Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Lease a Trawler

Any good place(s) to lease a Trawler for 3months to 1year ?

There are a lot of lease for sailing vessel,* but can not find a link or business for Trawler .

Any idea ?

thanks

yannick298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
RE: Lease a Trawler

Ever heard of Google? There's lots to choose from in the Pacific Northwest - I'm sure they're available elsewhere too - I just happen to know this area.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
yannick298 wrote:
Any good place(s) to lease a Trawler for 3months to 1year ?

There are a lot of lease for sailing vessel,* but can not find a link or business for Trawler .

Any idea ?

thanks

*Never heard of that long of a lease...but there are people looking for "partners" for a time share set up...there may be some time share's out there...look in the back of any of the big cruising mags (passagemaker, cruising world, etc).* The internet may be of help or even a few of the trawler brokers may have some "wind" of someone looking to do something like that.

Shot of those...take out an ad or post in some forum classifieds of what you want.* There's always a chance.

2 summers ago a guy here in Avalon, NJ let someone use his boat for the summer...all you had to do is pay for the summer storage, the basic maintenance and the fuel.* It was advertised at a lot of the local marinas.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Yakima

Check out a yacht charter company.* My boat is in charter and I have had an inquiry about a three month charter to Alaska.* I didn't want to do it for that long, but I know of another boat owner that really wanted that business. *

I think it would be harder to do with a private party because of the insurance requirements, but you could post an ad in the boating section of Craig's list for your area and see if you get any takers.

Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

Depends on the area you want to boat in I suppose. The only place I'm personally familar with up here where you can at least ask the question is the large Grand Banks sales and charter outfit in Bellingham called Northwest Explorations http://www.nwexplorations.com/ We chartered from them before deciding to acquire our own boat. Their lead broker is Scott Blake, who helped us find our old GB thirteen years ago. He would certainly have an idea of how practical or possible your request is in this area. Their boats are all newer GBs and the weekly charter rates are not what I would call inexpensive. Whether they or the owners of the boats in their charter fleet would even consider a long-term lease is something only Scott could answer.

If you are looking to lease a boat directly from an individual owner Bob's suggestion of working the internet is probably a smart first step. Put an ad on Craigslist or something? I don't know the best approach but perhaps others will have more specific suggestions of how to use the web to your best advantage.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would agree with Marin on the charter company option.* It would probably not be inexpensive.* The offer to charter our boat for three months was around $40,000.

Lyle
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Quote:
Norwester wrote:
I would agree with Marin on the charter company option.* It would probably not be inexpensive.* The offer to charter our boat for three months was around $40,000.

Lyle
*You know thats not an unreasonable fee for three months of chartering a large well equipped yacht.

Three months is an almost perfect amount of time to completely explore the inside passage.

For many, it's the trip of a lifetime.

BTW, we start our second inside passage journey in April. Anacortes Washington to Seward Alaska.

ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
Norwester wrote:

Lyle
*hmmm....maybe I should charter out my Monk instead of selling her. *No one has a charter boat on the TN River and many love cruising there....hmmmm....
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
Guru

Checked 2 sites...renting a 40 to 45 trawler was 4600-7200 a week and the one qouted an additional 600 a day (but no indication that 3 months was OK).

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that $50,000 would be the baseline for 3 months.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
selling her. *No one has a charter boat on the TN River and many love cruising there....hmmmm....
*That ought to work out really well, Tony. *Just about everyone on the river is competent in handling a single screw trawler.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Actually putting a boat into a barebones charter scenario would give you the ability to make most of your boating related expenses, business expenses, AKA a tax write off.

ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greeting,
I think this scenario has been discussed somewhare before, maybe on this board. I seem to remember the general conclusion was that it would beat the crap out of your boat and for most, not worth it. Just look at rental housing.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
ksanders wrote:
Actually putting a boat into a barebones charter scenario would give you the ability to make most of your boating related expenses, business expenses, AKA a tax write off.

*It's also the quickest way to wreck your boat short of running it up on the rocks.* Barebones charters are like rental cars*:*AKA "world's greatest all terrain vehicles"...*
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
*It's also the quickest way to wreck your boat short of running it up on the rocks.* Barebones charters are like rental cars*:*AKA "world's greatest all terrain vehicles"...*

Amen to that.* While the GB charter fleet in Bellingham is in top condition it takes a LOT of work, including a lot of repair work, to keep it that way.* This is one reason we elected to buy an older boat that we could afford to buy outright and own ourselves rather than buy a newer boat and rely on charter income to cover some of the expense.

The other major disadvantages in our minds to having a boat in charter is that you often can't use it during the best parts of the year, and you have to leave it "bare."* No clothes in the lockers, no food in the refrigerator, none of your "stuff" on board.

And while it will depend on the age of the boat, type of boat, the local boating market, etc., at the time we bought our boat (1998) putting a newer GB in charter would cover some of the expense of owning the boat but not all of it.* We were told about half.* Mainly what it did and perhaps still does is "reduce" your cost of ownership.* So it would not have been like getting a boat for free.

