Lawsuit against Wake Boats in Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Linda and I enjoy watching the youngsters' antics on jet skis, while at anchor, sipping cool ones on our sun deck; underneath the bimini.

We do hand motions as well as cup our hands to our mouths hollering for them to rev things up and do stunts for us. They become our friends for the hour, put on a great show and are very respectful to our boat's whereabouts while they perform for us.

It's good to be [stay] friendly with youngsters. We once were [and occasionally still think we are] "Youngsters"!!

:dance::dance: :speed boat::speed boat:

Along the lines of Art's comments, I've had a few jetskis signal me to power up when I've been going slow, as they wanted to jump my wake (but can't really do that at 7 kts). Depending on the situation, there are times I'd consider going for it.

I had never seen or heard of wake boarding until on Lake Powell a few years ago in my C Dory. I was on plane and I saw a boat hogging along a quarter mile away and the owner waving the international distress signal. It looked like the boat was going down but still making way. I turned and went towards him and he started waving for me to slow down. Then I could see that somebody was standing in the water behind him. What the ??? By slowing down, I put out a fairly large wake as I continued on. The boater was freaking out. The kid fell off the board. I could hear music blasting. Weird.

Stop playing that flute, I can't hear my handgun. There are some "multiple uses" that just don't work together.

Or a pump on my riverboat. Angle it just right apply a short burst of throttle and everyone is wet

Personally, I think wake boats (not jet skis) should require a license. The fee to acquire this license is to buy Tom a new Dockhouse every year in penance.

Interesting, I've never seen a wake boat in action. Is this primarily a West coast thing?

Ted

Interesting, I've never seen a wake boat in action. Is this primarily a West coast thing?

Ted

It’s very popular on the inland lakes and rivers in the East. Lower Susquehanna River behind the dams, Lake Raystown etc. I really don’t see it in the Chesapeake.

Personally, I think wake boats (not jet skis) should require a license. The fee to acquire this license is to buy Tom a new Dockhouse every year in penance.

Well I almost forgot that.

A jet riverboat's (not a wake boat) wake tore my 12 X 12 shed away from the dock. 58K of damage. He was found guilty of reckless operation of a boat. Ordered to pay 34K in damages at $50 a month.

However: This all happened in a "No Wake" zone.

Ted

Popular with the younger generation on lakes, rivers etc, as flat water is a must have. The youngsters that would snowboard, skateboard, surf etc would be inclined to wake-board/wake-surf. One can either use a single wake-board (much like a snowboard) with boot /foot attachments or surf the large wakes on a small surfboard,right behind the boat, with no boots. Jumping the wake in wake-boarding takes skill and practice and is athletic as hell.

I've done both in my younger days, but preferred the wake-surfing as it mimics real surfing that I have done my entire life. Also no boots makes the possibility of injury much less, as you simply fall off the board. Wake-surfing also requires much slower speeds than wake-boarding, which again cuts down on the chance of injury, especially lower extremity injuries.

These kids are GOOD!

Well I almost forgot that.

A jet riverboat's (not a wake boat) wake tore my 12 X 12 shed away from the dock. 58K of damage. He was found guilty of reckless operation of a boat. Ordered to pay 34K in damages at $50 a month.

However: This all happened in a "No Wake" zone.

So by my math, the bill will paid off in 56.66 years! Sounds reasonable to me!:facepalm:

There are youngsters' very expensive wakeboard boats...

and...

There are youngsters' very affordable party board boats! LOL

Attachments

• 55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 40
So by my math, the bill will paid off in 56.66 years! Sounds reasonable to me!:facepalm:

Sorry folks, that was not painful enough
AND the discouraging thing is, he will do it again.

Irony?

Brits are definitely sarcastic and so am I.

And they use the very bad C word across the pond. Not funny here.

Wake boats

We live on a cut in the watts bar lake and wake boats come in often and the potential for damaging docks and the foreshore is great, also if we are on our floating dock you have to sit down or grab hold of something not get get dumped in the lake and working on a small boat impossible. Reports to the Twra does no good as there are no rules for wake boats and asking them to move out to the lake where they can’t cause any problems is usually greeted with “this isn’t a no wake zone” so they can do what they want.

Hi I live in lake havasu city wake boats are everywhere dont mind them at all as long as they dont cross my bow at 130mph my breaks don't work at that speed

These kids are GOOD!

Very athletic and specialized and should be limited to areas reserved for them, just like ski slopes don't cross hiking paths (as far as I know). Then any of us old fogeys who don't want their monohulls unexpectedly and dangerously rolled can stay the heck away or secure for e sea going there. Luckily we have none hereabouts. The rat packs of 6-8-10 rental jet skis passing endlessly by the area's premier day time anchorage are bad enough.

The only good thing the jet ski industry has done is to significantly silence their former loud whine. I can sit here in my waterfront home and not even hear the occasional skier - ok by me.

No, no, no, not thugs. There's a reason that they are called shredders. In new snow their turns create deep, wide troughs in the snow ruining the experience for others that follow. There are two areas that do not allow ski boards. One is Alta in Utah. The other is in the Northeast somewhere. Plus, when a boarder is moving fast, they have far less ability to check their speed and make sharp turns. They are here to stay. I don't have to like them but boarders are indeed not thugs.
Like as in snowboards?

Because all skiers are polite and boarders are thugs?

HOLLYWOOD

Communist?

Funny.

Sorry, my post was a reply to an earlier post from Bob Noodat, but I forgot to quote him as follows:

“I left England in 1986. I spent some 21 years of my life in Oregon, then moved to Canada. Americans have never understood the British sense of humour. Quite often that's a blessing, because it means we can get away with a lot.

Please re-read my post and see if you can come to a different conclusion. I doubt it, but try.

I'll add a clue. Five letters, starts with an i and ends in a y.
tic toc tic toc tic toc......”

We live on a cut in the watts bar lake and wake boats come in often and the potential for damaging docks and the foreshore is great, also if we are on our floating dock you have to sit down or grab hold of something not get get dumped in the lake and working on a small boat impossible. Reports to the Twra does no good as there are no rules for wake boats and asking them to move out to the lake where they can’t cause any problems is usually greeted with “this isn’t a no wake zone” so they can do what they want.

Per state and federal law, an operator is responsible for his or her vessel's wake and any damage or personal injury it may cause.

I'm reminded of the song;

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I think we need to outlaw spoons. I saw a fat person...

This made me LOL ?. Thanks.

No, no, no, not thugs. There's a reason that they are called shredders. In new snow their turns create deep, wide troughs in the snow ruining the experience for others that follow. There are two areas that do not allow ski boards. One is Alta in Utah. The other is in the Northeast somewhere. Plus, when a boarder is moving fast, they have far less ability to check their speed and make sharp turns. They are here to stay. I don't have to like them but boarders are indeed not thugs.

And then it snows .. or gets groomed and all is new. You want virgin snow.. get up earlier. Snowboards don't do any more "harm" than a new skier wedging down the mountain. And they have the same right to be there that you do. Also as both a skier and boarder I can assure you I have just as much control in all conditions except pure ice.. then boarders dont have enough edge.

HOLLYWOOD

And then it snows .. or gets groomed and all is new. You want virgin snow.. get up earlier. Snowboards don't do any more "harm" than a new skier wedging down the mountain. And they have the same right to be there that you do. Also as both a skier and boarder I can assure you I have just as much control in all conditions except pure ice.. then boarders dont have enough edge.

HOLLYWOOD
I didn't say that boarders do not have a right to be there. In fact, I said I accept the fact that they are here to stay. And what skier wedges down a powder slope. It's impossible to do so. Wedge skiers confine themselves necessarily to groomed beginner and maybe intermediate slopes. And you may have as much control as a skier but my sense is that you are an expert skier/boarder and that makes some sense. But, to say that that is true except on pure ice is ridiculous. Boarders on hardpack just cannot check there speed nearly as well as a skier regardless of skill level. A board has, what, maybe 24 inches of edge with which to bear into into the slope while a skier has two edges maybe 40 inches each. I have been skiing for 50 years, in the Northeast where ice and hardpack are prevalent and in the West where perfect conditions are often the norm. Occasionally, I have observed skiers out of control. Boarders much more often. Undeniable facts, in my opinion. Still, I do not deny you your privilege of being on the slopes on a board. I can say this. Whenever I hear a boarder coming down the slope I immediately look up out of fear of being crashed into. It happens far more often with boarders than skiers.

Guess I could say the same about many boaters... I see many coming and know the outcome may not go as planned.

Per state and federal law, an operator is responsible for his or her vessel's wake and any damage or personal injury it may cause.

And try to get a prosecutor to charge someone with that. It is a federal law and the USCG does not have the time or resources, so I was told.

The same for any state law.

I have direct experience with this. In my case they charge the operator with "reckless operation of a vessel." A misdemeanor in the State of Washington. They would not charge with a felony. $55K in damages.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom