Leaky generator raw water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Ok, like a good boy, I went to change the impeller on my generator...Kohler 8EOZ. I guess while I was yanking and pulling I might have upset the seal on the water pump. It is now leaking at about one drop per 5-8 seconds. And I have a big trip planned this weekend. And was planning on staying on the hook the entire weekend....which in Texas heat means generator running 24/7. How much time do you think I have before the thing gives up the ghost. Is there a good chance that it will last me the entire weekend? Is there a better chance that it won't??? I realize that it could die tomorrow or could last another year. But just looking for some experience where people might have relied on a known leaky pump.

Should I expect to see an increase in the time between leaks before failure??? And therefore monitoring the trend in leak period would be a tell tale sign of impending failure???

Am I crazy for even expecting reliable service out of this thing??? Am I crazy for using it knowing that it could fail??? The overheat relay is new and it does work. (I leaned across it last year and broke it...so had to replace it).

Last edited:
Baker

Can you find a replacement pump in your area? If it were me I'd stay up late and put in a new one. If it is a gear driven pump there is always the chance of water into oil as well as out the weep hole. If belt driven have the spare ready to go is the least I would do.

BTW, my RW genset - Johnson - gear driven pump went from a drip to a pour in less than an hour. I put on a new pump (flew it in from Seattle to AK) and now carry a spare.

Baker

Can you find a replacement pump in your area? If it were me I'd stay up late and put in a new one. If it is a gear driven pump there is always the chance of water into oil as well as out the weep hole. If belt driven have the spare ready to go is the least I would do.

BTW, my RW genset - Johnson - gear driven pump went from a drip to a pour in less than an hour. I put on a new pump (flew it in from Seattle to AK) and now carry a spare.

I am working on a spare....and it is belt driven. I also just secured marina space for Saturday and Sunday night so will just need the generator for 24 hours. They also said no one will be in that slip Friday night so it will be there if needed. So I guess I have my AC(both electrical and HVAC) needs covered. Just a matter of if I can do potential damage to the generator.

And thanks, Sunchaser, that is the kind of experience/info I was looking for....the drip to a pour in less than an hour. I am gonna go get pumped out and get fuel today. Probably at least an hour job. I will run it then to see how it goes.....

Good luck Baker, hope it works out for you. My belt driven circulation pump (not the raw water pump) had a drip that very slowly got worse over time. Probably a completely different type of seal though. I had to buy a new Oberdorfer pump as the one I had was in terrible shape.

Kevin

Some leaks clear up with run time, some get worse. Yours has a mechanical seal that should be zero leak. I'd replace the pump if possible. Put a towel under pump to catch anything that drips on it. Or a cup if you can make it fit.

On my Northern Lights unit, it uses a crappy lip type seal which is simply not appropriate for SW service. I cut up a cup that sits under the pump to catch any drips. If I see any water in the cup, I put a new seal in it. Done that like 3 times in 2100hrs. Too cheap to buy the upgraded pump.

My experience is mechanical seals, once they start to go, are pretty unpredictable, could leak a lot fast, but normally just make a mess instead of failing catastrophically. I would trust it for a bit, but not multiple days.

Really had to say...but a water drip is just that...no big deal unless it slings all over the place and the worst ...electricals. And no telling its rate to full demise.

I would chance it for one 24 hr period....unless one night, maybe half a night might be in misery and it isn't gonna happen.

Some leaks clear up with run time, some get worse. Yours has a mechanical seal that should be zero leak. I'd replace the pump if possible. Put a towel under pump to catch anything that drips on it. Or a cup if you can make it fit.

On my Northern Lights unit, it uses a crappy lip type seal which is simply not appropriate for SW service. I cut up a cup that sits under the pump to catch any drips. If I see any water in the cup, I put a new seal in it. Done that like 3 times in 2100hrs. Too cheap to buy the upgraded pump.

Thank y'all for all of the replies. I just got back from my trip and hadn't been on the internet. And Ski was correct....the leak went away. I guess I upset the seal when yanking and pulling on it and it found its groove again. No more leaking for now. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom