Leaving dinghy on bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
I winter store in a heated building and I'm getting ready to do so.
I usually take the dink off the bow and put it on it's trailer for the winter.

My question is..who leaves theirs on the boat when they haul and why shouldn't I.
The dink is a CC with 30hp and weight is about 500#.

My avatar has a picture of the setup.

Since you're in freshwater, there's probably no need to flush the OB. I assume you're fogging the OB? If stored in a heated building, I can't think of any reason you would need to remove it.

Since you're in freshwater, there's probably no need to flush the OB. I assume you're fogging the OB? If stored in a heated building, I can't think of any reason you would need to remove it.

Yes I'll winterize it, I'm really concerned about the weight, Theoretically the dink is up there from May to October and has been for 18 years, while it's floating. For some reason I seem to think it's harder on the cabin top while blocked than it is in the water floating. I'm worrying over nothing right..?

Not to jump in. Never fogged my out board. Unless im wrong in what I think id like correction. Mine is a 1977 70hp johnson 2 stroke I mix oil into my fuel. I think the fogging requirement is leaned more towards 4 stroke and straight gas motors.

Also if your bow can handle it why not leave your dinghy on the bow for the winter.

Also - especially if you use an Ethanol blended gas, make sure to put some StaBil or equivalent in the fuel, or get rid of it and start over in the Spring.

Guys I don't care about the outboard issue, that's SOP. It's the weight on the cabin top I am concerned about.

Weight

Re: the outboard.... I was responding to someone else's comment about fogging. (sorry - got distracted from your original question)

Re: weight. I don't know the structural limits on the deck, but I wouldnt think that being on the hard would make much difference. If youre not seeing any hairline cracks around the bases of the cradles, youre probably fine.

- Any advantage to removing the outboard only? That would remove, what, 250-300 lbs? And you could have it serviced or just hang it on a stand in your garage or wherever. (Not that it needs servicing). The throttle cables, etc. would be the hardest part to reconnect.

If it's been up there for 18 seasons I see no reason to remove if just for the winter, given the total weight of the vessel this is an extremely small percentage of the total weight, less fuel in the tank would have a bigger impact.

From a structural deck standpoint, it's exactly the same in the water as out.

I think that while your boat is in the water your dingy will present a greater load on the cabin top than while on blocks in storage. While your boat is in the water it will be moving side to side and up and down, which will cause your dingy to move slightly and cause more stress on your cabin top, While in storage the dingy will only be a static load on the cabin top.

I agree with previous two posters. The weight on the deck is the same in or out of the water. Stress on the structure is less on the hard because the vessel is blocked and not moving around or bouncing up and down on a rough sea. Any damage to the structure has already occurred!!! Leave the boat up there for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom