Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #81
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
There are vendors that make rescue air bags but it is easier to prevent needing them than having them aboard in the event they are needed. Some even have CO2 bottles to self-deploy. The problem is the pressure they put on everything else can break down bulkheads and everything else. I don't think I would want to be in the room when you set it off. or better have a good pocket knife. That almost sounds like a john candy flick when he did something with a life raft, if i recall correctly...
I know about those. They are rapid to inflate and with quite a force. My plan wouldn't be so intrusive and wouldn't damage the boat. I would test the system before taking it to sea. I think the thin pvc bags that are used to raise boats would work and could be folded to hide behind the padded vinyl ceiling cover. If I don't use the bags, I will go with painted decorative wood.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #82
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Not your boat... the PO already tried that one

Lol, true. Although since he wasn’t able to hole the boat hitting that rock at his cruise speed (he has more money than I and said his typical cruise speed was 9.5-10 kts), I shouldn’t hole my boat by avoiding sharp objects at 7 knots.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #83
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I know about those. They are rapid to inflate and with quite a force. My plan wouldn't be so intrusive and wouldn't damage the boat. I would test the system before taking it to sea. I think the thin pvc bags that are used to raise boats would work and could be folded to hide behind the padded vinyl ceiling cover. If I don't use the bags, I will go with painted decorative wood.
Don't know where you have seen thin PVC bags to raise boats. But the ones I have used are quite heavy.......and heavy duty...more so than most inflatables.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #84
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
If you can find the hole, best thing is to stuff something into it, maybe a pillow even. I wonder what the most common hull breach actually is, a hole, or a crack or both. and large holes, you just dont have much time to do anything at all.
Then it is the basic design on interior bulkheading that can help. like a boat in a boat, have compartments that could flood but not sink the boat, if possible, or maybe that could slow it going down.

i sealed the mid aft bulkhead to the hull, and made it watertight. That bulkhead is about 6 feet forward of the stern. And the boat is 37 feet long. Then I disconnected the AC seacock and let the water come in as a test, at first it came in pretty quick, but after about 6 inches of water, it slowed down, and after 8 inches it was just trickling in, and the boat had sunk in the aft section about 5 inches? maybe or so. It seemed to me it would slow an actual sinking event. It took a long time to pump it out with the rule 2000.

See there is this plywood bulkhead of 3/4" and I sealed it very well, and it certainly held back the flooding water from getting into the main part of the boat. My thinking was maybe easier for a shaft or strut hitting something to break the hull open in the rear of the boat, than a hole anywhere else.

other place maybe the bow striking an object could crack open the hull. But up ther no good place to create a bulkhead, it would never be high enough.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
For a small hole a quick plug can be made out of a wax toilet ring. It can be forced into place and molded to fill the opening.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't know where you have seen thin PVC bags to raise boats. But the ones I have used are quite heavy.......and heavy duty...more so than most inflatables.
The dock repair guys use them here on the lakes to raise docks and sunken boats next to docks. I don't know where they come from. I never thought to ask until I came up with the idea of using something inside the boat to displace water and add flotation. They aren't extremely heavy. The guys use tube-shaped bags that are about 5' x 3'. They carry several over their shoulder down to the lakeside. Three or four of those with a couple of psi should keep my boat at surface level.

I'm sure these are not the bags they use but they look very similar. I also like the name, Doowin Dooflex.

Inflatable Buoyancy Bags-inflatable buoyancy bags, salvage tube, lift bagsUnderwater Air Lift Bags, Crane Load Testing Water Weight Bags, Lifeboat Load Test Water Bags, Water Weight Bags, Savlage Tubes, Inflatable Fenders, Buoys, Water Tanks

Old 08-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #87
Guru

PVC coated.... and a 1000lb buoyancy bag weighs over 50lbs.

Salvage bags are pretty rugged as no one wants to lose a boat because the float bags get punctured.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
PVC coated.... and a 1000lb buoyancy bag weighs over 50lbs.

Salvage bags are pretty rugged as no one wants to lose a boat because the float bags get punctured.
1100lbs PVC bag is 10kg or 22.04623lbs.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #89
Guru

Correct...sorry...read 1000kg buoyancy instead of pounds.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Correct...sorry...read 1000kg buoyancy instead of pounds.
I get mixed up like that too.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #91

City: Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: TAMI II
Vessel Model: Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
For the PSS Shaft Seal, they make a small ss collar that goes in front of the stainless rotor as a back up. Should the rotor become loose, it will be stopped by the collar.
However, if you fasten the collar right next to the rotor, it might back you up but you won't know that it saved you.
If you fasten the collar a short distance ahead of the rotor, the collar will stop the rotor, and more importantly, you'll see that something has become loose and needs attention. I use the allen wrench that is used to tighten the collar as a spacer to create a measured distance between the collar and the rotor. So if I'm questioning whether something moved, and I can't get the allen wrench in, it moved.
Last month I found the rotor and collar mated against each other. No leaks. Repositioned the rotor and replaced all the set screws.
I think the spacing idea was suggested by the PYI tech I spoke with.

https://pyiinc.com/shaft-retention-collar.html
ORIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #92
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Pack it and forget it is my recommendation, if you still have the standard setup, dont switch, just use better packing.

GFO Packing | SG Group Div of MGP Systems Inc.

The navy wont be messing around with carbon seals.
Dead simple stupid is whats best.
Quote:
It’s already being used by the US Navy and Coast Guard and many commercial work and fishing fleets. And, it’s approved by the American Bureau of Shipping.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #93

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Quote:
<snip> Secondly, Would you put your vessel's future on something you got from Ebay?
What difference does it make where you buy it? A Rule 3700 from ebay is the same as the Rule 3700 from Fisheries Supply, Defender, or West Marine.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #94
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
For a small hole a quick plug can be made out of a wax toilet ring. It can be forced into place and molded to fill the opening.
Or a rubber ball... Anything that takes up part of the hole diameter slows the downflooding.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #95
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
What difference does it make where you buy it? A Rule 3700 from ebay is the same as the Rule 3700 from Fisheries Supply, Defender, or West Marine.
Not all things from Ebay are legit.
I purchased some Aquapel (rain-X) wipers from some vendor and 2 of 4 were empty, and the other two did NOTHING. There is a big problem with counterfeit products on eBay.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote