Launch day! Weebles, 1970 Willard 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Weebles was launched about 10 mins ago in Ensenada MX. She's been on the hard with full paint, hard top, and a million other mods for over a year.

More updates go come.
IMG-20210105-WA0010__01.jpg

IMG-20210105-WA0024.jpeg
Screenshot_20210105-151813.jpg

Last edited:
She's looking good! Hopefully everything works just as well.

She looks awsome,time to enjoy her now,such an awsome vessel she must be immaculate

Looks very nice. Congrats on your refurbishment.

Bristol fashion and best kind!!!
Keep the keel wet and flags dry

She still has a couple months of commissioning work to be done, but will be done in the slip vs yard. Engine has not been started, new window glass, generator, new stabilizers have to be dialed-in, electronics installed and calibrated, etc., etc, etc,.

But a bit step in the right direction. Super pleased.

Peter

A few more pics. She's at her slip at Cruiseport Village Marina, Ensenada. She has a few degree port list - will need to move some trim ballast once commissioning is complete. IMG-20210105-WA0028.jpegIMG-20210105-WA0027__01.jpegIMG-20210105-WA0022.jpeg

Congratulations, you must be so excited!

I've heard Ensenada is the place to have major work done at a reasonable price. Was communication pain free for the work you had done?

Also, that looks like a custom made hardtop with solar on top? Did they do the design and fabrication at the yard?

Great looking vessel! :thumb:

Last edited:
Congratulations, you must be so excited!

I've heard Ensenada is the place to have major work done at a reasonable price. Was communication pain free for the work you had done?

There are many long, long story to be written on having work done. First, having a lot of work done at once is one story. Having it done a long distance away is another story. Doing it in a foreign country is yet another story. At some point, I'll figure out how to describe everything I've learned, but I am pleased with the results thus far. But much of the success has been I am pretty knowledgeable on boat systems so I had a strong vision of how I wanted things done. Had I tried this 25 years ago, it would have been a disaster.

I'll say this: people who have work done in low-cost labor markets often say "you gotta be there or else they'll screw-up;" the implication being that someone has to ride-herd on workers or they'll rob you blind (or won't do stuff). My experience in boats, life, and corporate world is that if people do not have a clear direction to go, they will wander off and do something else. Being able to know what you want - and I mean really know not just the outcome, but the details to get to the outcome, makes a world of difference. You just can't say "want the fresh water pump moved" and expect it to be moved unless you're precise on where you want it moved to, and you think through if anything is coming in behind it that may interfere with access.

Probably the biggest single item I keep reminding myself of is that the people who work on boats seldom have much experience using them. They are great mechanics, electricians, carpenters, etc. But they do not know the deeper aspects of marine construction. If you can't bring that to the table, then there is no hope for a quality outcome.

Peter

Hardtop is indeed custom and built to my design - I am fussy about the lines, and wanted the forward edge to follow the curve of the flybridge bonnet which it does. I might have it moved aftward a bit as it looks a little boxy.

Construction of the hardtop is glass over 1/2" divinyl cell closed cell foam. The boat used to have a 25-foot wooden mast with heavy radome mounted on 1-1/2" tubular SS mount, and while I've added a bit of weight aloft, probably not much. The pictures do not show the camber in it, but it has about a 6-inch bow with the center being high. There are benches outboard so full standing heardroom is not needed there.

The boat is setup for tropics. I added a couple ports in the forward stateroom (Newfound Metals - super nice people to work with). The flybridge seating has been reconfigured. It had a thwart-seat that was about 6-feet wide. It was fine, but I really wanted a pair of long benches for outdoor sleeping and lounging. So the old seating was torn-out, and 6-foot benches built and installed. So center is standing headroom, though not generous headroom (I'm 5'11" - it's about 6'5" headroom in center when standing at helm).

Peter

Are you going to put solar panels on top? Did you put in a section of glass above the helm section so you could easily see the sky? Is there a drip edge? We did the first two but not the last. Wish we did. Then could collect water for washing the boat. Even with a watermaker you can’t have too much fresh water in the tropics.

My boat was just splashed after a 20 month refit. My one piece of advise for you is keep it local for at least 6 months once yours is done and first sea trial completed. A lot of small diddly stuff will crop up, I promise. One of my new windshield wipers doesn't work properly, much much too slow. my fuel gauges don't work, my radar dome was put on backwards, etc, etc.

Even if you don't go anywhere, stay on the boat and use as many systems as you can, even if it is just electronics sitting at the marina. And if you get new electronics, chances are really good it won't have been updated.

