Leave boat in Abaco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh damn. Sorry to hear that. Roy was so fun to be around. Super smart dude and so gregarious. He invited us on his crazy houseboat he built, the Royhamas, and I think we even had dinner with him IIRC.

Shout out to TF member K9medic who is going out of his way to bring me a water pump for my generator to GTC in the Bahamas.

This is why TF is such a good community!

Sitting here at the dock on GTC overlooking Black Sound. It’s pretty dang nice here, and there is a damn nice (and big) Fleming across from me.

58293991252__F5994043-32DF-4FB6-9C6F-DBE101FD0EB2.jpg

Decided to leave the boat here through the summer, winter, spring , who knows. It’s a dock at the house of a local couple who seem super nice, helpful. Hurricane plan is to pull the boat and tie it down at a local boatyard here that does that sort of thing. The dock owner will get it over there. Taking a chance I know, so we shall see.

I’m on the end of the dock “T” and there are some big pilings about 25 feet from the dock (so boat is between the T and the pilings) so I was able to run three good lines to those to keep me from rubbing the dock all day. Pretty cool setup IMO.

The trip to get here is a bit convoluted however. I have to fly to FLL from Houston, then fly over either to Marsh Harbour and take a taxi to Treasure Cay, or fly from FLL direct to Treasure, but not many flights to TCB it seems. Then take a ferry from Treasure to GTC.

Now I’m wanting a center console to keep in a dry stack somewhere near FLL so I could fly in, hop on the fast boat and zoom over here in about 5 hours, weather permitting obviously. Just dreaming, but what the minimum boat length to do that comfortably? I think I would want dual, newish outboards. Yamaha and Suzuki seem popular here.

The center console and maintenance could cost you more than your trawler!

Glad you are enjoying your stay. But remain balanced!

We had a center console and sold it, big mistake. I have been looking for a replacement and the prices of CCs have gone nuts.

The center console and maintenance could cost you more than your trawler!

Glad you are enjoying your stay. But remain balanced!

Yes. My wife just said the exact same thing. [emoji23][emoji23]

Blaming it on the wine!

We had a center console and sold it, big mistake. I have been looking for a replacement and the prices of CCs have gone nuts.

Yeah looking around on Craigslist I found some in the 40k range with dual newer outboards. But most of them seem to be $100k plus. Ridiculous. I can buy lots of airline tickets for that, my lovely wife keeps reminding me.

Center console!! I can see where this is headed already. Next thing you know we’ll be overun with wake boats with mast & boom kits. You’re getting sucked into the destination thing instead of the journey. What happened to the 6 knot guy we once knew & loved.

I'd say you have done well and sure there is some risk, but without risk there isn't much reward. Now your CC idea is not one of your better ideas, coming from someone like myself who can complicate things pretty easily, this is ripe for trouble (weather, theft, mechanical, maint etc etc).

Last edited:
Getting ready to get on the ferry and head to Treasure Cay and catch a flight. Water at the dock is so clear!

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg
IMG_6338.jpg

When are you planning on going back?

Hopefully sometime in July/August for a few weeks.

Just had the biggest fail of the trip. Our flight out of TC to FLL leaves at 1:55pm today, but for some reason I got on the 9am ferry from GTC so we have over a 4 hour wait at this lovely little airport!

IMG_7484.jpg
But I told my wife if we didn’t get here so early we would have missed out on the awesome tuna and grit breakfast! [emoji51]

I think my plane just got here. Island Tyme Airlines!
IMG_6341.jpg

Last edited:

Just had the biggest fail of the trip. Our flight out of TC to FLL leaves at 1:55pm today, but for some reason I got on the 9am ferry from GTC so we have over a 4 hour wait at this lovely little airport!

But I told my wife if we didn’t get here so early we would have missed out on the awesome tuna and grit breakfast! [emoji51]

I'm always for arriving early. Nothing worse that being 10 minutes late and being told you can take the next flight which leaves on Friday.

Yeah I’m always early at airports, but this was a little ridiculous even for me. What got me was there was one ferry at 9am and the next one was not until 11am so I thought that would be cutting it close for some reason. I thought the ferry ride would be more like 30-45min but it was barely 15. Oh well, now I know so next time when we bring friends over we will know how to do it like a “local”, mon.

View attachment 90367

View attachment 90368
We’ve eaten there before waiting for flight . It was about 15 years ago. Best I remember the food was pretty good. I think we had a burger and fries.

You should have had the cab to drop you off at the Tipsy Seagull for an hour or two!

Hopefully we will catch up to you all in July. We will be back on the 4th and are bringing the boat back on the 20th.

With any luck, we might have even closed on our house over there by August.

Sorry we missed you Mark. Had to get back to take care of some stuff. I plan to come back in July at some point.

You getting a house on GTC?

Well that’s exciting! Will you still bring the big boat over or get a smaller center console type boat and just use that to get around?

This is probably the last trip for the big boat over there. I pulled a 19 foot boat over with me back in February and it Will reside there now.

I have the boat posted for sale but I’m not sure if I’m going to sell it or not.

Sounds like a good plan. We hope to be back soon so I can buy you a beer!

Back
Top Bottom