in Virginia has made his living selling parts for lemans ,I’m sure he’s been laughing all the way to the bank For the last three decades, I can go through the whole history of the Ford Lehman, but you guys don’t wanna hear it, If you like your ford Lemans Then stick with your ford lemons I’m done with it myself ,About the only thing you can do in your boat and that isn’t easy is freshen up the cylinders that go bad From lack of use ,Hone the cylinders new rings gasket set rebuild the injection pump and that’s about it some people have gone as far as boring the Cylinders I wouldn’t do that but if you want to feel free your money, smooth running where do you get that from ,I know a guy that fashioned a 300 pound fly wheel for his Ford just to get it to run smooth ,I must live in an alternate universe I reject your reality and substitute my own
Bob has been dead for about 4 years now. Maybe get your facts straight before you go on another rant.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Why no alarms

Mea Culpa. I was returning to my home port from a months long total refit that including repairing rot, replacing most of the flybridge side plywood and a myriad of other things, including instrument wiring on the engines. 42k worth. Yes, I was crazy. So I did not get an overheat alarm. I am also kicking myself because I had planned to install raw water flow alarms once home when I planned to finish up. For want of a nail a shoe was lost...
Thanks for the tip of taking the engine out fore and aft which negates some of the bracing.

I will take the head off and inspect closely. With the head off I may get a better reading with my stethoscope.

Yes, the engines were seriously underused. But they were winterized and the boat stored in a heated building plus they had a fresh water life until 5 years ago.
I have appreciated all the helpful tips and insights. When I get more info,I will share it with everyone.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Bob has been dead for about 4 years now. Maybe get your facts straight before you go on another rant.
I was aware of that his son is running the business ,can’t give Up a cash cow ,and I don’t rant A lot of people just don’t like being disagreed with, I don’t accuse other people of ranting either ,I just state my opinion and most always say it’s my opinion if you don’t like me or my opinion move on to somebody else is just an opinion get over it , I said in my opinion Lehman is a throwaway ,it’s more than just my opinion that is a common term used for an engine that isn’t designed for an in frame rebuild ,they call those engines throwaways ,they were built expensively and marketing aggressively to builders that we’re looking to cut the cost fact, I owned at least 10 of them ,I’m more familiar with that engine than most another fact, just like a cat 3208 mentioned above I owned one of those two ,throwaway engine ,easiest starting engine I’ve ever owned ,also real good for killing mosquitoes ,like the Lehman can be long lived because Boats hardly get used terrible fuel economy ,Another fact not opinion fact ,I could go on but I would get accused of ranting because how dare I say something about the engine you have in your boat ,you act like I’m attacking your masculinity
Old 10-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #35
Guru

They said 3208s Cats were throwaway and there is still a big market worldwide. So what is your point?

You don't like either engine and thats OK with the world.....I think.

But your claims are so far in the minority I hate for new people here to take much of what you post to heart without further research on their part. Notice how I didn't say I was right and you were wrong.

You couldn't possibly attack my masculinity based on your posts so far. As I say, not a Lehman lover, but fair and honest.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

I don’t really understand your comment

Quote:
They said 3208s Cats were throwaway and there is still a big market worldwide. So what is your point?

You don't like either engine and thats OK with the world.....I think.

But your claims are so far in the minority I hate for new people here to take much of what you post to heart without further research on their part. Notice how I didn't say I was right and you were wrong.

You couldn't possibly attack my masculinity based on your posts so far. As I say, not a Lehman lover, but fair and honest.
I am trying to say ,somebody else mentioned 3208 was a good engine it is much like the Ford Lehman built inexpensively and marketed heavily ,they put them in a lot of things fire trucks ,dump trucks ,buses ,Local delivery trucks , and Boats , it’s also an engine that’s not designed to be rebuilt like the Ford Lehman ,when time comes to rebuild it there generally removed and replaced with a reconditioned unit or a different engine ,hence throwaway non-removable cylinder sleeve they weren’t particularly a good engine ,although there was a lot of them produced fuel economy was poor as well they had a tendency to smoke heavily on start up ,they were marketed aggressively and they were inexpensive comparatively ,there was a lot of them sold for that reason you still see them in Boats primarily is because a lot of boats don’t get used much ,you will not see them as much in vehicles , I write these things to try to clarify a lot of bad information that I read, people think ford Lehman is a good investment it is not nor is a cat 3208 do your own research and you will see that this is true, I don’t know what the worldwide thing is I didn’t mention anything about that ,if you want my opinion which I doubt ,about a good engine I can tell you, I don’t know why people defend ford Lehman ,They act as if their personally offended because they own one , They own one because that’s what the builder put in the boat ,now you’re stuck with it ,so what you tell yourself it’s a wonderful engine when it’s not ,whatever
Old 10-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #37
Guru

The joke is I have owned both these type engines and all the " throwaway" naysayers have been wrong for a long time.

I had a sport fish with 2 -3208s back in the 90s early 2000s and knew of a world renowned 3208 rebuilder that was doing each engine for less than 10 grand. There are currently several USA Lehman rebuilders doing it for half of what reengining would cost.

You are typically so off the mark of my reality as you would say...and me being in the commercial boating business and not the trucking world...I will stick with what I know and continue to point out posts that fly in the face of what I know or have experienced.

I don't defend what I own...I usually comment that that is the problem with the internet. I just reject your reality as so far off the mark of what I have read and experienced in the boating, not trucking world.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:23 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

We don’t agree and that is fine if you want a good engine look at the Cummings n14 ,or any engine that’s designed to be rebuilt so called in frame, at the very least Perkins ,Detroit not all but most caterpillar any of them with removable Cylinder sleeves would be a much better choice in my opinion!!!
Old 10-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #39
Guru

Big difference in switching engine types than just rebuilding or replacing in kind if the engine is "good enough".... and both 3208s and Lehmans are.

You should know that even as a trucker...we do in the marine trades.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

In the trucking world

Quote:
Big difference in switching engine types than just rebuilding or replacing in kind if the engine is "good enough".... and both 3208s and Lehmans are.

You should know that even as a trucker...we do in the marine trades.
People usually make decisions based on finances sometimes you have no choice ,but if you do have a choice I would always go with replacements ,in the trucking world that can be difficult because the trucks are usually wired for a certain engine at least the newer trucks so normally you would just replace the truck,In the boating world Most of the time everything is very old your running gear is pretty wore out as well ,I know it’s very expensive what’s cheaper if you Marinize your own engine that is above most peoples skill level ,however in the commercial fishing side of things it is very common , good time to replace fuel tanks clean up electrical wiring overall refit it’s your choice pay now or pay later