Chartering a boat can certainly work for some people, particulary if the boat being charted is expensive and the owner is looking for a tax break.* But we quickly determined that for what we wanted a boat for--- something we could use year round however and whenever we wanted--- it was immediately clear to us that putting the boat in charter was out of the question.* Plus we don''t want our boat driven and operated (often improperly according to the people we know in the local charter company) by other people.* The number one rule in the film industry--- trash the rental--- is equally true of charter boats.* There are a lot of conscientious charter customers, that's true, but it only takes one uncaring one to put a lot of age on your boat in a hurry.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
Per
Guru

i seem to recall reading somewhere that the person leasing or chartering a boat must have a captain license or employ a captain to operate the vessel?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

Not for a bareboat charter. These are un-skippered. Like renting a car. We chartered a GB36 before we bought one of our own. The boat was owned by somebody but we operated it ourselves. No license or crew other than ourselves required.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
ksanders wrote:
You know thats not an unreasonable fee for three months of chartering a large well equipped yacht.

Three months is an almost perfect amount of time to completely explore the inside passage.

For many, it's the trip of a lifetime.

BTW, we start our second inside passage journey in April. Anacortes Washington to Seward Alaska.

*Hey if you are coming to Seward you really should check out Prince William Sound. It's like Southeast only no towns just places.

If you do get in touch with me I'll show you around.

Them's my stomping grounds.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Since I appear to be the only one here with a boat in charter, I'll give some of my opinions and experiences.* It's not for everyone, but we've had a reasonably good experience with the boat in charter for two seasons.

We live 200 miles from the boat and because we're involved with agriculture our busy season is June, July and August.* We can use the boat mainly in April, May, September and October.* Because of our schedule and distance from the boat, chartering seemed like a reasonable idea.

Some of the advantages are that there is always someone there to check on the boat, clean it and maintain it.* We have a locked personal locker that has all of our stuff in it for our use.* We have better dock access than we would have with ordinary moorage and the boat is ready to walk aboard and motor away when we have scheduled to use it.* Because I'm not near the boat, I do near zero maintenance.* When I can make it to the boat I want to use it.

There are tax advantages, but some of them are overblown.* Other financial advantages include being able to buy parts and supplies at business rates and sales tax is charged on the rental of the boat, so you don't pay sales tax on the boat or upgrades and supplies.

The income from the charters pays for the increased maintenance on the boat, moorage, storage, insurance.* It doesn't pay for all of the costs of owning and upgrading a boat.

So far our experience with charters has been pretty positive.* The young party crowd isn't attracted to our boat and most people treat it fairly well.* They are checked out before using the boat and aren't turned loose until they show an ability to handle the boat.* Our boat is simple and easy to run.* On the advice of a knowledgeable friend, I added a sternthruster to go with the bowthruster.* He said "you will pay for the cost of the sternthruster in one season because of less docking damage".* I think he was right, we don't have a lot of rubs and dings from docking.

As to the boats being trashed, most of the boats in charter are clean, maintained and ready to get off the dock.* They have to be, it's a business.* In our marina I think that the charter boats are in the top 20%.* There was not one insurance claim this season out of a charter fleet of around 25-30 boats.* So many boats sit and grow moss and corrosion and never move.* I would prefer having our boat moving being used by someone to have a good time in the San Juan's.

I don't recommend recommend chartering to anyone.* Usually I don't even mention it.* Many boaters act like I'm pimping my sister.* It certainly isn't for you if you can't stand the idea of someone else using your stuff.* There are irritants such as having things reorganized by someone else when you get on the boat.* I plan on doing this for a couple more years until I have more time in the summers to use the boat.* I'll let you know if anything really bad happens that changes my plans.

Lyle
Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Guru

Well...it's a tough call....

Based on what I know about most boaters and what I read on these forums about new owners....LET THEM OPERATE MY BOAT FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS????...what are you kidding me???????

They ask questions from engines to heads to electrical systems that I'm suprised their car makes it to work every day.

To charter my boat to knowledgeable boaters might be great but unless you or a broker tests their knowledge before taking her out...it's a crapshoot.

As an assistance tower I se a lot...towing brokers, delivery capts, old timers, new boat owners...IT'S DOWNRIGHT SCARY OUT THERE!!!!*
Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The charter company that I'm with lets owners do the checkouts if they want to.* I'm not close enough to do that, but I've talked to many of the charterers.* I run Coastal Explorer on my boat and I am often the one talking them through their original questions.* Surprisingly, I've had commercial fishermen, owners of a Caribbean charter company and many very experienced (30 plus year) boaters on our boat.* Most of the people coming to the San Juans have their own boats, they just want to see the Northwest.* Maybe it's because it's 50', looks kind of commercial and is a single screw, but most inexperienced people seem to self select themselves out of chartering our boat.* I hope that continues.

The funniest story I heard was about the 747 pilot (not on my boat) that scared himself somehow, got to Friday Harbor about 10 miles from Anacortes, stayed at the dock for two days and then had to have a captain from the charter company come and bring him, his family and the boat back.* I know it's different on a boat, but I would think his training and experience would have given him the skills to do it or the judgement to know he wasn't prepared.

Lyle