My own refit guy gave me this advise. I said to him I was going to go from Comox down to Vancouver to get the break in on the engine done in one day. He highly recommended I stay local and to look for needed adjustments, replacements, and fixes. He wasn't wrong.

What a cool boat! Love all the room in the cockpit.

Congrats on the successful refit.

Are you going to put solar panels on top? Did you put in a section of glass above the helm section so you could easily see the sky? Is there a drip edge? We did the first two but not the last. Wish we did. Then could collect water for washing the boat. Even with a watermaker you can’t have too much fresh water in the tropics.
800w solar on the hard top. Never occurred to me to put a glass pane in but frankly, the solar takes up much of the entire hard top, and radar dome will take up rest.

Drip edge is a good idea - wish I'd thought of it at the beginning as I would definitely have included in original design. I may noodle on adding it as it wouldn't be too difficult. Hard top is 7' x 11' so definitely can collect some serious water in a typical tropic downpour.

My boat was just splashed after a 20 month refit. My one piece of advise for you is keep it local for at least 6 months once yours is done and first sea trial completed. A lot of small diddly stuff will crop up, I promise. One of my new windshield wipers doesn't work properly, much much too slow. my fuel gauges don't work, my radar dome was put on backwards, etc, etc.

Even if you don't go anywhere, stay on the boat and use as many systems as you can, even if it is just electronics sitting at the marina. And if you get new electronics, chances are really good it won't have been updated.

My own refit guy gave me this advise. I said to him I was going to go from Comox down to Vancouver to get the break in on the engine done in one day. He highly recommended I stay local and to look for needed adjustments, replacements, and fixes. He wasn't wrong.
Definitely planning on extended sea trials. My original plan was to hang around within 300 nms or so. Then it morphed into heading to PNW for the summer and stop back for repairs in the fall. Then with covid, morphed into shipping her to Florida and start cruising here. Current thinking is to spend several months in sea trials and tweaks, then do a semi-delivery myself back to Florida. I really miss long runs so idea of bringing her home on her bottom is appealing.

Who knows.

Always feels good to get them back in.

This picture had me thinking for minute I was looking at a modern Damen Trawler bow
Paint and s/s plate were deceptive

attachment.php

images

Peter,
That is a magnificent bow!
Well done.
Like your “Willard grey” cap rails.

Are you in the bottom pic at the bottom of post #1?

When are you coming north?

Congratulations it looks flat out amazing !

VERY stunning, that top is perfectly matched to that SHINY boat. What a beautiful craft. Glad you are on to the next step!

A couple "before" pics when she went into the yard last June. IMG-20190506-WA0007.jpegIMG-20190506-WA0005.jpeg

Additional pictures from a few weeks ago. Non-skid has since been done. IMG_20201026_161902.jpegIMG_20201026_161920.jpegIMG_20201026_161833.jpeg

The flybridge seating was reconfigured. First picture shows original with thwart bench. It was serviceable but not great. I'm not a fan of steadying sales, plus Weebles has active fins. Only thing it was good for was to hoist the dinghy. And it was in the way of a large hard top. Coupled with her new home will eventually be ICW with its bridges, I decided to remove the mast and replace with a Nick Jackson davit.

Second picture shows the old bench cutaway - you can clearly see the molded fiberglass gaps. The benches are large, coffin sized boxes that slide into the open slot shown and glassed in place. There was some minot rot and delamination beneath the old bench that was repaired and reglassed.

Third picture is Cheryll and I when we visited pre-covid, before the boat was painted. Note how much fairing needs to be done, and all the holes that were filled and fiberglassed. When people get their first breathtaking quote to paint a boat, I don't think it occurs to them the amount of repair and prep work is required.

Fourth picture is a resend from yesterday. I don't have a great picture of the painted benches. But you can sort of see the flybridge. Helm wheel is not installed. The 30-inch tall box on port side of bench is the propane locker. IMG_9564.jpgIMG-20190508-WA0000.jpegIMG-20191129-WA0002.jpegIMG-20210105-WA0027__01__01__01.jpeg

Wonderful and so livable. Could you share your vendors and a brief critique of who’s good and who’s not so much on the folks who did the work?

Wonderful and so livable. Could you share your vendors and a brief critique of who’s good and who’s not so much on the folks who did the work?

First, helpful to know that south of San Diego, there is exactly one yard for the entire 800 nm peninsula until Cabo San Lucas, and for most people, really not until you round the cape with to La Paz, an additional 200 nms.

The one yard is Baja Naval in Ensenada, 75 nms south of the US/MX border. I did not use them because I did not have a good experience with them and I cannot recommend Baja Naval. They've been around since the 1980s and have a reputation for quality work at fair prices - but they also have a smattering of reviews stating bait/switch - that they bid work at just below SoCal yard rates, which was certainly my experience. I fully understand the paint work was difficult to bid from pictures (it more than doubled). But there were a couple new-build items such as the hardtop that more than doubled too. Their explanation was "oops- sorry, we were wrong." Their explanation for the doubling of cost to repaint was "turns out all the gelcoat must be removed - all of it!" I talked to two marine coatings' technical teams who did not support that statement. Not even close. I can't say whether they just didn't want the work, or if they thought I was a captive audience now that I had come 500 nms from San Francisco. But they were nice people, but no way would I do business with them.

So who did I use? I'm a bit coy about that. Through another forum of Mexico sailor/cruisers, I found a small group of workers who were ex-Baja Naval doing work. I will be selective in my recommendation for them. I will say they have been very honest with me which is, by far, the highest priority for doing work at a distance. Their fiberglass and paint work is excellent and very reasonable. The entire boat was prepped including all those holes in the flybridge; and many dozen more; and the caprails encapsulated in fiberglass for about $25k (Baja Naval originally gave me an estimate of $25k, then it more than doubled when I arrived - too be fair, even with over 100 pictures, the extent of the work could not be fully appreciated, though the 'all gelcoat must be removed' was not a supportable statement and explanation).

Hippo, you've had at least one boat built. TwistedTree is on his second Nordhavn, and there are a couple more serial-new-boat folks on this forum. I tip my hat to you guys (especially TT as his Nordhavn is truly massive). The amount of decisions and details that go into a new build is daunting - unless you've been through it, there's no explaining the amount of time, focus, and detail is needed.

Without diminishing the new-build challenge, doing it with a young group at a distance was a near-daily challenge of sketches (several hundred of them) and snap decisions. I have exchanged 1000s of pictures with the good folks I've worked with yet when I scan trying to find good examples to show folks such as those attached to this thread, they are a needle in a haystack of super-detail pictures of close-up pictures that are meaningless to anyone but them and me.

Doing a major refit (I'm calling it a "Resto-Mod," a term I picked-up watching Velocity Channel) is a PhD in boat ownership. Set aside the time and money - if a person does not have the base knowledge of systems, some decent mechanical aptitude, and resourcefulness to actually find stuff, this will be a disaster unless you use one of a very small handful of yards in the world. And they will come at a princely sum, and rightfully so - they are truly master craftsmen who would be unwilling to do things anyway except the one they know to be right.

A long intro to say that I cannot in good conscious recommend what I did, even if you're okay with the expense. As a young pup, I worked my way through college as a draftsman, then a technical illustrator, and much of my current work is paralegal-technical writing (hard to believe given the number of typos in my posts, to which I blame Android). I believe I have above average technical communication skills. They were stretched to the limit.

I could go on and on. But suffice to say, I am happy with the outcome, I am proud to breath new life into a 50-year old boat, and I cannot wait to get her dirty all over again from tons of use. The only explanation my wife accepts is "Cheryll, I know this was a stupid expense. I can afford to do this once in my life - just once. We've owned the boat for 22+ years. There is no prize for dying the richest person in the graveyard." She's okay with that.

Peter

Last edited:
Very nice refit. Love the hardtop and color combination.

The first picture is launch day in 1970, Newport Beach CA. Willards (commercial craft - no trawlers since 2000) are still built in Costa Mesa and trucked several miles to the sea. Note the aft deck hard top stops short as per the original Wm Garden design, presumably to aid fishing and such which never made sense to me as there is a large built-in bench in the fantail. Several W36s were constructed with the hardtop extended to the stern, rounded of course.

After 50 years of supporting a dinghy, the center of the span had lost its camber. As part of the work to extend the hardtop and make the back deck more suitable for the sun and rain of the tropics, I wanted the camber re-formed. Was not as simple as I thought - it was a stubborn chunk of structure that would be simply bent back into place. Relief kerfs were cut in the upper skin and the camber forced into place, plus a SS mini-beam across the span between the original supports. Problem solved. Should be good for another 50 years. taras_1__01.jpegIMG-20200702-WA0004.jpegIMG-20190529-WA0004.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious if you considered any synthetic teak decking over top of the non-skid instead of re-doing it.

I didn't even think to consider it, mostly because I didn't think to consider it. For some reason, it just doesn't seem like the right material for a Willard even though it was an option for the cockpit area.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom