Old 02-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Let`s not make it a political issue. It`s about the safety and comfort of all water users. Those who operate vessels to the serious detriment of others should change behavior and if it takes legislation or regulation so be it. Jetskis are banned from Sydney Harbour due to generalized misconduct, and rightly so imo.

The problem of banning "jetskis" is that it is not the watercraft that is at issue, its the way it is commonly used. The problem I have with banning them is the same moron that spins doughnuts on a jetski.. can do it in a boat (but it isn't nearly as fun). Its like outlawing all cars because some folks speed. Regulate the action, not the machine. Have you seen the people that offshore fish on a jetski?, so if that guy navigates out of his marina in a thoughtful and cautious manner it should be illegal?. Dont get me wrong.. I have been buzzed by jetskis and its no fun.. but i did motion to the guy to come alongside and asked nicely if he could do it further away from the boats and he got the hint and moved away. The water is for ALL of us.. how we use it around others is what allows us keep doing what we love.

And as you might of guessed I AM a snowboarder and a snow skier, wake boarder and water skier, kite boarder and ride dirt bikes drive fast cars and I shoot black guns.. but I do try to not negatively impact others in my pursuit of Adrenalin.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Let's face it, the reason there is a speed limit on the ICW is to prevent death and injury to things that live in the ICW (manatee), bank erosion and damage to boats tied to docks, prevent the discomfort of rocking and rolling to those boats anchored and other boats traversing the ICW.
Now here some boats designed to create large wakes so people can ride their boards.
Where is the logic?
Soooo, if you wanna create a big wake, take it outside to the ocean. Give the dolphins some excitement too.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
I'm reminded of the song;

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I think we need to outlaw spoons. I saw a fat person...
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
The problem of banning "jetskis" is that it is not the watercraft that is at issue, its the way it is commonly used. The problem I have with banning them is the same moron that spins doughnuts on a jetski.. can do it in a boat (but it isn't nearly as fun). Its like outlawing all cars because some folks speed. Regulate the action, not the machine. Have you seen the people that offshore fish on a jetski?, so if that guy navigates out of his marina in a thoughtful and cautious manner it should be illegal?. Dont get me wrong.. I have been buzzed by jetskis and its no fun.. but i did motion to the guy to come alongside and asked nicely if he could do it further away from the boats and he got the hint and moved away. The water is for ALL of us.. how we use it around others is what allows us keep doing what we love.

And as you might of guessed I AM a snowboarder and a snow skier, wake boarder and water skier, kite boarder and ride dirt bikes drive fast cars and I shoot black guns.. but I do try to not negatively impact others in my pursuit of Adrenalin.

HOLLYWOOD
I agree,education/persuasion before banning. We had idiots using their jetski wake to drive out and drown nestlings in a nest some (I think)sea eagles unwisely built on a channel marker.There was no educating them. Many of the badly behaved on water are badly behaved or even antisocial, in life generally. They don`t respond well to reason, and that`s where limiting their negative impact on others, as you mention, comes in.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
I'm reminded of the song;

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I think we need to outlaw spoons. I saw a fat person...
Signs are a reminder of our missing common sense.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Some may not be aware that it is illegal to run a "jetski" in San Juan county. Aka the San Juan islands in state of Washington..
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #27
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Since I started carrying a spud gun on the boat the wakeboard boats tend to give us a wide berth.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Since I started carrying a spud gun on the boat the wakeboard boats tend to give us a wide berth.
Would be better if you had a reasonably high pressure water cannon. No projectiles to connect you to the event. WINK
Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #29
Guru

Or a pump on my riverboat. Angle it just right apply a short burst of throttle and everyone is wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Would be better if you had a reasonably high pressure water cannon. No projectiles to connect you to the event. WINK
Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There was a short video posted a while back on TF,some kind of photoshop production. A small heat seeking missile fired from a Hobie cat scored a bullseye on a jetski. Not that anyone would advocate that kind of violence, but it was very cleverly done.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:03 AM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Linda and I enjoy watching the youngsters' antics on jet skis, while at anchor, sipping cool ones on our sun deck; underneath the bimini.

We do hand motions as well as cup our hands to our mouths hollering for them to rev things up and do stunts for us. They become our friends for the hour, put on a great show and are very respectful to our boat's whereabouts while they perform for us.

It's good to be [stay] friendly with youngsters. We once were [and occasionally still think we are] "Youngsters"!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #32
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Along the lines of Art's comments, I've had a few jetskis signal me to power up when I've been going slow, as they wanted to jump my wake (but can't really do that at 7 kts). Depending on the situation, there are times I'd consider going for it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
And boards should be banned on ski slopes.

Inboards or outboards?
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #34
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Inboards or outboards?
It's just another singles versus twins argument.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #35
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I had never seen or heard of wake boarding until on Lake Powell a few years ago in my C Dory. I was on plane and I saw a boat hogging along a quarter mile away and the owner waving the international distress signal. It looked like the boat was going down but still making way. I turned and went towards him and he started waving for me to slow down. Then I could see that somebody was standing in the water behind him. What the ??? By slowing down, I put out a fairly large wake as I continued on. The boater was freaking out. The kid fell off the board. I could hear music blasting. Weird.

Stop playing that flute, I can't hear my handgun. There are some "multiple uses" that just don't work together.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #36

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Model: 1977 37' Puget Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Or a pump on my riverboat. Angle it just right apply a short burst of throttle and everyone is wet

Personally, I think wake boats (not jet skis) should require a license. The fee to acquire this license is to buy Tom a new Dockhouse every year in penance.
WayneDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Interesting, I've never seen a wake boat in action. Is this primarily a West coast thing?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #38

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Interesting, I've never seen a wake boat in action. Is this primarily a West coast thing?

Ted

It’s very popular on the inland lakes and rivers in the East. Lower Susquehanna River behind the dams, Lake Raystown etc. I really don’t see it in the Chesapeake.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDana2 View Post
Personally, I think wake boats (not jet skis) should require a license. The fee to acquire this license is to buy Tom a new Dockhouse every year in penance.

Well I almost forgot that.

A jet riverboat's (not a wake boat) wake tore my 12 X 12 shed away from the dock. 58K of damage. He was found guilty of reckless operation of a boat. Ordered to pay 34K in damages at $50 a month.

However: This all happened in a "No Wake" zone.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted

Popular with the younger generation on lakes, rivers etc, as flat water is a must have. The youngsters that would snowboard, skateboard, surf etc would be inclined to wake-board/wake-surf. One can either use a single wake-board (much like a snowboard) with boot /foot attachments or surf the large wakes on a small surfboard,right behind the boat, with no boots. Jumping the wake in wake-boarding takes skill and practice and is athletic as hell.

I've done both in my younger days, but preferred the wake-surfing as it mimics real surfing that I have done my entire life. Also no boots makes the possibility of injury much less, as you simply fall off the board. Wake-surfing also requires much slower speeds than wake-boarding, which again cuts down on the chance of injury, especially lower extremity injuries.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote