Lawsuit against Wake Boats in Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the go-to tactic for radical "environmental" organizations...lawsuits.

Here's one from 2018: https://mynorthwest.com/1082676/conservation-group-filing-lawsuit-to-protect-orca-whales/

According to the “Center for Biological Diversity's” web site, their version of "protecting the habitat" is this.

1. No powered vessel traffic allowed between April and October during the year.

2. November through March, all vessels in an "orca habitat" must proceed at no faster than a "no wake" speed.

The proposed habitat for the southern resident orca — included in the lawsuit — would extend the protected area from the current Puget Sound / Strait of Juan de Fuca area, down the West Coast to San Francisco.

This is where boating groups need to jump in and mitigate total insanity with a workable plan seen elsewhere like some of Floridas Manatee zones.

I dont see the vessels outlawed, just the way they are used.

Nothing wrong with wake boats, just like there are no bad dogs. It's always the owners who are the problem. And of course all those annoying people who do not own a wake boat and feel like they should be able to enjoy a quiet day out on the water. Killjoys, those folks.

Nothing wrong with wake boats

Until you see what a couple of wakeboats can do in a cove or small lake as the wakes start to reverberate off the shore. The entire place becomes a washing machine. kayaks, canoes, small fishing boats all become very unpleasant.

It one thing to make a wake in your boat, it’s another to have a boat with ballast tanks and a hull shape designed to make the biggest wake possible. And then to add a mega-watt sound system so the entire river or lake can hear you in their bathroom with the door closed a half mile inland. I’m sorry, but I have nothing good to say about wakeboard boats and would not shed a tear if I never saw (or heard) another one again.

Remember when people used ski boats that made as little wake as possible?

Like its not the gun, rather the human that pulls the trigger?

Couldn't resist.
Nothing wrong with wake boats, just like there are no bad dogs. It's always the owners who are the problem. And of course all those annoying people who do not own a wake boat and feel like they should be able to enjoy a quiet day out on the water. Killjoys, those folks.

Like its not the gun, rather the human that pulls the trigger?

Couldn't resist.

I left England in 1986. I spent some 21 years of my life in Oregon, then moved to Canada. Americans have never understood the British sense of humour. Quite often that's a blessing, because it means we can get away with a lot.

Please re-read my post and see if you can come to a different conclusion. I doubt it, but try.

I'll add a clue. Five letters, starts with an i and ends in a y.
tic toc tic toc tic toc......

Last edited:
I live on a boat. This conservation is why I don't live in a marina or a neighborhood.
And it's not the gun unless it has AI.

We live above a popular ski/wake lake in the PNW. We use to ski almost every day after work and early on the weekends. The old Moomba ski boat was quite, no radio, and had about a 4" wake at 35mph. We sold it three years ago after the wake boats got popular, we could no longer use the little ski boat as it would get bounced around too much with the big wakes. Like I said we live above the lake, the raido's now days shake my windows and were a 1/8 mile away. I know the younger kids do their thing just like we did in our day. So we sold the Moomba, gave up on skiing, and just watch the cops bust the kids for excessive noise, drinking, rekless driving. I would love to see the wake boats get banned, they cause so much damage to the docks/beach. I would also like to see the jet ski's have a time limit or a noise limit, Im tired of bees buzzing from 5am to 10pm in the summer. I might just be old and cranky and need to move.

I left England in 1986. I spent some 21 years of my life in Oregon, then moved to Canada. Americans have never understood the British sense of humour. Quite often that's a blessing, because it means we can get away with a lot.

Please re-read my post and see if you can come to a different conclusion. I doubt it, but try.

I'll add a clue. Five letters, starts with an i and ends in a y.
tic toc tic toc tic toc......

No insult intended.

British humor? What that? LOL When I lived in England my favorite show was Benny Hill!!!

Like as in snowboards?

Because all skiers are polite and boarders are thugs?

HOLLYWOOD

Purveyors of: Think there's nothing wrong with wake boats, jet skies, snowboards or snowmobiles on ski slopes, battered RV's parked on residential streets and lived in, dilapidated boats anchored out and used as homes, squatters making life in abandoned houses, Congress persons being reelected and insured forever, Executives in companies making 500 to 1000 times the income/wage of company workers, a President that thinks it's a King.

Hell - There seems to be nothing wrong with any of that in this 21st Century!!

Rant Over... !!! :dance: :D

And boards should be banned on ski slopes.

Yep, as I find myself falling into the old man yelling at people to keep off my lawn I realized it was time to sell the ski boat and move on. Let the kids have their fun just as I did. As I am sure back in the day people were upset that we were skinning at dawn every day, the fishermen sure did hate us!

Far as boards vs Skies I dislike the snow so it was never a problem.

One more reason to love wakeboard boats: invasive species. How do you inspect or dry out ballast tanks and bags? No wonder Quagga Mussels have spread so quickly across our lakes and rivers.

I find it ironic that the one aspect of boating that is most regulated: wakes, has an entire sub-set of the industry committed to making the biggest ones possible. Ain’t life crazy?

Last edited:
Let`s not make it a political issue. It`s about the safety and comfort of all water users. Those who operate vessels to the serious detriment of others should change behavior and if it takes legislation or regulation so be it. Jetskis are banned from Sydney Harbour due to generalized misconduct, and rightly so imo.

Let`s not make it a political issue. It`s about the safety and comfort of all water users. Those who operate vessels to the serious detriment of others should change behavior and if it takes legislation or regulation so be it. Jetskis are banned from Sydney Harbour due to generalized misconduct, and rightly so imo.

The problem of banning "jetskis" is that it is not the watercraft that is at issue, its the way it is commonly used. The problem I have with banning them is the same moron that spins doughnuts on a jetski.. can do it in a boat (but it isn't nearly as fun). Its like outlawing all cars because some folks speed. Regulate the action, not the machine. Have you seen the people that offshore fish on a jetski?, so if that guy navigates out of his marina in a thoughtful and cautious manner it should be illegal?. Dont get me wrong.. I have been buzzed by jetskis and its no fun.. but i did motion to the guy to come alongside and asked nicely if he could do it further away from the boats and he got the hint and moved away. The water is for ALL of us.. how we use it around others is what allows us keep doing what we love.

And as you might of guessed I AM a snowboarder and a snow skier, wake boarder and water skier, kite boarder and ride dirt bikes drive fast cars and I shoot black guns.. but I do try to not negatively impact others in my pursuit of Adrenalin.

HOLLYWOOD

Let's face it, the reason there is a speed limit on the ICW is to prevent death and injury to things that live in the ICW (manatee), bank erosion and damage to boats tied to docks, prevent the discomfort of rocking and rolling to those boats anchored and other boats traversing the ICW.
Now here some boats designed to create large wakes so people can ride their boards.
Where is the logic?
Soooo, if you wanna create a big wake, take it outside to the ocean. Give the dolphins some excitement too.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of the song;

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I think we need to outlaw spoons. I saw a fat person...

The problem of banning "jetskis" is that it is not the watercraft that is at issue, its the way it is commonly used. The problem I have with banning them is the same moron that spins doughnuts on a jetski.. can do it in a boat (but it isn't nearly as fun). Its like outlawing all cars because some folks speed. Regulate the action, not the machine. Have you seen the people that offshore fish on a jetski?, so if that guy navigates out of his marina in a thoughtful and cautious manner it should be illegal?. Dont get me wrong.. I have been buzzed by jetskis and its no fun.. but i did motion to the guy to come alongside and asked nicely if he could do it further away from the boats and he got the hint and moved away. The water is for ALL of us.. how we use it around others is what allows us keep doing what we love.

And as you might of guessed I AM a snowboarder and a snow skier, wake boarder and water skier, kite boarder and ride dirt bikes drive fast cars and I shoot black guns.. but I do try to not negatively impact others in my pursuit of Adrenalin.

HOLLYWOOD
I agree,education/persuasion before banning. We had idiots using their jetski wake to drive out and drown nestlings in a nest some (I think)sea eagles unwisely built on a channel marker.There was no educating them. Many of the badly behaved on water are badly behaved or even antisocial, in life generally. They don`t respond well to reason, and that`s where limiting their negative impact on others, as you mention, comes in.

I'm reminded of the song;

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I think we need to outlaw spoons. I saw a fat person...

Signs are a reminder of our missing common sense.

Some may not be aware that it is illegal to run a "jetski" in San Juan county. Aka the San Juan islands in state of Washington..

Since I started carrying a spud gun on the boat the wakeboard boats tend to give us a wide berth.

Since I started carrying a spud gun on the boat the wakeboard boats tend to give us a wide berth.

Would be better if you had a reasonably high pressure water cannon. No projectiles to connect you to the event. WINK

Or a pump on my riverboat. Angle it just right apply a short burst of throttle and everyone is wet
Would be better if you had a reasonably high pressure water cannon. No projectiles to connect you to the event. WINK

There was a short video posted a while back on TF,some kind of photoshop production. A small heat seeking missile fired from a Hobie cat scored a bullseye on a jetski. Not that anyone would advocate that kind of violence, but it was very cleverly done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom